The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How did you guys end up deciding on your topics?

I have about 3 topics running around in my head.

I've just finished 1st year (I know). But we have to opt for the dissertation module in Sem 2 (Feb 2017) and we all know how fast uni and Sem 1 goes.

I feel like thinking about it now gives me motivation to succeed in my 2nd year modules if that makes sense?

And I don't want to be thinking too much about this when I have stuff to actually do when it comes to term time in a couple of months!
I actually got a first in my dissertation. So happy, I've never spent so much time on any piece of work before, so I am glad it went well. :biggrin:
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
How did you guys end up deciding on your topics?

I have about 3 topics running around in my head.

I've just finished 1st year (I know). But we have to opt for the dissertation module in Sem 2 (Feb 2017) and we all know how fast uni and Sem 1 goes.

I feel like thinking about it now gives me motivation to succeed in my 2nd year modules if that makes sense?

And I don't want to be thinking too much about this when I have stuff to actually do when it comes to term time in a couple of months!

I had a vague area I was interested in and then my topic kind of emerged from the reading.

I would pick something you enjoy but also make sure you'll have enough access to resources/secondary literature/etc. to actually do it :h::yy:

Original post by AJCSShp
I actually got a first in my dissertation. So happy, I've never spent so much time on any piece of work before, so I am glad it went well. :biggrin:

:woo: Excellent news :biggrin: :bl: Well done :h:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I had a vague area I was interested in and then my topic kind of emerged from the reading.

I would pick something you enjoy but also make sure you'll have enough access to resources/secondary literature/etc. to actually do it :h::yy:

Thanks for this. However, I heard it was much more better to like come up with an original area which means less sources and stuff? I'd understand how it'd be better but I'd imagine it'd be very hard to be original and convincing at the same time.

What was your topic/degree on?
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Thanks for this. However, I heard it was much more better to like come up with an original area which means less sources and stuff? I'd understand how it'd be better but I'd imagine it'd be very hard to be original and convincing at the same time.

What was your topic/degree on?

You need to do background reading/lit review in order to discover areas which are original. :wink: You can be original and persuasive - being original doesn't mean discovering a whole new area of research, but perhaps considering a new angle within existing research.

I did history. I did my dissertation on the effect that antibiotics and curing syphilis had on the 1960s sexual revolution. At first I thought it would be well trodden ground, but after a point I couldn't actually find that much on it. About halfway through the year I started to panic over finding primary sources... in the end I read every back copy of the BMJ I could find, and that was what I based most of my analysis on. :rofl:

I just about managed to pull it off, but that's why I always say to people make sure your topic is actually doable at undergraduate level with the time and resources you have available. I think if you acknowledge the limitations of your research and show that can do well for you too.
Reply 185
I am currently struggling to write up my MSc Dissertation (forensic psychology) which is due in November (Started in 01/2016). It is a 12,000 word piece and I am finding it hard to find the motivation, the drive to do it. I think this may be partly because it is summer, so there are no lectures or other assignments for me. In Addition to this, I wrote a draft of my introduction and method (including descriptives and internal consistency) to be reviewed by my supervisor. Whilst I am glad I received some constructive feedback, it genuinely did depress me as it was so negative. Another reason could be that my MSc advanced research methods module made me realise how crap my undergraduate diss was, and how I was so lucky to get the mark I did. I just wanted to know if any one else has experienced this, and how they deal with it?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 186
I know exactly how you feel. I have just received my draft back from my supervisor and it was a bit off putting and left me depressed as well. I have just revised and edited and tried to make the points that they were not understanding even clearer. I want to get a good mark so I am basically correcting whatever they say in order to do well. It is frustrating, you just have to step away from it for a bit and refresh. Hope you do well! Mine is due September 12th, while I have finished the word count, I am a bit nervous on what they feel the quality of the paper is.
Reply 187
Hello, I just completed my msc dissertation at the university of essex for msc economics. does anyone know when msc dissertation results are typically released?
Hi there

I am indeed of help starting my dissertation. I'm a 3rd year graphic design student. I am really interested in nutrition, diet, fitness and wellness.
I am looking for strong topic and was thinking veganism, vegetarianism and the meat eater... I dont know if these are too broad of subjects but I think its a good idea as I have a good knowledge of nutrition and fitness..... I wanted to go into the effects it has on society and also incorporate animal cruelty along with how products are branded, advertised and marketed ?????

Please help I really need guidance to push me in the right direction or to pick a specific thing on these topics if what i wrote looks too broad ????

Thank you for your time
i am currently choosing my dissertation and i have no idea what to do it on. i do forensic science so it has to somehow relate to my course. Please help!
Hi

I'm doing my 3rd year extended lit. The topic is on transition metal doping of VO2 films. The hand in date is early April. Advice? Can I do it? My supervisor's ill. I need someone somewhere to check it over to see if i'm doing ok. Would be nice....

Thank you
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey everyone,
If you are struggling with your dissertation or essay, feel free to PM for help. Quality dissertation help and support including but not limited to proofreading
Reply 192
While I should be in the process of completing my dissertation. I have just started and wanted to make Sure my title is not to broad. Im doing a dissertation on the correlation between IPO and recession (finance). I will most likely have to do a regression analysis using past data (GDP and IPO proceeds). However, im not so sure how to narrow the dissertation topic down and im not so sure regarding the theoretical framework either. If anyone could please have a look at the draft below and let me know what you think?

Title: Do the recent IPO proceeds in the UK signal another recession?
Theoretical Framework 1 : The 5-6 main determinants of why companies go Public.
Theoretical framework 2:...

Hope someone can help out!
Reply 193
I have collected all the literature and have a plan for my dissertation, maybe anyone knows anyone who can help to synthesis all the information I have into full paper?

Latest