The Student Room Group

I played the (stock) markets today, and only lost £7.50, not too shabby?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I opened a 10k practice account on trading 212 and so far made 35.84.
If only I'd opened my own £100 account I could have earned a few pennies. lol

etoro is better than 212 https://www.etoro.com/deposit/full

i have lost £20 now on 212, and am cutting my losses there. With etoro however, there seems to be a slightly easier market comparison...
Reply 41
Original post by john2054
etoro is better than 212 https://www.etoro.com/deposit/full

i have lost £20 now on 212, and am cutting my losses there. With etoro however, there seems to be a slightly easier market comparison...

Ah thanks will check it out. Just changed my practice to £100 for realism and made £10 lol. I have no good idea on the intricacies of how any of this works, I've just bought things when they seem to be particularly low and then waited for any kind of slight profit. Seems like something that might be worth learning about properly.
That's 2 Sainsbury's meal deals!

Tragic.
Reply 43
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Ah thanks will check it out. Just changed my practice to £100 for realism and made £10 lol. I have no good idea on the intricacies of how any of this works, I've just bought things when they seem to be particularly low and then waited for any kind of slight profit. Seems like something that might be worth learning about properly.

On the other trading site i didn't have much luck. I lost £20 from the hundred i invested with them. Etoro seems to be better, same kind of thing though.
Reply 44
I think i'd be inclined to watch the history, and the candlesticks (daily highs/lows open and close) prices, in determining whether to trade. Also do you have to declare your forex profits on your self assessed tax returns each year??

Yup, turns out you have to put your profits from trading on your tax return. Look at the last question in the FAQ.
http://www.trading212.com/en/Frequently-asked-questions?cId=6
Reply 45
I think i'd be inclined to watch the history, and the candlesticks (daily highs/lows open and close) prices, in determining whether to trade. Also do you have to declare your forex profits on your self assessed tax returns each year??

Original post by John85
Yup, turns out you have to put your profits from trading on your tax return. Look at the last question in the FAQ.
http://www.trading212.com/en/Frequently-asked-questions?cId=6

You guys should just use a spread betting account+broker instead, where the profits are tax free if it's a side income. Spread betting works pretty much in the same way as CFD trading which is what trading212 offers.
If trading becomes your primary source of income, then only do you pay income tax on it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by nucdev
You guys should just use a spread betting account+broker instead, where the profits are tax free if it's a side income. Spread betting works pretty much in the same way as CFD trading which is what trading212 offers.
If trading becomes your primary source of income, then only do you pay income tax on it.

I'll stick to the good old fx and cfds trading, thanks. :smile:
Original post by The1AndOnly1
I made my money by trading forex, stocks and commodities hurt my capital really badly hence why I only trade forex now.

It's the best way to make your money, this is because unlike companies, Which are affected by factors like CEO resigning etc, majors and minors base their price solely on how many people are buying that major/minor and at what volume. A lot of people buy it, goes up. A lot of people sell it, goes down, thus allowing the more experienced to make a fair deal of money on major/minor prices as shown in that previous picture of my trades. Unless there are issues like Brexit which cause huge uncertainty leading to my unfortunate loss, but remember if Britain remained, I would have made upwards of £18,000.

However if you still want to trade stocks, maybe if you are looking to become an investment banker and want to increase job prospects, either do a "Buffet" where you learn where the company wants to be in five years, if common sense tells you it's likely to get there, and then buy the most likely, undervalued stock. However this involves extensive research into a company and needs long term investments. If your lazy, then just follow the moves Buffet makes... By reading this news. But be prepared to stay solid on the stock, even when it can fall rapidly, if it does BUY MORE!

Or have a look at the Fibonacci method, play this right and you definitely won't regret it.

BTW, been trading since I was 14 so I'd like to think I have some decent experience...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wouldn't say it particularly helps when recruiting for IB gigs, maybe trading/sales/research

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's nothing to be pleased about. Tell us when you actually make some money

I recommend reading anything by Benjamin Graham, especially the Intelligent Investor.
Original post by Hirsty97

I recommend reading anything by Benjamin Graham, especially the Intelligent Investor.

Intelligent investor would be teaching him about what people call "tenbaggers" this means long term investments over a span of say 5 years which is only worth it if you have good starting capital e.g. £10,000. Right now it's more make a quick buck for him...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The1AndOnly1
Intelligent investor would be teaching him about what people call "tenbaggers" this means long term investments over a span of say 5 years which is only worth it if you have good starting capital e.g. £10,000. Right now it's more make a quick buck for him...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which he didn't do
Reply 51
my virtual account with etoro is in profit by $500
I see people trading 10s of thousands of pounds on TSr and here I am getting excited making £68 on a volatile stock today with my massive £500 capital
Reply 53
Original post by Hirsty97

Graham teaches you how to invest, these guys are speculating (which I don't advise unless you are really lucky and talented)

Graham's philosophy would be to buy undervalued stocks and hold for the long term, which I what I would do as well. But in my case I also like a good dividend, so I can get that compound growth effect going ( as in buy more shares with the dividend money).

A few star buys on the FTSE 100 today.....Persimmon and Legal and General. 8 and 7.5% dividend respectively, Legal and General has been very consistent with the dividend and has been increasing each year.
Reply 54
Original post by Oilfreak1
I see people trading 10s of thousands of pounds on TSr and here I am getting excited making £68 on a volatile stock today with my massive £500 capital

I have £14,000 in the markets, but I don't really trade. I just buy undervalued stocks and hold, reinvest dividends and watch the compound growth take place.
Reply 55
Isn't worth any praise when you only invested £7.50 :wink:
Original post by fg45344
I have £14,000 in the markets, but I don't really trade. I just buy undervalued stocks and hold, reinvest dividends and watch the compound growth take place.

Yeah i'm not trading for profit tbh, just to practice using financial tools/mindsets i've learnt and read before I begin my masters.

Are you a professional? Or a student with rich parents?For me as a student it's taking every drop of will power I have to not spend my £568 lol (original £200 investment).
Reply 57

That is a very good return on £500. The problem is the damn broker fees, it costs me £11.95 to buy and £11.95 to sell, plus the stamp duty (£5.95) on top for buys above £1000 I think.

So that's why I have to deal in the thousands, so these charges are negligible for me.

I say a minimum investment needs to be £1500 to £2000 per security to offset these charges.
Reply 58
Yeah i'm not trading for profit tbh, just to practice using financial tools/mindsets i've learnt and read before I begin my masters.

Are you a professional? Or a student with rich parents?For me as a student it's taking every drop of will power I have to not spend my £568 lol (original £200 investment).

Well I do have a part time job, which gives me some form of income to throw into the markets.

I'm not a professional but I do have a MSc in Finance and Econometrics and am currently doing a PhD in Economics, which does in a way give me the knowledge that amateurs may not have.

That £14,000 is mostly my own money, my dad has way way more in the markets. Like I said, I don't trade, I don't speculate, I'm purely in it for steady income in the form of dividends and some good long term growth if it comes.
Original post by fg45344
Well I do have a part time job, which gives me some form of income to throw into the markets.

I'm not a professional but I do have a MSc in Finance and Econometrics and am currently doing a PhD in Economics, which does in a way give me the knowledge that amateurs may not have.

That £14,000 is mostly my own money, my dad has way way more in the markets. Like I said, I don't trade, I don't speculate, I'm purely in it for steady income in the form of dividends and some good long term growth if it comes.

Yeah i'm in it for the opposite, dont mind if i lose every penny just wanna practice trading stocks, and master the art of being an investor rather than a speculator.

When I have a steady stream of income i'll definitely be looking to funds for steady, regular income.

Quick Reply

Latest