The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tax lad
If security clearance was an issue, you would've been rejected long ago.

That's what I thought myself. It was quite a few years ago anyhow, and wasn't really that bad....just clipped a policeman on a night out. Lol. :-D
Reply 601
Original post by sw1981
That's what I thought myself. It was quite a few years ago anyhow, and wasn't really that bad....just clipped a policeman on a night out. Lol. :-D

I hope he was a stripper! 😳
Original post by Tax lad
I hope he was a stripper! 😳

Unfortunately not! Lol. Ended up fined £150 for hitting him, and another £100 for refusing to tell him my name....the joys of going out partying, huh? Lol
Reply 603
Original post by sw1981
Unfortunately not! Lol. Ended up fined £150 for hitting him, and another £100 for refusing to tell him my name....the joys of going out partying, huh? Lol

You'll have to tell them at your office xmas do!
Original post by sw1981

So, have they actually said they're doing pre-employment checks on you? I worked in Security for Home Office for a while and we would've taken a very dim view of Assault on Police; reason being that the Police are major stakeholders and respect for law and authority was key. HMRC might take a different approach but that was Home Office stance.
Original post by Tax lad
You'll have to tell them at your office xmas do!

Emmm.....what office Xmas do? Hahahaha! :-P
Original post by Tax lad
Fully understand your frustration. Don't be shy to drop resourcing a polite email. You deserve more than what you've heard but these things either take ages or are done at warp speed, believe me! Your keen interest to progress won't go unnoticed.

How will is go noticed then? I'm not sure what you mean.*
Original post by Doll Parts
So, have they actually said they're doing pre-employment checks on you? I worked in Security for Home Office for a while and we would've taken a very dim view of Assault on Police; reason being that the Police are major stakeholders and respect for law and authority was key. HMRC might take a different approach but that was Home Office stance.

I have no idea what they've done on me! Lol. All I know is my interview score and online test score...sift awaiting along with selection exercises 2 and 3. And still waiting on reply that I was meant to receive at the end of May. It's all fun and games! :-)
Reply 608
Original post by Mega0448
How will is go noticed then? I'm not sure what you mean.*

I meant that the amount of times the resourcing team is contacted, they have a responsibility to respond to queries. It is poor if they have not replied to a number of emails from an individual.
Tax lad, just wondering about the training, do you know of anyone who hasn't actually passed the training or is it a case of they will make sure you do?
Original post by Ollie1816
Tax lad, just wondering about the training, do you know of anyone who hasn't actually passed the training or is it a case of they will make sure you do?

They can't make you pass. If you don't pass the exams then you're out of a job. I know of a couple who double failed and left.*

At the end of the day if you work hard enough the exams are passable. *
Is there much out of office hours work or overtime?
Original post by Ollie1816
Is there much out of office hours work or overtime?

No you get flexi time.*
No you get flexi time.*

Do you know if that will still be the same when we all move to the regional centres. I'm on PT operations and have two 8pm finishes. I've seen E&C advertise there recent jobs as 5 day out a 7 week (the latest HO campaign being the one I saw). I hope it's not the case as I'm looking to move to E&C eventually.
The advertisement from January stated all of the possible working hours from 5/7, variable hours, standard flexi, annualised hours etc. It all depends on the business you're placed into. I asked at interview at Leeds and they said it would be variable hours because you could have days where you've done a full day but then may need to do an out of hours visit. There would be long long days like that but you take a short day later to balance it out.
Original post by rebecca_:)
Do you know if that will still be the same when we all move to the regional centres. I'm on PT operations and have two 8pm finishes. I've seen E&C advertise there recent jobs as 5 day out a 7 week (the latest HO campaign being the one I saw). I hope it's not the case as I'm looking to move to E&C eventually.

I don't know, but I think flexi time will be the next thing that's attacked, so I wouldn't be surprised if eventually new people don't get it. Already lost privilege days.*
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't know, but I think flexi time will be the next thing that's attacked, so I wouldn't be surprised if eventually new people don't get it. Already lost privilege days.*

Grrr I hope not. On PT we're allowed to build up a maximum of 1.5 hours flexi a day- not much really and you can only use flexi to get out of 8pm finish 30% of the time. Better than nothing but in comparison to the passport office which was full flexi max! I think I still get my privilege days. Ah well we shall see what it brings :smile:
Original post by rebecca_:)
Grrr I hope not. On PT we're allowed to build up a maximum of 1.5 hours flexi a day- not much really and you can only use flexi to get out of 8pm finish 30% of the time. Better than nothing but in comparison to the passport office which was full flexi max! I think I still get my privilege days. Ah well we shall see what it brings :smile:

Yeah they are stricter on flex in PT Ops as they need people on the phones. In my current role I'm on full flexi but I don't think all the new people in the future will be getting the same terms.

What I meant by privilege days is that when I moved within HMRC to a different role I lost some privilege days when I signed my new contract.*
Yeah they are stricter on flex in PT Ops as they need people on the phones. In my current role I'm on full flexi but I don't think all the new people in the future will be getting the same terms.

What I meant by privilege days is that when I moved within HMRC to a different role I lost some privilege days when I signed my new contract.*

Oh right apologies I thought you meant that one privilege day for the queen lizzies birthday. Yeah they probably won't looking at the way things are going, that's why I want to move over sooner rather than later really.*
Original post by sw1981
Lol. I was told I would receive information about further steps later in the month....that was May. Emailed at the beginning of June, and was told at present there were no further updates. Emailed again last week, received basically the same reply yesterday again. Haven't withdrawn my application yet, but regardless of what may happen, I will never put myself through anything like this again, as long as I may be lucky enough to live! :-)

Don't be too disheartened - there's a few of us on here in the same boat as you. Some have been lucky enough to have been selected off the reserve list seemingly out of the blue. Some are still waiting.

I applied first time round and scored 6,6,7 at interview (Liverpool) but only made the reserve list. There were others on here who scored lower (in other locations) and were successful, but it didn't stop me applying again second time round. I didn't even get an interview then haha. So I applied the third time and I'm waiting to see if it's third time lucky.

I received the email in May too but I can't relocate. That, plus the fact there were only 5 positions for Liverpool in the original campaign and I'm not too confident of being selected from the reserve list but hey, it's still not a 'no'.

I've presumed there won't be anymore movement on the reserve list until this latest campaign is over...

Latest

Trending

Trending