The Student Room Group

Picking A level / btec courses in sixth form & college

So basically, I was just wondering since I've just finished doing my GCSEs and waiting for results day to come, my sixth form have already started to ask us to pick the courses we'd like to study for years 12 - 13.

For picking the courses it is set up in Blocks. Regarding about the subjects I'd like to study which are: Btec Science Level 3, Spanish A level & Product Design A level. Sadly both Btec Science and Spanish are in the same block - PD is okay which I can do. The problem is that I am unable to do Spanish unless I give up Btec Science (which I don't really want to, since I aspire to get into medicine and would need this course to do so).

Currently right now, I am very unsure on what to do. I have ask for a meeting with the director of my sixth form and since my school is in partnership with another I was wondering if it would be possible to do Spanish there instead. Another idea I had in mind was if I would be allowed to do 2 courses at my sixth form then Spanish either at a college or another sixth form...

Please give me some advice on what to do. I'm really stressed out about it and really want to continue all 3 subjects as those are the ones I know I'll do good in and excel well in...
I'm not 100% sure, but can you get into medicine with BTEC? Considering that students with straight As at a level get rejected it seems unlikely
Reply 2
I feel it'd be incredibly unlikely you'd get into medicine with BTEC. Which Universities that you know of accept BTEC Science for medicine (because I have never heard of any)?
Chemistry and another science and usually maths are what are looked for - all at A Level. I highly, highly doubt BTEC Science will get you onto the career path you want.

Spoiler

Are there options to do science a levels instead of BTEC science in a different slot? As many have said, I'm not sure that universities will accept BTEC science for medicine. Chemistry a-level and one other science is normally required so most opt for biology, chemistry and maths. Maybe you should look at uni entry requirements for medicine.
who takes btecs for medicine lol
Original post by puffy2295
For picking the courses it is set up in Blocks. Regarding about the subjects I'd like to study which are: Btec Science Level 3, Spanish A level & Product Design A level. Sadly both Btec Science and Spanish are in the same block - PD is okay which I can do. The problem is that I am unable to do Spanish unless I give up Btec Science (which I don't really want to, since I aspire to get into medicine and would need this course to do so).

As said above, are you sure you would be able to get into medicine with BTEC Science? You need to check out the specific courses you're thinking of applying to and see what entry requirements they want; taking only a BTEC may limit you as I've heard it's a very competitive choice... Product Design and Spanish may be subjects that you like, and I'm all for people taking things they will enjoy, but if you want to go down a specific pathway then you need to make sure the subject choices you make are going to be relevant when you do apply for those courses. (Disclaimer: I'm not a medicine person, this is all going off of things I've heard from others i.e. people talking about how hard it is to get into medicine, even with science and maths A-levels; friends looking into medicine, etc)

Original post by puffy2295
Currently right now, I am very unsure on what to do. I have ask for a meeting with the director of my sixth form and since my school is in partnership with another I was wondering if it would be possible to do Spanish there instead. Another idea I had in mind was if I would be allowed to do 2 courses at my sixth form then Spanish either at a college or another sixth form...
Please give me some advice on what to do. I'm really stressed out about it and really want to continue all 3 subjects as those are the ones I know I'll do good in and excel well in...

Taking different subjects at different sixth forms/colleges is called taking 'cluster' courses, or at least that's what we call it in my sixth form. There was someone in the year above me for a subject I took who clustered between our sixth form for that subject and the local college for all his other subjects. It depends on your sixth form as to whether they allow it/agree to it, cluster arrangements can be tricky depending on the timings of lessons in each place - plus you would probably have to spend time travelling between the two and this could impact your studies and relations with your classmates as you would be constantly moving around. Only you and your sixth form can work out whether this would be the right decision, but there's a reason it's not done that often... These may be the subjects that you really want to do, but would it be worth all the hassle instead of just taking a different subject?

...One other option you could mention/talk to them about is taking it as a 'distance'/after school course - this would probably be even more unlikely and I don't even know if many sixth forms would even consider it, the only reason I'm suggesting it is because it was an option I was offered myself. (Basically I wanted to do Art as my 4th AS level, but like you it was in the wrong block - my tutor was head of art and we discussed doing it as a 'distance' course where I did work from home and checked in with her to stay on track and go into the art rooms in my frees to use equipment; eventually we talked about me taking Textiles as it was very similar and already partly ran after school - the only reason I didn't take it was due to other commitments during those after school lessons; in hindsight I don't think I would have had the discipline required to do either option, so now I'm very glad I didn't!).

Either way, I hope it all turns out well and you and your sixth form can work out what will be best for you - good luck next year! :smile:
You can't do BTEC science for medicine.... not one medical school accepts BTECs so you're going to have to take A-Level Chemistry (every medical school asks for this) and Biology too (most ask for this)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by nomophobia
You can't do BTEC science for medicine.... not one medical school accepts BTECs so you're going to have to take A-Level Chemistry (every medical school asks for this) and Biology too (most ask for this)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Plymouth, Keele, Nottingham and UEA do

Quick Reply

Latest