The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TrojanH
Hi,

I received my UCAS 16 digit status code. It says that I should be able to open a student bank account, with the BARCLAYS/HSBC/etc logos underneath.

Have any of you tried this or do the banks still want a proper confirmation of unconditional offer?

The two banks i was with for a student account wanted proof of unconditional offer but that could have changed since then i suppose.
Reply 2
The status code makes it easier to check your status with UCAS. You still need a confirmed place to apply, so a firmed unconditional or wait until after results day
How do you find your UCAS status code? I've been looking for mine to open a student account and I'm having no luck
Reply 4
Original post by shannonkigh
How do you find your UCAS status code? I've been looking for mine to open a student account and I'm having no luck

They sent it through email, you'll need to check there. Maybe it went into the spam folder
What exactly are the UCAS status codes for? Is it just for banking? I received a 4 digit one and a 16 digit one by email today, more to add to the list of numbers/ codes/ logins/ ID :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by francescacwls
What exactly are the UCAS status codes for? Is it just for banking? I received a 4 digit one and a 16 digit one by email today, more to add to the list of numbers/ codes/ logins/ ID :wink:

It's just an easier way to open a student bank account with specific banks. Usually you need to bring in a letter confirming your place at any university but with the number they can just check it online and see you're a student
Original post by Devify
It's just an easier way to open a student bank account with specific banks. Usually you need to bring in a letter confirming your place at any university but with the number they can just check it online and see you're a student

Ahhhh ok :smile: I'm still waiting on my Uni ID code to continue my inscription/ pick modules/ all that jazz, so I got hopeful when I saw 16 digits. Ah well, how likely was it really that they were going to send them out early?... Yeah :wink: I'll put those somewhere safe then, thanks!
I can't find my ucas status code at all. I've looked everywhere through my emails - even my spam folder and ucas track itself - but to no avail! Is there any other way of retrieving this code? I received an email from RBS to upgrade my current account, but, nothing about the ucas status code yet. Is there a set time after RBS replies that the ucas status code comes through? Please help! Thanks in advance! :smile:
Reply 9
You don't need the status code if you have the AS12N print out
Original post by TrojanH
You don't need the status code if you have the AS12N print out

Thanks, I've got the letter. :smile:
Has any EU student managed to arrange a bank account before arriving in UK?
Most of the banks are a complete pain, saying I need to be 3 years resident in UK before I can apply for a student account.

I know we are in Brexit phase but still pretty rediculous as I can't pay anything until I have a bank account and can't have a bank account until way after I need to be transfering and spending the money.
Reply 12
Original post by crocface
Has any EU student managed to arrange a bank account before arriving in UK?
Most of the banks are a complete pain, saying I need to be 3 years resident in UK before I can apply for a student account.

I know we are in Brexit phase but still pretty rediculous as I can't pay anything until I have a bank account and can't have a bank account until way after I need to be transfering and spending the money.

Just use an international bank account from your home country???
Reply 13
but what if i am permanently resident in UK but an EU national? I dont have anymore the house in EU because now i live here, actually my parents moved to England too. I talked to Barclays bank and they sayed that i cant open even an international student bank account for that reason, the normal account is the only one available to me but its not fair coz i cant get planned overdraft like other students do, why?????
Reply 14
Original post by Acid97
but what if i am permanently resident in UK but an EU national? I dont have anymore the house in EU because now i live here, actually my parents moved to England too. I talked to Barclays bank and they sayed that i cant open even an international student bank account for that reason, the normal account is the only one available to me but its not fair coz i cant get planned overdraft like other students do, why?????

Because you dont have UK credit history
Reply 15
Original post by Acid97

Get over it. Overdraft is available with normal accounts, it's just not fee free as most student ones are. Some students don't even get student accounts or get them but don't use overdraft. It's not like they're getting the money free, it's still a type of loan that you have to pay back.
I havent had mine through and was wondering if you knew anywhere on my UCAS sight i can ask for them to send it back through.
Reply 17
Original post by Pogson1995
I havent had mine through and was wondering if you knew anywhere on my UCAS sight i can ask for them to send it back through.

You don't actually need it. By now you should have your acceptance letter so you can just use that. The code is simply for selected banks to help you set up an account before you're fully accepted as they can check your application online.
I can tell find my UCAS 16 digit code ! Help ! I have no ideas where it is
Reply 19
Original post by Nazrin289
I can tell find my UCAS 16 digit code ! Help ! I have no ideas where it is

Look for an email. Just open your emails and search for everything from UCAS. Including the bin folder

Latest

Trending

Trending