The Student Room Group

Clearing Help please.

Hi,

I have firmed my conditional offer to study 'Computer Science and Mathematics' at Queen Mary for 2016 entry. However, I have changed my mine and decided I want to study Physics instead. So, is it possible for me to decline the offer even if achieve the conditional grades and I am accepted, or am I committed to go there? Then can I go through clearing instead and apply for Physics at different universities?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by Glavien
Hi,

I have firmed my conditional offer to study 'Computer Science and Mathematics' at Queen Mary for 2016 entry. However, I have changed my mine and decided I want to study Physics instead. So, is it possible for me to decline the offer even if achieve the conditional grades and I am accepted, or am I committed to go there? Then can I go through clearing instead and apply for Physics at different universities?

Thanks in advance!

First off, you can ask QMUL if they would let you change to Physics now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
First off, you can ask QMUL if they would let you change to Physics now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, but I found another physics course at Kings College that I would prefer.
Reply 3
Original post by Glavien
Thanks, but I found another physics course at Kings College that I would prefer.

And it's in Clearing? You've checked with them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
And it's in Clearing? You've checked with them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was on the UCAS 2016 clearing search tool.
Reply 5
Original post by Glavien
It was on the UCAS 2016 clearing search tool.

Doesn't mean it's really there...
Reply 6
Original post by jneill
Doesn't mean it's really there...

So why is there only a few courses in the clearing search tool? Then what's the point of the search tool?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Glavien
So why is there only a few courses in the clearing search tool? Then what's the point of the search tool?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's seems to be somewhat "indicative" at this stage. I'd suggest you contact KCL to check. And note they can't make you a formal offer until results day.

Also, do you expect to meet the typical entry requirements? There's no guarantee they will be lowered for Clearing.
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
It's seems to be somewhat "indicative" at this stage. I'd suggest you contact KCL to check. And note they can't make you a formal offer until results day.

Also, do you expect to meet the typical entry requirements? There's no guarantee they will be lowered for Clearing.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've met the grade requirements. So, if I've met the grade requirements can I decline my current firm choice on results day and accept their offer if they make me one? Or am I committed to go to my firm if I met the firms conditional grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Glavien
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've met the grade requirements. So, if I've met the grade requirements can I decline my current firm choice on results day and accept their offer if they make me one? Or am I committed to go to my firm if I met the firms conditional grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are committed to go to your firm, unless you use adjustment or request to be put into clearing (which you can do on results day, but this could take hours so if you dont want to go there get that request in now)
Reply 10
Original post by Glavien

You don't have to go to your Firm on Results Day. (Or at any time after that date, you just need to be careful you don't sign any accomodation contracts that financially commit you.)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15483-changing-your-mind-about-your-firm-or-insurance-choice
Original post by Glavien
Hi,

Thanks in advance!

I've done exactly the same thing but with different courses,

all you need to do is contact the university directly, tell them you no longer want the place and they'll put you straight through to clearing. Might take a few days to get a clearing number though- mine did.
For info:
If you're looking to be placed into clearing BEFORE you have your results then you will need the agreement from both your firm and insurance.

They'll notify UCAS and the change should show on Track IF you get things sorted ASAP and UCAS are notified before 14 July.

If you miss the 14 July cut off then you might get agreement in principle from your firm and insurance to be placed into clearing but they'll be unable to make it happen officially on Track until results morning.

Basically- if you know you don't want to go to your firm or insurance choice then time is running out to make changes in advance of results day. Get on the phone first thing tomorrow.
Reply 13
Original post by PQ
For info:
If you're looking to be placed into clearing BEFORE you have your results then you will need the agreement from both your firm and insurance.

They'll notify UCAS and the change should show on Track IF you get things sorted ASAP and UCAS are notified before 14 July.

If you miss the 14 July cut off then you might get agreement in principle from your firm and insurance to be placed into clearing but they'll be unable to make it happen officially on Track until results morning.

Basically- if you know you don't want to go to your firm or insurance choice then time is running out to make changes in advance of results day. Get on the phone first thing tomorrow.

Thank you, but if I am unsure I want to go into clearing until I know my grades on results day and then on results day, I get really good grades and get into my firm choice can I then call my firm to release me so I can apply for a better course through clearing? How long will this process take if it's possible? Will I be able to start ringing up clearing unis straight away or will I have to wait until I get a clearing number?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Glavien
Thank you, but if I am unsure I want to go into clearing until I know my grades on results day and then on results day, I get really good grades and get into my firm choice can I then call my firm to release me so I can apply for a better course through clearing? How long will this process take if it's possible? Will I be able to start ringing up clearing unis straight away or will I have to wait until I get a clearing number?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you meet and exceed your offer then you can use adjustment to look elsewhere without losing your firm (or waiting for their agreement/cooperation).

If you don't exceed your firm offer then you will have to ask them to place you into clearing. On average this takes 48 hours from contacting them by phone on results day. If they're particularly uncooperative or incompetent then it could take up to a fortnight.

Clearing is designed to match unplaced applicants with vacancies. If you try to use it to play the field then the system is designed to put you at a disadvantage.

If you're unsure then putting all of this decision making into a condensed period of high stress isn't likely to lead to a good decision.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by PQ
If you meet and exceed your offer then you can use adjustment to look elsewhere without losing your firm (or waiting for their agreement/cooperation).

If you don't exceed your firm offer then you will have to ask them to place you into clearing. On average this takes 48 hours from contacting them by phone on results day. If they're particularly uncooperative or incompetent then it could take up to a fortnight.

Clearing is designed to match unplaced applicants with vacancies. If you try to use it to play the field then the system is designed to put you at a disadvantage.

If you're unsure then putting all of this decision making into a condensed period of high stress isn't likely to lead to a good decision.

Can apply for a different course which is not the one you originally applied for and have a firm for in adjustment? Also, how do you know the courses that available in adjustment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Glavien
Can apply for a different course which is not the one you originally applied for and have a firm for in adjustment? Also, how do you know the courses that available in adjustment?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, and you don't. A list isn't produced, unlike Clearing. You have to phone up and ask.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending