The Student Room Group

Removing a drop out year from 5 years ago from CV?

Hi

I dropped out of a uni course 5 years ago and then worked for 2 years before completing the same course again and have just graduated with a 2.2.

Obtaining the 2.2 after all of this time is a bit crappy and to have the former year on there as well just makes it look terrible.

Can I remove it?
Yeah just say you been working with someone for a year during that year and make it someone who can be called to confirm.
Don't go back that far and just put your graduation date, not the course start date. It's very simple: don't lie, only omit.
Reply 3
Original post by scrotgrot
Don't go back that far and just put your graduation date, not the course start date. It's very simple: don't lie, only omit.

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't lie, but would I not just put the start date as when I started the course again?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lanthanum
Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't lie, but would I not just put the start date as when I started the course again?

If they checked records they would see that you started the course then stopped and restarted again.

Unless of course you literally dropped out, reapplied from the beginning and genuinely started again.
Reply 5
Original post by scrotgrot
If they checked records they would see that you started the course then stopped and restarted again.

Unless of course you literally dropped out, reapplied from the beginning and genuinely started again.

Yeah that's what I did. Completely withdrew with no intention to return and then years later decided to give it a second go, reapplied and started again.

I'll probably drop the uni an email to double check.
Hi

I dropped out of a uni course 5 years ago and then worked for 2 years before completing the same course again and have just graduated with a 2.2.

Obtaining the 2.2 after all of this time is a bit crappy and to have the former year on there as well just makes it look terrible.

Can I remove it?

From your CV? Yes. You just have to weigh up how any gap might be viewed, and if an employer asked questions that revealed the false start, how they might interpret it not being on the CV. Frankly, most employers would never dig enough around your history to ask that, unless they usually recruited people who went to university at standard age, which presumably, if you missed out this year, it would look like you didn't.

What you have to bear in mind when omitting information like this is how would an employer interpret the omission if they found out, and how would you handle questions at interview?
Reply 7
Original post by threeportdrift
From your CV? Yes. You just have to weigh up how any gap might be viewed, and if an employer asked questions that revealed the false start, how they might interpret it not being on the CV. Frankly, most employers would never dig enough around your history to ask that, unless they usually recruited people who went to university at standard age, which presumably, if you missed out this year, it would look like you didn't.

What you have to bear in mind when omitting information like this is how would an employer interpret the omission if they found out, and how would you handle questions at interview?

Thanks for you reply. Thing is, I got an interview last year for an internship after deciding to remove it from my CV, but was nervous during the interview that they would notice the gap and ask (they didn't), so later on I added it again. At the same time though, I'm pretty sure if it had been on there, I wouldn't have gotten the interview to start with.

If I removed it and got an interview, I wouldn't have a problem explaining what happened (wished I'd taken a gap year), it's just if it then puts them off. On the other hand, if I have it on, it's probably going to lower my chances of getting an interview in the first place.

I like to think that whether I leave it on or off, it'll affect me equally because it will either get binned for the gap or the extra year. However, if I got an interview with a gap on there, then I could just assume they noticed when screening and don't mind?
(edited 7 years ago)

You are seriously over thinking this! Not every company is obsessed with gap spotting, in fact only the security services and education are. Just leave it out and be prepared to have a constructive reason as to why, in the unlikely event you are asked at interview.
Reply 9
Original post by threeportdrift
You are seriously over thinking this! Not every company is obsessed with gap spotting, in fact only the security services and education are. Just leave it out and be prepared to have a constructive reason as to why, in the unlikely event you are asked at interview.

Haha I know. Thanks again for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending