The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

does not agreeing with homosexuality make me homophobic

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tanyapotter
Homosexuality is not a behaviour - it's an innate characteristic, present at birth.
Race is not a behaviour - it's an innate characteristic, present at birth.
Thus the two can be compared. As mentioned previously anyway, not every gay person has gay sex, just like (wow, newsflash!) not every straight person has sex. So this "behaviour" that you're referring to is not something every single gay person engages in. You asked: what one act do black people engage in that white people do not? The answer is that there is none. Now I'm telling you, there is no one act that every gay person engages in. Because NOT EVERY GAY PERSON HAS GAY SEX. So your argument is non-existent.

And no, I'm not gay, but you don't have to be to have and use a brain :smile: The way you're addressing the LGBT community is frankly hostile and off-putting, though.

Anyway, aren't you the person who gets really easily offended by people saying psychology isn't a useful degree? Who are you to tell me that I'm getting easily offended???? L O L

When did I ever say that homosexuality itself is a behaviour? I said that homosexual people engage in a particular sexual behaviour, there's a clear difference. Every gay person is attracted to the same sex, most gay people will exercise their attraction physically (as do most people) and if I recall correctly, you initially said that said that its homophobic to disagree with someone who engages in gay sexual behaviour and now you're saying that not every gay person has sex? Either way, you'll call it homophobic :s-smilie:

What have I said that is off putting? That gay people engage in sexual behaviour? Straight people also engage in sexual behaviour, are you also offended by that?

Saying that psychology as a degree is useless and being offended by the word 'behaviour' are two very different things LOL
Original post by jake4198
Not agreeing with homosexuality does not make you homophobic, as much as the left might want you to believe that. Discriminating against or holding unfounded views about gay people, however, is homophobic. If being against homosexuality makes you homophobic then being against Islam makes you Islamaphobic.

Difference is you can choose to be Muslim, you don't choose to be gay.

you absolute melt.
Original post by Grand High Witch
Then the correct term is "homosexual acts", not "homosexuality" as is this thread's title. And no, I don't think the difference is semantic.

Also, why would anyone "disagree" with two consenting adults showing their affection for each other through sex in the privacy of their bedroom, the act of which isn't harming anyone? Such a disagreement is irrational.

Okay, homosexual acts then.

Yes you're right, the act isn't harming anyone but neither is disagreeing with it.
Reply 163
[QUOTE=Milzime;66309796]what

the dude literally asked for him to express his opinion.

He sees people as equal, sure, but let him believe what he likes. He hasn't abused anyone, he is tolerant, he just doesn't think it's natural probably, which is his thoughts, and he's not hurting anyone, so let it be fam
Seems pretty unlikely that a gay person would ask someone 'what they think about it'. And what on earth does 'not believing in it' mean in practice, beyond who he himself chooses to sleep with. Anyway fine for the OP to be heterosexual, I just gave my view that this type of ignorant and unnecessary comment is to some degree homophobic. And the reason it's sensitive is that negative 'not natural' attitudes have been linked to huge intolerance and harm. Thankfully times are changing.
Reply 164
Original post by Tabstercat
Difference is you can choose to be Muslim, you don't choose to be gay.

you absolute melt.

I believe it's a choice as you are not born gay, no genes are inherited

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 165
Original post by Zarek
Seems pretty unlikely that a gay person would ask someone 'what they think about it'. And what on earth does 'not believing in it' mean in practice, beyond who he himself chooses to sleep with. Anyway fine for the OP to be heterosexual, I just gave my view that this type of ignorant and unnecessary comment is to some degree homophobic. And the reason it's sensitive is that negative 'not natural' attitudes have been linked to huge intolerance and harm. Thankfully times are changing.

The man asked for my opinion on homosexuality because he's family had bad views on it, they disowned him in some way he wanted to see if I agreed with them and what I feel about the whole sexual thing. I told him I don't agree with it but if my child was gay I wouldn't disown them. My comment was not unnecessary or ignorant as he asked for my opinion. He wasn't offended. I don't get why people love getting offended for others

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by King_ajk

Posted from TSR Mobile

So if it's a choice, why would people in countries where being gay is punishable by DEATH rationally choose to be gay? What reasoning would they have? And if being gay is a choice, why would anyone choose to be gay? What reasoning could there possibly be? They want to face discrimination? Be looked down on by wider society? My life would be a million times easier if I could just 'choose' to be straight. Your post just screams ignorance.
Original post by TheTechN1304
So if it's a choice, why would people in countries where being gay is punishable by DEATH rationally choose to be gay? What reasoning would they have? And if being gay is a choice, why would anyone choose to be gay? What reasoning could there possibly be? They want to face discrimination? Be looked down on by wider society? My life would be a million times easier if I could just 'choose' to be straight. Your post just screams ignorance.

I think he means psychologically in a sense the person has no control over. It's like if I saw someone die in a car accident as a child I would grow up to be scared of riding in cars. This fear isn't exactly a choice but it's definately not inherited.
Original post by ByEeek
Yeah - I am wrestling with that one. But if I openly disagreed with heterosexuality, what are your thoughts on that?

I think I'd be impressed if you came up with a heterophobic viewpoint :lol:
Original post by King_ajk

Posted from TSR Mobile

1) You're an idiot and this is just demonstrably false through basic reasoning
2) Science is against you - doesn't matter if it's genetics or personal experiences while developing which shape somebody's sexuality - neither are a choice!

Why would someone choose to be gay when there's so many bigots in the world? Did you choose to be straight?

Melt
Reply 170
[QUOTE=King_ajk;66316094]The man asked for my opinion on homosexuality because he's family had bad views on it, they disowned him in some way he wanted to see if I agreed with them and what I feel about the whole sexual thing. I told him I don't agree with it but if my child was gay I wouldn't disown them. My comment was not unnecessary or ignorant as he asked for my opinion. He wasn't offended. I don't get why people love getting offended for others

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's no so much the conversation with the man I am commenting on, although it might have been nice to give some unequivocal support given the predjustice of his own family. The thing I find unnecessary and ignorant is this type of public post and discussion. And a view that it's enlightened to 'disagree with being gay' but I wouldn't not disown or harm them. Just imagine all that gay people have to contend with applied to your sexuality.
Original post by Alexion
I think I'd be impressed if you came up with a heterophobic viewpoint :lol:

But presumably, you wouldn't be surprised if I came up with a homophobic viewpoint? What is the difference?
Original post by cherryred90s
When did I ever say that homosexuality itself is a behaviour? I said that homosexual people engage in a particular sexual behaviour, there's a clear difference. Every gay person is attracted to the same sex, most gay people will exercise their attraction physically (as do most people) and if I recall correctly, you initially said that said that its homophobic to disagree with someone who engages in gay sexual behaviour and now you're saying that not every gay person has sex? Either way, you'll call it homophobic :s-smilie:

What have I said that is off putting? That gay people engage in sexual behaviour? Straight people also engage in sexual behaviour, are you also offended by that?

Saying that psychology as a degree is useless and being offended by the word 'behaviour' are two very different things LOL

So you admit that most people will engage in gay sex but not all. So there goes your whole ****ing argument: there is not one single behaviour that all gay people will engage in. Therefore you can't say that there is, and you can compare sexuality to race. What is so bloody difficult to understand about that?

And I'm just saying, you can talk about getting easily offended. All I'm doing is telling you the facts. You can carry on being a homophobe, but don't expect people to like you for it.
Reply 173
No it doesn't, hating gays because they are gay is homophobic.
So you admit that most people will engage in gay sex but not all. So there goes your whole ****ing argument: there is not one single behaviour that all gay people will engage in. Therefore you can't say that there is, and you can compare sexuality to race. What is so bloody difficult to understand about that?

And I'm just saying, you can talk about getting easily offended. All I'm doing is telling you the facts. You can carry on being a homophobe, but don't expect people to like you for it.

oh for goodness sake.

I'm a homophobe because I understand why some people disagree with homosexuality? I guess I'm also a homophobe because I won't date a gay person lol.
oh for goodness sake.

I'm a homophobe because I understand why some people disagree with homosexuality? I guess I'm also a homophobe because I won't date a gay person lol.

You're a homophobe for claiming that disagreeing with homosexuality is understandable and acceptable. It's not.

And would you not date a bisexual person either? Because there's no reason not to.. unless you're....homophobic?!?!
You're a homophobe for claiming that disagreeing with homosexuality is understandable and acceptable. It's not.

And would you not date a bisexual person either? Because there's no reason not to.. unless you're....homophobic?!?!

Ah, so you just like to throw that word around.

No, I probably wouldn't date a bisexual person either. I guess I'm also racist because I'm more attracted to black guys? I suppose I'm an islamophobe because I don't agree with some of their teachings? I suppose I'm also ageist because I wouldn't date someone over a certain age?
Ah, so you just like to throw that word around.

No, I probably wouldn't date a bisexual person either. I guess I'm also racist because I'm more attracted to black guys? I suppose I'm an islamophobe because I don't agree with some of their teachings? I suppose I'm also ageist because I wouldn't date someone over a certain age?

Why wouldn't you date a bisexual person?
Why wouldn't you date a bisexual person?

Why have you ignored everything else I've said?

I can't say for sure, if I like them then of course I will pursue it but I have yet to meet a bi person that I have been attracted to.
Well a phobia is an irrational fear. Do you fear homosexual people? Then no, you're not homophobic I guess...

Latest

Trending

Trending