The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

does not agreeing with homosexuality make me homophobic

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RedHawk123
Well a phobia is an irrational fear. Do you fear homosexual people? Then no, you're not homophobic I guess...

Being homophobic has nothing to do with having a fear of homosexual people, lol
Original post by cherryred90s
Why have you ignored everything else I've said?

I can't say for sure, if I like them then of course I will pursue it but I have yet to meet a bi person that I have been attracted to.

Everything else you've said is stupid. If you weren't homophobic, you would not once say stuff like "you must be from the LGBT community because you're so offended by the word behaviour", or claim that "disagreeing with homosexuality doesn't make you homophobic".

I don't get it. If you're so adamant about disagreeing with "homosexual behaviour", then why not just admit that you're homophobic? You can't disagree with it and still be a tolerant, open-minded individual. Pick one.

And that's good that you'd consider dating a bi person. You seemed to rule it out previously, based entirely on the fact that they're bi.
Original post by tanyapotter
Everything else you've said is stupid. If you weren't homophobic, you would not once say stuff like "you must be from the LGBT community because you're so offended by the word behaviour", or claim that "disagreeing with homosexuality doesn't make you homophobic".

I don't get it. If you're so adamant about disagreeing with "homosexual behaviour", then why not just admit that you're homophobic? You can't disagree with it and still be a tolerant, open-minded individual. Pick one.

And that's good that you'd consider dating a bi person. You seemed to rule it out previously, based entirely on the fact that they're bi.

How is what I've said stupid? That's literally how you sound. Why is disagreeing with homosexuality homophobic but disagreeing with Islam isn't islamophobic?

'Homophobia is the hatred or fear of homosexuals - that is, lesbians and gay men - sometimes leading to acts of violence and expressions of hostility. Homophobia is not confined to any one segment of society, and can be found in people from all walks of life.'

According to this definition, I am far from being a homophobe. I would not treat anybody any differently because for being gay, nor would I subject them to any hate or prejudice. Simply having an opinion isn't harming anyone.
If you disagree with something that your friend has done, does it mean that you now hate them and can't be their friend anymore?
How is what I've said stupid? That's literally how you sound. Why is disagreeing with homosexuality homophobic but disagreeing with Islam isn't islamophobic?

'Homophobia is the hatred or fear of homosexuals - that is, lesbians and gay men - sometimes leading to acts of violence and expressions of hostility. Homophobia is not confined to any one segment of society, and can be found in people from all walks of life.'

According to this definition, I am far from being a homophobe. I would not treat anybody any differently because for being gay, nor would I subject them to any hate or prejudice. Simply having an opinion isn't harming anyone.
If you disagree with something that your friend has done, does it mean that you now hate them and can't be their friend anymore?

You have no right to disagree with "homosexual behaviour". That's not an opinion, it's intolerace. What are you disagreeing with, exactly? Their homosexual urges that they don't decide on themselves? The fact that they're engaging in a harmless, natural act that doesn't concern you whatsoever? What is there to disagree on?
Original post by Zarek
Yes, because it's absolutely none of your business to express a negative view about something which does not affect you nor indeed anyone else. Add to this the history of appalling abuse and persecution gay people have face over ages and you might appreciate why posts of this type are a remnant of former legitimised intolerant times.

Lol are you ****ing serious, I hope not because that's total tripe

Original post by King_ajk
I don't agree with homosexuality but am I homophobic? today i was talking to this gay male on the train and we were talking about how he came out to his family and how they reacted. he asked me my view and i said i personally dont agree with homosexuality because i believe men and women were made for each other to repopulate the human race. but i would never belittle anyone because of their sexuality because that is being a *****y person, i would not treat someone differently because they are gay i see everyone equal. he said fair enough and then i asked if he thought i was homophobic or bigoted he said no as everyone is entitled to their opinions and im not mistreating homosexuals. but this lady overheard and started shouting about how i was homophobic everyone on the carriage heard and looked, made me feel like **** for having an opinion. on my way home i am homophobic ,i see homophobic people as bully and i dont think i am one . i wanna know if others feel the same way as the lady. btw im an atheist,not religious before anyone says im a sheep for following old books

@OP, no you're not homophobic if you don't bias your actions (positively or negatively) towards LGBTs. For example you could be interviewing for a job and choose an LGBT candidate who was less qualified but because of their sexuality you felt they need a 'helping hand' or whatever. That would still be prejudice, even if it ends up benefiting the LGBT individual.

Having a poor opinion of homosexuality as an activity but not of the individuals is hard, but doable. I guess it's like seeing gambling as a negative pastime but you couldn't care less if people you knew gambled or not
(edited 7 years ago)
No, you're free to have your own opinions. I'm sure there's plenty of things people would disagree with me on. Doesn't bother me.
Being homophobic has nothing to do with having a fear of homosexual people, lol

Well going by how it's spelt, that should be the definition. What does it actually mean then?
You have no right to disagree with "homosexual behaviour". That's not an opinion, it's intolerace. What are you disagreeing with, exactly? Their homosexual urges that they don't decide on themselves? The fact that they're engaging in a harmless, natural act that doesn't concern you whatsoever? What is there to disagree on?

I have a right to disagree on whatever the hell I want, who are you to tell me that I can't have an opinion?
Are you religious?
I have a right to disagree on whatever the hell I want, who are you to tell me that I can't have an opinion?
Are you religious?

No, I'm an atheist. And you have no right to disagree with homosexual "behaviour". Whether you do it or not is up to you, but it's not your place to be intolerant about someone's sex life.

Why don't you explain what exactly it is that you disagree with? The fact that homosexual people sometimes act on their natural urges in a safe way? What is it?

What a ridiculous comment lol. There are plenty of people who may disagree with it simply on their own moral grounds. So what? I think incest is immoral so if 2 consenting relatives were in a relationship that made them happy it wouldn't bother me but at the same time i'd still think it was gross. Just because someone doesn't agree with homosexuality doesn't mean they'll mistreat every homosexual they see. I'm sure there's plenty of ideologies/opinions you disagree with but wouldn't class yourself as racist etc. Stop forcing your views on others
(edited 7 years ago)
No, I'm an atheist. And you have no right to disagree with homosexual "behaviour". Whether you do it or not is up to you, but it's not your place to be intolerant about someone's sex life.

Why don't you explain what exactly it is that you disagree with? The fact that homosexual people sometimes act on their natural urges in a safe way? What is it?

Right so since you're an atheist, I take it that you would call yourself an islamophobe?

I have a right to disagree on anything I want, when will you get that? You have a right to disagree that there is a God, you don't see me forcing you to change your beliefs and become religious do you?
Original post by Sara_t
What a ridiculous comment lol. There are plenty of people who may disagree with it simply on their own moral grounds. So what? I think incest is immoral so if 2 consenting relatives were in a relationship that made them happy it wouldn't bother me but at the same time i'd still think it was gross. Just because someone doesn't agree with homosexuality doesn't mean they'll mistreat every homosexual they see. I'm sure there's plenty of ideologies/opinions you disagree with but wouldn't class yourself as racist etc. Stop forcing your views on others

I have been trying to explain this to her for ages, she will never get it
Original post by Sara_t

What moral grounds? Why are you so obsessed with heterosexual sex that you will be disgusted by and disagree with anything else, for no reason? It's not like you're being forced to have gay sex. It's not your place to judge other people's sexual activities. Idgaf if it's against your religion or teachings: it's homophobic. And how are you comparing homosexuality to incest?
Right so since you're an atheist, I take it that you would call yourself an islamophobe?

I have a right to disagree on anything I want, when will you get that? You have a right to disagree that there is a God, you don't see me forcing you to change your beliefs and become religious do you?

Religion is something you choose. It's not a biological characteristic like homosexuality is. You can't compare the two.. wtf is wrong with you? Disagreeing with something biological, genetic, innate is NOT OKAY. And you can carry on doing it, but you're a homophobe if you do so. Nice try making a "point", though. You failed. Every single one of your analogies is flawed.
Religion is something you choose. It's not a biological characteristic like homosexuality is. You can't compare the two.. wtf is wrong with you? Disagreeing with something biological, genetic, innate is NOT OKAY. And you can carry on doing it, but you're a homophobe if you do so. Nice try making a "point", though. You failed. Every single one of your analogies is flawed.

It's not flawed. A homosexual act is a choice as is choosing to follow religion. If I disagree with a homosexual act then according you, I'm homophobic. So if you disagree with religion teachings, you're an islamophobe :smile:

Lol what is wrong with me?
It's not flawed. A homosexual act is a choice as is choosing to follow religion. If I disagree with a homosexual act then according you, I'm homophobic. So if you disagree with religion teachings, you're an islamophobe :smile:

Lol what is wrong with me?

Yes, you're a homophobe. You finally admitted it. You will disagree with a homosexual person acting on their urges for no reason, and then expect to be called tolerant and fair.

And I've never said that I disagree with religious teachings. I think Islam is beautiful, and I think you're using it to push your ******** agenda because you know it's an easy target.
Yes, you're a homophobe. You finally admitted it. You will disagree with a homosexual person acting on their urges for no reason, and then expect to be called tolerant and fair.

And I've never said that I disagree with religious teachings. I think Islam is beautiful, and I think you're using it to push your ******** agenda because you know it's an easy target.

If you think that Islam is beautiful, why aren't you a Muslim?
If you think that Islam is beautiful, why aren't you a Muslim?

Because I don't know enough about the religion to be Muslim. What about you? Do you not know enough about gay sex, and is that why you're intolerant? Shall I link you to a video? Goddamn. People like you tire me.
Because I don't know enough about the religion to be Muslim. What about you? Do you not know enough about gay sex, and is that why you're intolerant? Shall I link you to a video? Goddamn. People like you tire me.

so if someone educated you on Islam, you'd convert?
Also, can you define homophobia? This should be fun.
so if someone educated you on Islam, you'd convert?
Also, can you define homophobia? This should be fun.

I could convert if I wanted to :smile: That's the beauty of choice. Don't suppose you know how to make the distinction between natural characteristics and choice, though.

homophobia:
an unreasoning fear and/or antipathy toward homosexuals and/or homosexuality.

The key words that apply to you here are "unreasoning" (you still haven't given me a reason why you disagree with "homosexual acts" when it doesn't and will never concern you) and "antipathy" which means distaste, aversion, etc. to homosexual acts - an innate part of many (but not all) homosexual people's lives.

Do you think sex was only made for men and women? If the answer to this question is yes, and you STILL don't admit that you're homophobic, then I can't help you.

Latest

Trending

Trending