The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Think we do ok. We have a rate of gun homicides (excluding suicide) 30-50 times lower than the US.
Aslong as the general public can never have guns I am happy.

Once guns are in circulations you are screwed

America will always have a gun issue and look at the state of them, every day there's people killed by gun crime
I don't think it needs to change. I don't know of any real need or urgency to change it.
Reply 4
Original post by Kieran1996

America will always have a gun issue and look at the state of them, every day there's people killed by gun crime

The general public can own guns albeit only certain types?
I think the laws are suitable at the moment - I certainly wouldn't relax them, as America's situation is terrible. Those who need guns, like farmers, can get them, while the police seem suitably armed, so I don't think there's any immediate need to make the laws harsher, but I would consider it if I was Prime Minister/in charge of the relevant government department.
Original post by Napp
The general public can own guns albeit only certain types?

Are you saying that is what you want or that is what current law is?

My point was that I would be happy if the change was no one could have guns (apart from the army / police)
I'm quite content with them as they are. We've had one mass shooting (Derrick Bird) since the post-Dunblane gun controls came in and gun violence is rare, unlike across the pond.
I would legalise handguns, centerfire semi-automatics and low calibre rimfire automatics(no more than .22 LR). I would also raise the cap on shotgun magazines from 3 to 6 and cap capacity of all long guns to 20, pistols to 10. I value the ability to defend your home and to have fun shooting low calibre firearms at targets.

However, I would also make large calibres (.50 etc.) illegal, since you don't need them for hunting anything.
Reply 9
Firearms can stay largely illegal tyvm.
No need - or significant political demand - for any change whatsoever.

It ain't broke, don't fix it.
Only thing that needs changing with UK Gun law is to allow countryside dwellers like myself to use FAC air rifle without a Fire Arm Certificate.The reason?

Foxes! If you have chickens Foxes are your worst nightmare. They will completely destroy every bird in your pen. I have one of the most expensive 12ft / LB Weihranch spring loaded air rifles and my Brother has best Gas-Ram version.Yet .....Shoot a Fox and there is a good chance it won't penetrate. Also its pretty hard to conceal a FAC air-rifle because the Gas chamber is so huge. Its like carrying a RPG.
Reply 12
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Only thing that needs changing with UK Gun law is to allow countryside dwellers like myself to use FAC air rifle without a Fire Arm Certificate.The reason?

Foxes! If you have chickens Foxes are your worst nightmare. They will completely destroy every bird in your pen. I have one of the most expensive 12ft / LB Weihranch spring loaded air rifles and my Brother has best Gas-Ram version.Yet .....Shoot a Fox and there is a good chance it won't penetrate. Also its pretty hard to conceal a FAC air-rifle because the Gas chamber is so huge. Its like carrying a RPG.

In fairness those Rifles can easily out perform most small calibre rifles.. Rifles are banned due to their range, pistols for being concealable. .
Out of interest what do you shoot; pellets or darts?
Canadian style laws would suit us fine, I think the UK is too strict to the point our Olympic shooting team has to hop over to France to get training in. Now I'm not arguing for US style laws as they are on the other side of the extreme to us but we should sit somewhere in the middle.

As long as the background checks are in place I see no reason why handguns can't be legal again, say for example you've been a respectable member of a club with a bolt-rifle or shotgun for shooting clays I think you should be eligible to apply for a semi-auto license after a few years.
Reply 14
Original post by remiremi
Canadian style laws would suit us fine, I think the UK is too strict to the point our Olympic shooting team has to hop over to France to get training in. Now I'm not arguing for US style laws as they are on the other side of the extreme to us but we should sit somewhere in the middle.

As long as the background checks are in place I see no reason why handguns can't be legal again, say for example you've been a respectable member of a club with a bolt-rifle or shotgun for shooting clays I think you should be eligible to apply for a semi-auto license after a few years.

Indeed! One nut bar committs an atrocity and thousands of perfectly law aiding athletes/hunters etc. get it in the kneck... I'll grant it almost certainly has dropped gun crime here but the fact you cant even use a sporting pistol at a range in the UK is ridiculous.

With regards to semi's you can buy and keep them on a bog standard SC albeit the tube is limited to 2 shells, to have a full size magazine youd need the FAC.

Shot guns? Rifles?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by remiremi

exactly I mean I have a Remington shotgun for hunting as well as a colt M1911 handgun (i have licences for both before anyone asks) (one for my weekend exploits and the other for security purposes)
I also have an AR-15 on my bedroom wall (this one's been deactivated then filled with aluminium)

My point was that I would be happy if the change was no one could have guns (apart from the army / police)

You'd be happy if thousands of perfectly law abiding people had legal guns taken off them and had their sport destroyed for no good reason? And what about things like shooting and pest control, which is important for things like agriculture, forestry and conservation?

You can own a gun in the UK is you have the appropriate license, and our gun crime rates are low and almost never involve legally held guns. There is no need to tighten UK gun laws any further.
Reply 18
Original post by jamesthehustler
exactly I mean I have a Remington shotgun for hunting as well as a colt M1911 handgun (i have licences for both before anyone asks) (one for my weekend exploits and the other for security purposes)
I also have an AR-15 on my bedroom wall (this one's been deactivated then filled with aluminium)

Erm...
Perhaps you should read up on the laws before lying haha
Reply 19
I'd probably loosen up controls of handguns a bit, but aside from that I think they work quite well as they are. Unfortunately mainstream views tend to get crowded out a bit in these discussions between thoughtless, raving townies ("OMG?!?! ARN'T GUNS ILLEGAL??!") and barmy libertarian survivalists ("Yes, I think I should be able to hold a scud missile pointed at my neighbour's house - that's my right as an individual!").

Original post by EuanF
Erm...
Perhaps you should read up on the laws before lying haha

I'm not sure why you'd think that's necessarily illegal. Shotgun certificates are easy enough to get, it's quite legal to hold deactivated firearms and there are still several ways to gain a licence for a handgun. While I'd think it was unusual, nothing that he has said is necessary untrue.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending