The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow Accommodation - Official Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Hi @Itchy feet,

I would recommend Maclay Residences, our postgraduate residence which offers ensuite accommodation. You can chose between a standard or a premium room (a bit bigger and with a double bed). Most flats are shared between 3 to 5 students with a common sitting area and kitchen. Have a look at the video :smile:

[video="youtube;sClBCtrwPDQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sClBCtrwPDQ[/video]

It is located a short walk to the University, around 15 minutes. You will walk through the beautiful Kelvingrove Park and pass the magnificent Art Gallery on your way to Uni everyday! :wink: It is located in the trendy neighbourhood of Finnieston, recently named 'the hippest place to live in Britain'! :biggrin: The area is full of great shops, cafes and restaurants to keep you busy.Check out our Know Your Area Guide for more info.

'Shared' means it is a twin room so two students share a room; Student Apartments and Cairncross House are undergraduate residences only.

Maclay Residences is exclusively for postgraduate students studying at Glasgow University so you will be sharing your flat with students doing a similar course to you and it is guaranteed there will be more international students like yourself.

Have a look at our Postgraduate Accommodation Fees for 2016/2017 and our other Postgraduate Residences on offer.

Best wishes
Sandra
Accommodation Services
(edited 7 years ago)
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Hi there,

I put undergraduate student apartments down as my 3rd choice. I know there are both single and twin rooms but on the application I was only given the option of single (which I would much prefer). Does this mean I wouldn't get a twin room if I was offered student apartments?
Reply 62
Hello, I have confirmed my place at Glasgow Uni and at Murano Street Flats, how would I set up a direct debit to pay for my rent for the Accomodation? Envoyé de mon iPhone
Original post by hannahsmit
Hi there,

I put undergraduate student apartments down as my 3rd choice. I know there are both single and twin rooms but on the application I was only given the option of single (which I would much prefer). Does this mean I wouldn't get a twin room if I was offered student apartments?

Hi @hannahsmit,

You will not be allocated to a twin room unless you have applied for it :smile:

Regards
Sandra
Accommodation Services
Original post by Jj977
Hello, I have confirmed my place at Glasgow Uni and at Murano Street Flats, how would I set up a direct debit to pay for my rent for the Accomodation? Envoyé de mon iPhone

Hi @Jj977,

You can set up a direct debit in September, once you have checked in at Murano. For this, you will need to have a UK bank account. Direct debit can be set up online on MyCampus. Payment may be split in 8 instalments (October to May).

Looking forward to welcoming you at Murano! :biggrin:

Regards
Sandra
Accommodation Services
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello,

from what I've heard most international students were put into the large flats of the Murano street student village. I was just wondering how you decide who's going to share a flat. Does it depend on the day one accepts his accommodation offer? Or are all international students put in one (ore more :biggrin:) flat as they usually arrive a little bit earlier?
I'm a bit worried that I'll only be living with people from foreign countries because it is really important to me to be able to socialize with natives too in order to improve my language skills etc. Don't get me wrong I love meeting foreign students (I'm one of them) it's just that I'm going to study abroad in order to meet locals and get to know their habits, lifestyle and similar things :smile:
Reply 66
Hello, I have a question about the 450£ payment when confirming my booking. Are these 450£ " in advance" as in "pay upfront for your first month"? Thank you,have a nice day.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 67
Hi!
I have made my application for the accomodation and I would like to know more about my chances of getting one of my top two options (Kelvinhaugh Gate and Queen Mary Flats) before I think about finding an alternative accomodation. I recieved my offer for undergraduate medicine relatively late, mid-May, and I did my application by the end of the month. I will be 17 years old when I start the course. I was wondering whether these factors will affect my chances of getting an offer for these two locations, positively or negatively.

Thanks a lot!
Original post by LisaMari
Hello,

from what I've heard most international students were put into the large flats of the Murano street student village. I was just wondering how you decide who's going to share a flat. Does it depend on the day one accepts his accommodation offer? Or are all international students put in one (ore more :biggrin:) flat as they usually arrive a little bit earlier?
I'm a bit worried that I'll only be living with people from foreign countries because it is really important to me to be able to socialize with natives too in order to improve my language skills etc. Don't get me wrong I love meeting foreign students (I'm one of them) it's just that I'm going to study abroad in order to meet locals and get to know their habits, lifestyle and similar things :smile:

Hi @LisaMari,

We place undergraduate students together, and postgraduate students with other postgraduate students. Most exchange and Erasmus international students are placed in the same residence as they start a bit earlier and they are later year undergraduates (therefore we do not put them in the same flats as 1st year undergrads).

You'll be in a residence where there will be students from many nationalities, including UK! I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities to mingle while you are at Uni and see why Glasgow is known as the friendly city :u:

Best wishes
Sandra
Accommodation Services
Original post by sentoki
Hello, I have a question about the 450£ payment when confirming my booking. Are these 450£ " in advance" as in "pay upfront for your first month"? Thank you,have a nice day.

Hi @sentoki :smile:

The £450 is a prepayment of your accommodation fees and it counts towards the payment of the full fees.

Sandra
Accommodation Services
Original post by HusBee
Hi!
I have made my application for the accomodation and I would like to know more about my chances of getting one of my top two options (Kelvinhaugh Gate and Queen Mary Flats) before I think about finding an alternative accomodation. I recieved my offer for undergraduate medicine relatively late, mid-May, and I did my application by the end of the month. I will be 17 years old when I start the course. I was wondering whether these factors will affect my chances of getting an offer for these two locations, positively or negatively.

Thanks a lot!

Hi @HusBee :smile:

We allocate rooms on a first come first served basis. Applications opened back in February and our ensuite accommodation at Kelvinhaugh Gate and Queen Margaret Residence is a very popular option.

While I don't know what your individual position on the list of applicants is, I believe that your late application may affect your chances of getting your top choices.

If your offer is unconditional, you'll soon find out which residence we can offer you.Remember that as you have applied before the deadline of 22 August an offer of accommodation is guaranteed :biggrin:

Best wishes
Sandra
Accommodation Services
Original post by University of Glasgow Accommodation
Hi @LisaMari,

We place undergraduate students together, and postgraduate students with other postgraduate students. Most exchange and Erasmus international students are placed in the same residence as they start a bit earlier and they are later year undergraduates (therefore we do not put them in the same flats as 1st year undergrads).

You'll be in a residence where there will be students from many nationalities, including UK! I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities to mingle while you are at Uni and see why Glasgow is known as the friendly city :u:

Best wishes
Sandra
Accommodation Services

Thank you for your answer! I'm going to be a 1st year undergrad too so I'll hopefully share a flat with first year students despite of my nationality? :smile:
Reply 72
Hello!

I am not pleased with the offer for accommodation I received and I am considering to transfer into other university accommodation in September. What should I do to start the transfer? Is there a fee for the transfer and how much is it?

Thank you in advance!
Original post by LisaMari
Thank you for your answer! I'm going to be a 1st year undergrad too so I'll hopefully share a flat with first year students despite of my nationality? :smile:

@LisaMari

Being a 1st year student you'll probably be with fellow newbies :wink:

Sandra
Accommodation Services
Original post by wiwi
Hello!

I am not pleased with the offer for accommodation I received and I am considering to transfer into other university accommodation in September. What should I do to start the transfer? Is there a fee for the transfer and how much is it?

Thank you in advance!

Hi @wiwi :smile:

Sorry to hear you couldn't get one of your top choices for accommodation.

You may apply for a room transfer once you are in accommodation. Applications should open on Monday 12th September and these are considered on the order they are received. These can be submitted online from our Online Accommodation Site. If you are offered a transfer and wish to move to a new room a £25 fee applies.

Hope this answers your question :wink:

Best wishes
Sandra
Accommodation Services
Reply 75
Hello again,

It says on the site that dorms for the newcomers are open from 9th of September. Is it possible to come at 10th or 11th? Or they wont be open during the weekend? Also, are there any arrival hours? Or it wont matter if I come at 9p.m or such. (need this info because of flights :frown:)
Thank you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sentoki
Hello again,

It says on the site that dorms for the newcomers are open from 9th of September. Is it possible to come at 10th or 11th? Or they wont be open during the weekend? Also, are there any arrival hours? Or it wont matter if I come at 9p.m or such. (need this info because of flights :frown:)
Thank you.

Hi @sentoki,

Your accommodation will be available from 4pm on 9th of September but you can arrive later. Just drop as a line at [email protected] with your arrival details so we know when to expect you! :smile:

Which residence are you staying at? Most have security staff working during the night and they can issue you the keys.

Sandra
Accommodation Services
Hello!

I just had a quick question about flatmates. So I've been placed in Maclay for the coming year and I was wondering if we get to find out who we're sharing the room with before move-in. It would be nice to try and connect beforehand!

Thanks!
Original post by TheFrancinator
Hello!

I just had a quick question about flatmates. So I've been placed in Maclay for the coming year and I was wondering if we get to find out who we're sharing the room with before move-in. It would be nice to try and connect beforehand!

Thanks!

Hi @TheFrancinator ,

We keep your new flatmates' identity a secret until your move in date - Love the surprise factor! :eek:

You may want to start a thread and see if you can find other future Maclay residents around TSR :wink:

In the meantime, check out all the things you can do around Maclay with your new friends: Know Your Area Maclay :beer:

Looking forward to having you in Glasgow! :smile:

Sandra
Accommodation Services
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 79
Hello!

I applied after my conditional offer had already been accepted by the Uni of Glasgow. That was a week ago now and I still haven't gotten any accommodation offers so does this mean that I'll have to wait until August like the rest of the students with conditional offers even though I've already got my place on the course assured?

Thanks in advance.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending