The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

does not agreeing with homosexuality make me homophobic

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tanyapotter
I could convert if I wanted to :smile: That's the beauty of choice. Don't suppose you know how to make the distinction between natural characteristics and choice, though

You didn't answer the question. You said that the only reason that you are an athiest is because you don't know enough about religion. So if someone were to educate you about religion then surely you would most certainly convert to the beautiful religion that is Islam? But wait one second. The Qu'ran isn't accepting of homosexuality..but you are. So wouldn't this mean that you disagree with at least one of its teachings? Well, if you disagree then you're automatically an islamophobe right?
It's really bizarre that you believe that we should exercise our right of choice when you are attacking others for their own personal choice that isn't harming anyone.
homophobia:
an unreasoning fear and/or antipathy toward homosexuals and/or homosexuality.

Well, I'm not fearful of homosexuals nor do I exert an extreme dislike/hatred toward them. It appears that simply disagreeing doesn't quite fit in with this definition of yours. You haven't given me a reason as to why you're perpetrating me for having an opinion that doesn't affect you or anyone else.
Original post by cherryred90s
You didn't answer the question. You said that the only reason that you are an athiest is because you don't know enough about religion. So if someone were to educate you about religion then surely you would most certainly convert to the beautiful religion that is Islam? But wait one second. The Qu'ran isn't accepting of homosexuality..but you are. So wouldn't this mean that you disagree with at least one of its teachings? Well, if you disagree then you're automatically an islamophobe right?
It's really bizarre that you believe that we should exercise our right of choice when you are attacking others for their own personal choice that isn't harming anyone.

Well, I'm not fearful of homosexuals nor do I exert an extreme dislike/hatred toward them. It appears that simply disagreeing doesn't quite fit in with this definition of yours. You haven't given me a reason as to why you're perpetrating me for having an opinion that doesn't affect you or anyone else.

I'm not a Muslim because I don't know enough about Islam. But I do know enough to know that you can be a Muslim and not follow all teachings of the Q'uran - you know, by choice.

But you seem to think that it's perfectly okay to believe that only heterosexual sex is acceptable. You disagree with homosexual sex, yes? So you DO think that sex was only made to be between men and women. So you ARE homophobic. If you weren't homophobic, you would be perfectly happy with two consenting gay adults taking part in homosexual acts, because you would realise that it is their right to do so and it isn't any better or worse than straight sex - regardless of "tradition".

And btw, I think you might wanna look up the definition of "perpetrate", because I don't think you know what it means. Therefore you are in no position to criticise my definition of things lmao
I'm not a Muslim because I don't know enough about Islam. But I do know enough to know that you can be a Muslim and not follow all teachings of the Q'uran - you know, by choice.

So you admit that you can decide to disagree with some of the teachings of Islam and not be islamophobic yet choosing to disagree with homosexuality makes you homophobic? Yeah that makes sense, whatever is convenient for you.

But you seem to think that it's perfectly okay to believe that only heterosexual sex is acceptable. You disagree with homosexual sex, yes? So you DO think that sex was only made to be between men and women.

I didn't say any of this lol.

So you ARE homophobic. If you weren't homophobic, you would be perfectly happy with two consenting gay adults taking part in homosexual acts, because you would realise that it is their right to do so and it isn't any better or worse than straight sex - regardless of "tradition".

It is my right to have an opinion. Just like homosexual acts don't affect anyone, my opinion isn't affecting anyone.
Bored of you now.
And btw, I think you might wanna look up the definition of "perpetrate", because I don't think you know what it means. Therefore you are in no position to criticise my definition of things lmao

It's funny how you're telling me to look up definitions when you dont know what homophobic means
So you admit that you can decide to disagree with some of the teachings of Islam and not be islamophobic yet choosing to disagree with homosexuality makes you homophobic? Yeah that makes sense, whatever is convenient for you.

I didn't say any of this lol.

It is my right to have an opinion. Just like homosexual acts don't affect anyone, my opinion isn't affecting anyone.
Bored of you now.

Uh... yeah??? Choosing to disagree with homosexuality DOES make you homophobic..what kind of question is that? You're choosing to disagree with something someone cannot control. Religion is under everyone's control.

And you have implied it. You disagree with the "homosexual behaviour" that homosexual people engage in, whatever that means. Does this mean gay sex? Does this mean some gay men behaving flamboyantly? You haven't specified because you know you will come across as homophobic. You know.. because you are.

And fine, you carry on thinking that this is an "opinion" and not just intolerance. I can't make you suddenly be accepting of sex that isn't heterosexual, and you'll never admit your homophobia, but I'm glad you'll never actually perpetrate crimes against gay people for it (see, I used that word correctly this time). That is small respite for your ignorance.
Not agreeing with homosexuality does not make one homophobic you have the right to like or not like something. But acting in a hateful way towards people of such preferrence or saying wrong things or hateful things about them that is homophobic. It's wrong, especially since they are a minority and should not really be made to feel ostracised.
Original post by Antediluvian
No, it makes you rational.

edgy

But you seem to think that it's perfectly okay to believe that only heterosexual sex is acceptable. You disagree with homosexual sex, yes? So you DO think that sex was only made to be between men and women. So you ARE homophobic. If you weren't homophobic, you would be perfectly happy with two consenting gay adults taking part in homosexual acts, because you would realise that it is their right to do so and it isn't any better or worse than straight sex - regardless of "tradition".

does this also mean millions of christians and muslims are homophobic as well? because in the holy books sex is only meant for men and women?
homophobia is not a real phobia!, therefore just because you disagree with homosexuality, it doesn't make you homophobic only if you act on it negatively

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8ZqfLxRFCI
Uh... yeah??? Choosing to disagree with homosexuality DOES make you homophobic..what kind of question is that? You're choosing to disagree with something someone cannot control. Religion is under everyone's control.

And you have implied it. You disagree with the "homosexual behaviour" that homosexual people engage in, whatever that means. Does this mean gay sex? Does this mean some gay men behaving flamboyantly? You haven't specified because you know you will come across as homophobic. You know.. because you are.

And fine, you carry on thinking that this is an "opinion" and not just intolerance. I can't make you suddenly be accepting of sex that isn't heterosexual, and you'll never admit your homophobia, but I'm glad you'll never actually perpetrate crimes against gay people for it (see, I used that word correctly this time). That is small respite for your ignorance.

I am finished with you :smile:
Original post by theBranicAc
homophobia is not a real phobia!, therefore just because you disagree with homosexuality, it doesn't make you homophobic only if you act on it negatively

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8ZqfLxRFCI

Exactly this.
Original post by The Joker ~
Not agreeing with homosexuality does not make one homophobic you have the right to like or not like something. But acting in a hateful way towards people of such preferrence or saying wrong things or hateful things about them that is homophobic. It's wrong, especially since they are a minority and should not really be made to feel ostracised.

I was told that I don't have the right to disagree:smile:
I have to be forced against my will to agree with something despite the fact that disagreeing affects NOBODY. Lmao
I was told that I don't have the right to disagree:smile:
I have to be forced against my will to agree with something despite the fact that disagreeing affects NOBODY. Lmao

do what you want but you can't both disagree with homosexual acts and still act like you're not homophobic lol
do what you want but you can't both disagree with homosexual acts and still act like you're not homophobic lol

Right but you can disagree with the Qur'an but not be islamophobic? ok sweetie
Original post by Zarek
Yes, because it's absolutely none of your business to express a negative view about something which does not affect you nor indeed anyone else. Add to this the history of appalling abuse and persecution gay people have face over ages and you might appreciate why posts of this type are a remnant of former legitimised intolerant times.

It's also none of your business if someone chooses to disagree with what you do.
Right but you can disagree with the Qur'an but not be islamophobic? ok sweetie

yeah pretty much :smile: good thing we're on the same page
yeah pretty much :smile: good thing we're on the same page

:laugh: ridiculous
:laugh: ridiculous

what's ridiculous is you comparing a biological, primitive urge to a conscious choice lmaooo is homosexuality a teaching just like islam is? is there a book of homosexuality, whose specific pages you disagree with? no. it's a sexual orientation and your petty ass has a problem with it.
Original post by Grand High Witch
Just answer the question - could you yourself right now choose to become sexually aroused to a handsome man in front of you, i.e. get an erection, get the butterflies in the stomach feeling, etc.

No, but that's like saying you can't choose to of not murdered someone after you've already murdered them, therefore murder is not a choice since you can't change your choice. That's very invalid logic you have there.
Reply 219
[QUOTE=Architecture-er;66318300]Lol are you ****ing serious, I hope not because that's total tripe

@OP, no you're not homophobic if you don't bias your actions (positively or negatively) towards LGBTs. For example you could be interviewing for a job and choose an LGBT candidate who was less qualified but because of their sexuality you felt they need a 'helping hand' or whatever. That would still be prejudice, even if it ends up benefiting the LGBT individual.

Having a poor opinion of homosexuality as an activity but not of the individuals is hard, but doable. I guess it's like seeing gambling as a negative pastime but you couldn't care less if people you knew gambled or not
Absolutely serious. Arguments would be better than insults. But as to your gambling analogy I agree that you should mind your own business about what people choose to do if it has no relevance to anyone else. And I am not sure how homosexuality could be a negative pastime accept in the eyes of opinionated people.

Latest

Trending

Trending