The Student Room Group

Why is gender equality still not a reality in 2016?

Scroll to see replies

It's just the way it is. As others have said go to a non western nation and you'll see true inequality. Maybe in 200 years well reach there but as of now and the foreseeable future the following won't change in the big socio-political crafts that influence the most people in the world.

Sports: Huge difference in men and women sports. Sports is dominated by highly paid men and watched globally. The biggest sporting icons are men; Ronaldo, Federer, Kobe Bryant, Tom Brady, etc. The are depicted in society as modern gods and revered by millions of children and this wont change because males are better at sport.

Movies: Another massive industry, dominated by males. As men get older they still gain more prominent leading actor roles than women. Younger good looking women are given priority over older, this isnt true for men. Again the biggest movie stars are mostly men in current Hollywood (white and male to be specific over the whole Oscars so white saga); Robert D Junior, Mark Wallburg, Christian Bale, Matt Damon, Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Benedict Cumberbatch, etc. This could change but I think the demand for male actors is more inclined to their acting ability rather than looks when compared to women so I dont see this changing.

Politics: A bit more even but again the most powerful leaders in the world are men; Putin, Obama, Cameron, Hollande, etc. Obviously Merkel is a exception and a new British PM but you get the point. This aspect of gender inequality can definitely change.

Business: As said in this thread, still dominated by men mostly because women can't focus solely on career if they want to start a family. Dont see this changing.*

Music: Probably the most even of all, so gender equality in this area is fine for now.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 81
There is no need for feminism in the western world, the genders are already equal
Reply 82
Original post by Manchester_123
As long as you feminazis continue to defend Islam as a tolerant and peaceful religion there won't be equality girl.

As I assume you made this rash comment without reading other comments I will quote myself from earlier. A feminazi, as defined by the journalist who coined the term in the 80's, is defined as a woman who's main aim in life is to have/cause as many abortions as possible. OK So , again quoting myself, you are generalising in the same way racists blame the entire Muslim community for so called 'ISIS'. You are assuming all feminists are feminazis. They're not. Some women are just sick of being considered 'inferior' by people like you.
Original post by BobSausage
As I assume you made this rash comment without reading other comments I will quote myself from earlier. A feminazi, as defined by the journalist who coined the term in the 80's, is defined as a woman who's main aim in life is to have/cause as many abortions as possible. OK So , again quoting myself, you are generalising in the same way racists blame the entire Muslim community for so called 'ISIS'. You are assuming all feminists are feminazis. They're not. Some women are just sick of being considered 'inferior' by people like you.

Quote me where I said women are inferior before you spout your ****
Its not natural.

Similar to why women. Look for dominant less feminine men as partners.

If women had incredible ideas theyd succeed in their own rigbt without campaigns etc. Did Paul Dirac need to do a campaivn to be taken seriously? Sure you can bring uo some modern hacky female scientist or mathematician who has gone through education and is well qualified but the men blow them out of the water fair and square. Sophie Germains work was pretty trivial and she is noted merely because she is female.

Similar in entertainment and literature where talented male performees vastly outweight the females.

Women make up 51% of the population ffs. No excuses ladies
Better yourselves or go home.
Original post by ali-g12
Because in your mind, there is probably a secret board room somewhere where a bunch of white middle-aged men are sitting round a table going:

"Mwahahaha! How can we increase our grip on society further? I know, lets do some 'gender conditioning' in schools to keep women out of high-paid jobs... Guess what, I haven't even checked my privellidge!! mwhahahaha"

Of course not but it is true that women are encouraged in society to conform to traditional gender roles from a very young age onward. Also, bunches of middle aged white men in board rooms who don't like having women in top level/managerial positions are unfortunately more common than you would think in the private sector.
Reply 86
Original post by Manchester_123
Quote me where I said women are inferior before you spout your ****

The choice of the word 'feminazi' is intentionally degrading to women. And your calling the thread starter 'girl' again suggesting you are superior to her. Also suggesting it is only women who defend Islam as a religion as peaceful: this is blatantly incorrect as it's normally feminists who oppose Islam's treatment of women as bound to the house and having to hide their faces. etc.
Original post by cipi
I think it's nature but more 'natural interest' rather than natural ability. But that's just based on observations. You stick a woman at a desk for 8 hours a day in a non-social setting, and she will hate it. For a man, as long as the work is intellectually stimulating, he can enjoy it.

I don't really think it can be put down to a natural instinct either. Lots of women really enjoy STEM subjects and are very good at them and I think if more starts to be done to encourage young girls to take an interest in science then more women will end up studying STEM subjects at university. That is definitely a stereotype. I would be fine working at desk for 8 hours a day in a non social setting provided the work was intellectually stimulating and so would many other women. On the other hand, many men I know would hate that. What kind of work you enjoy has nothing to do with gender; it's down to personal preferences.
Original post by Sapphire321
What a brilliant and clever insight into the discussion... Also, given the definition of that as "a demasculated Millennial liberal male who often speaks of white privilege and modern feminism" then I would have to say since both myself and everyone else who supports women's rights on this thread are all female that is pretty inaccurate. If you look through the thread you will find most of the men here are very against women's rights.

88c.jpg
I give up. I presume you are trolling.
If you honesty believe there is a wage gap you're retarded. If this was the case, why wouldn't firms just hire women and cut costs. There are differences in pay because women work in lower paid jobs and tend to take time off work (children ect)
Discrimination is a factor. In the video it says the the wage gap doesn't take account of different job positions or different jobs. It is the average earnings of men and women working full time. Precisely my point, men are paid on average more than women due to:

1. More men in higher paid jobs/careers. Have you tried looking at why this is? Here's a hint, childbirth removes a woman from the workplace for a not insignificant length of time
2. More men in higher paid positions within the same organisation/career path. See above
3. Men being paid more than women for doing the same job. This is bs;it doesn't happen, because it is illegal. The men might work longer than women on average (my parents run a small accounting firm, roughly half the employees are women, maybe slightly more, and they are the first people out of the door come 5:30 with the men leaving 5-10 minutes later. This adds up over time)

1. Discrimination. To an extent, but not as far as you seem to be making out. Discrimination also goes both ways, see Noodle0's post on the first page
2. Gender conditioning/conforming to traditional gender roles. How did you come up with this ****? A curriculum is designed to teach, not manipulate people into doing certain things due to their biological genders.

Responses in bold.
Original post by Jammy Duel
It's clear somebody hasn't been doing their research or bothered thinking at all, but then again, that's the problem.

No, THIS is the problem with many people who go on TSR. There is a massively skewed proportion of extreme right wing white male "STEM master race" anti-feminists on here compared with wider society. I don't even know where to start with this post. Well, I'll first point out that I did actually think and do research. Did you actually read the whole post? I never post anything without being informed on the subject. The pay gap statistics I quoted were from the Office for National Statistics from 2015. As to the picture, it basically sums up the problem with some men's attitudes to women. That is a terribly narrow minded stereotype of feminism. Also, I am a future STEM student so your point certainly does not apply to me.
You want equality? You're no longer barred from close combat roles in the armed forces. Crack on.
Original post by Gladiatorsword
I believe we have infact surpassed gender ewuality to the point where men are now discriminated against in western society. In the uk schools offer a modular based examination sysyem which favours girls. There are multiple women in business/industry schemes for women but none are male based. Men are more likely to commit suicide and more likely to be raped if prison is included
Etc etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can see where you are coming from. It's a difficult issue and the problem is that it's so variable between different careers and companies. In some areas men are discriminated against because due to equality laws a woman has to be hired. This most often happens in the public sector where gender equality is better and there is now sometimes positive discrimination towards women to promote it more. However, in some career paths and companies there is still significant discrimination against women particularly for higher level jobs. This most often happens in the private sector. Ideally, there should not be either positive discrimination or negative discrimination applied to men or women. Does a modular system favour girls? If it does then they're getting rid of that anyway aren't they? That's because there are more men in business and industry in the first place. I do agree that more needs to be done about the number of men committing suicide definitely. I do obviously agree that something needs to be done to stop rapes in prisons but women are much more likely to be raped in general in the UK so that needs to be stopped as well.
Original post by Drewski
You want equality? You're no longer barred from close combat roles in the armed forces. Crack on.

I know, I just saw that on the news actually. Where did I say that was a bad thing?

Yes, I have already seen that and I never said that was a negative thing.
(edited 7 years ago)
I know, I just saw that on the news actually. Where did I say that was a bad thing?

Where did I say you did?

Awfully defensive, aren't you...
Original post by Drewski
Where did I say you did?

Awfully defensive, aren't you...

No, I'm just responding to the way you said it which was clearly designed to be presented in a negative way and to imply that feminists would not be in favour of that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending