The Student Room Group

How do personal issues impact the leniency of the university?

Hello, I am applying for a popular course here next year. However, there are some serious issues in my life at the moment and I am not sure how that will impact my ability to get in if I don't get the correct grades. The university is aware of these (school has sent letters about it to them), but I was unable to secure extenuating circumstances for my exams because the issues in question have been going on for years. Basically, my dad is severely mentally ill (severe bipolar and potentially ASPD), and on top of that my mum is permanently ill, so as you can imagine things have been turbulent and chaotic for years, especially the last two.

How would this affect admissions here if at all, especially considering I have a reduced offer already (Probably due to my good degree of experience in the field)?
Reply 1
Original post by TercioOfParma
Hello, I am applying for a popular course here next year. However, there are some serious issues in my life at the moment and I am not sure how that will impact my ability to get in if I don't get the correct grades. The university is aware of these (school has sent letters about it to them), but I was unable to secure extenuating circumstances for my exams because the issues in question have been going on for years. Basically, my dad is severely mentally ill (severe bipolar and potentially ASPD), and on top of that my mum is permanently ill, so as you can imagine things have been turbulent and chaotic for years, especially the last two.

How would this affect admissions here if at all, especially considering I have a reduced offer already (Probably due to my good degree of experience in the field)?

It's impossible for anyone to say. They might take the view that it's been going on for a while so you should be used to it by now - or they might be more lenient and say you've clearly not been achieving your potential for years.

You just need to try your best. You've hopefully already thought about studying during school lunchtimes, or studying in the library at weekends.
Reply 2
I am sorry you have to go through this during your A-Levels, but at least know this. If you don't get into the uni you wanted, you could always apply for an MSc after your BSc or MSci.
Original post by Juno
It's impossible for anyone to say. They might take the view that it's been going on for a while so you should be used to it by now - or they might be more lenient and say you've clearly not been achieving your potential for years.

You just need to try your best. You've hopefully already thought about studying during school lunchtimes, or studying in the library at weekends.

I think I will be ok, It is just I would like to know if that would be a factor that would make any difference.
Talk to admissions. If they are already aware then they will take it into account. they alos have other people with competing claims to balance.
You could possibly revisit special circs, but soemthing new would have had to have happened and youd need medical support.
Original post by 999tigger
Talk to admissions. If they are already aware then they will take it into account. they alos have other people with competing claims to balance.
You could possibly revisit special circs, but soemthing new would have had to have happened and youd need medical support.

Thanks a lot.
Thanks a lot.

Just to add. You need to know how to pitch your circumstances, so you arent begging, but do wnat them to take it fairly into account.

I would build up some sort of rapport or communication with the course leader/ admissions tutor. Maybe you can do a few things which show how you are coping and let them know about not being a victim but someone who is dealing with and learning from a difficult situation. Ofc you need the grades as well, but it might make you stick in their mind a little more.

As they have given you a reduced offer tbf they have probably taken it into account already. You may be fine on results day or you may fall way short.

The interesting one is were you fall only slightly short i.e by a grade and in those circumstances it will be speed of communication, just make your case, be first in the queue and appreciate there will be other students comepting for the same thing.

Trust in the fact they have to do this every year, so they have experience.
Original post by 999tigger
Just to add. You need to know how to pitch your circumstances, so you arent begging, but do wnat them to take it fairly into account.

I would build up some sort of rapport or communication with the course leader/ admissions tutor. Maybe you can do a few things which show how you are coping and let them know about not being a victim but someone who is dealing with and learning from a difficult situation. Ofc you need the grades as well, but it might make you stick in their mind a little more.

As they have given you a reduced offer tbf they have probably taken it into account already. You may be fine on results day or you may fall way short.

The interesting one is were you fall only slightly short i.e by a grade and in those circumstances it will be speed of communication, just make your case, be first in the queue and appreciate there will be other students comepting for the same thing.

Trust in the fact they have to do this every year, so they have experience.

Thanks a lot, in communications up to this point I haven't shown myself to be a whining victim, I would be a dick if I did act like that too. Shall contact them soon. As far as I know the reduced offer was down to the performace in the interview rather than the circumstance though, since they received letters from the school after I got my offer, although I did mention a bit of it in the interview and made it clear I thought I could meet their requirement anyway.
Thanks a lot, in communications up to this point I haven't shown myself to be a whining victim, I would be a dick if I did act like that too. Shall contact them soon. As far as I know the reduced offer was down to the performace in the interview rather than the circumstance though, since they received letters from the school after I got my offer, although I did mention a bit of it in the interview and made it clear I thought I could meet their requirement anyway.

It may be you are just nervous, when in fact you have done everthing right and got a better offer as a result. You might not have time to do an EPQ, but you cna update them on anything relevant. Your focus should just be on your grades now. That is how I would approach it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending