The Student Room Group

Brexit Rhetoric Must Change

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by otester
Extremism becomes popular in times of oppression and/or poor economic conditions, these can be addressed by the Brexitorys if they choose, however I do expect them to screw it up, imo only UKIP can be trusted with Brexit.

Yes and it is so easily manipulated by the self serving, something we are seeing across the board right now.

I wouldn't trust UKIP to run a McDonalds, they have a long way to prove themselves to be anything other than a protest vote and BNP light. I am not saying leaving the Union makes them racists, or that all their members are and I'm certainly not saying all their voters are, but there is a noticeable and significant proportion that are.
Reply 21
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Remainers are upset and its a free country so they can say what they want.

If Remain had won, there is no way in a million years Farage would have given up, UKIP would not have given up, they would not be saying "lets all work together now and accept the democratic will of the people to remain in the EU". Leavers would have been posting conspiracy theories round the internet about the voting being rigged, peoples votes being rubbed out, the establishment making sure Brexit didn't happen.

Look at what Farage was saying as the polls closed: http://news.sky.com/story/1716585/win-or-lose-this-battle-well-win-this-war

Does that sound like a man who would have "respected democracy" and agreed to change his rhetoric to accept that Britain wanted to stay in the EU...

Absolutely right. This polarisation and its undemocratic urges, are present across the board. Being of the left my despair if felt more keenly though. I also think the left, or at least those that have placed themselves in its center at the moment, are the most authoritarian and problematic.
Reply 22
Original post by JamesN88
A lot of the far left/right fringe idiots simply look for any reason to cause trouble and jump on the bandwagon. The best solution IMO is to just ignore them so they don't get any gratification out of it.

I would love to but many of them have power in 2016. I look forward to the day when ignoring the authoritarian nature of each wing can be, but for now it is getting worse and is dangerous.
Original post by Damien96
Yes and it is so easily manipulated by the self serving, something we are seeing across the board right now.

I wouldn't trust UKIP to run a McDonalds, they have a long way to prove themselves to be anything other than a protest vote and BNP light. I am not saying leaving the Union makes them racists, or that all their members are and I'm certainly not saying all their voters are, but there is a noticeable and significant proportion that are.

And you consider the LibLabCon to be examples of "proven" parties?
Reply 24
Original post by otester
And you consider the LibLabCon to be examples of "proven" parties?

I can mistrust those at the same time. I do consider them proven though yes, for both good and bad.

To paraphrase someone else on a different topic, if UKIP are the answer it's a stupid question.
Original post by Jebedee
Agreed, I'm disgusted by some of the racist abuse that is being thrown around on the streets at the moment. I will certainly be calling it out wherever I witness it.

Political discourse is one thing but harassing and abusing people in the street is not acceptable.

Where is your hard evidence that this is taking place at a greater level than it was prior to Brexit?

There is a media narrative here, I am amazed you can't see that.. The police have reported a greater reporting of hate speech incidents, that is all and the press have tried to ramp it up.

These incidents are few and far between (compare refugee hostels getting burned to the ground in Germany) and yet there is a sort of moral panic. Totally absurd.
Reply 26
Original post by generallee
Where is your hard evidence that this is taking place at a greater level than it was prior to Brexit?

There is a media narrative here, I am amazed you can't see that.. The police have reported a greater reporting of hate speech incidents, that is all and the press have tried to ramp it up.

These incidents are few and far between (compare refugee hostels getting burned to the ground in Germany) and yet there is a sort of moral panic. Totally absurd.

Everyone blames the media, we can't base conversations around media conspiracies or we will get nowhere.

I agree that reporting racist graffiti as the beginning of a new Krystallnacht is not just ridiculous, but self-fulfilling and dangerous, but the fact is racist incidents have surged.

I sincerely hope this will die down soon and is just the response of two polarising campaigns, but pretending there isn't the potential for this to explode into something far more serious is also problematic.
Everyone blames the media, we can't base conversations around media conspiracies or we will get nowhere.

I agree that reporting racist graffiti as the beginning of a new Krystallnacht is not just ridiculous, but self-fulfilling and dangerous, but the fact is racist incidents have surged.

I sincerely hope this will die down soon and is just the response of two polarising campaigns, but pretending there isn't the potential for this to explode into something far more serious is also problematic.

Evidence?

If it is a "fact" you will have chapter and verse of the number of incidents and how serious they are, right?

Care to share?
Reply 28
Evidence?

If it is a "fact" you will have chapter and verse of the number of incidents and how serious they are, right?

Care to share?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-hate-crime-racism-reports-eu-referendum-latest-a7106116.html

Took me 3 seconds.

Again, I'm not saying the brown shirts are roaming the streets, but we should still be vigilant.
Remain supporters have to do a few things.

1 - Be an adult and accept the result of a democratic process

2 - Stop claiming racism where it doesn't exist

Leave supporters must do a few things

1 - Call out racism within their ranks where it does exist

2 - Stop indulging in conspiracy theories

And we all must accept that people are allowed to disagree. I voted remain, I am depressed about it, demonising the elderly and patronising the poor does not help.

http://thesatedire.com/news/uk-news/euthanasia-of-elderly-and-racist-incidents-increase-after-brexit/

Massively pro-remain here and completely agree with you sentiment.

Whether we agree or disagree with the final decision (or like me, despair) - it was a democratic process. This is the result. We need to all stick together as a country to pull through this, infighting isn't helpful, the Tories and Labour do enough of that already.
Reply 30
Original post by Hirondelle127
Massively pro-remain here and completely agree with you sentiment.

Whether we agree or disagree with the final decision (or like me, despair) - it was a democratic process. This is the result. We need to all stick together as a country to pull through this, infighting isn't helpful, the Tories and Labour do enough of that already.

Exactly. Unfortunately voices for calm tend not to be as noisy as the voices for panic.
don't tell me what to do. i don't value the abstract concept of democracy more than the economy, legislation, free movement, etc, hence i'll continue to criticise brexit.
Reply 32
Original post by blah3210
don't tell me what to do. i don't value the abstract concept of democracy more than the economy, legislation, free movement, etc, hence i'll continue to criticise brexit.

You took that bizarrely personally but OK :smile:

We can all google the facts, maybe it's not so much that there is more racism, but people are definitely more vocal about it.

My mother's French (and my dad is British, thus I am too), she's got a French accent when she speaks. It's nothing major, but just a slight lilt to her words, and you can tell she's foreign. I have seen/heard at least four people on separate occasions be extremely rude to her and tell her to go back to her own country since the Leave Vote. I'd never seen that happen to her before - not in Britain at least.

To be perfectly honest - there are idiots everywhere, maybe it's just Gloucestershire that's like this, and I'm sure those were in a minority. That said, please don't underestimate the fact that some twits are using this as an excuse to be rather unpleasant, so for the time being there is and will be an increase in hate-related speech and crimes towards immigrants. I don't think it'll last too long though, but it's there.
You took that bizarrely personally but OK :smile:

Sorry about that, not in a good mood right now :sigh:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-hate-crime-racism-reports-eu-referendum-latest-a7106116.html

Took me 3 seconds.

Again, I'm not saying the brown shirts are roaming the streets, but we should still be vigilant.

Why would you post a link that proves my point?

How is the fact that there have been 29 more reported incidents of hate crime (which you yourself admit may just be racist graffitti) amongst a population of more than sixty million even news?

If you want to prevent racial strife and promote social cohesion I suggest you hope the Remain side are unsuccessful in their campaigning to overturn the result.

If we don't eventually exit and control immigration the lid really WILL blow off.
Reply 36
Original post by blah3210
Sorry about that, not in a good mood right now :sigh:

Run away from the Internet, it never helps!
Run away from the Internet, it never helps!

you're right lol, I actually came here looking for some advice but the amount of hate here is making me anxious and angry so it's best to leave :tongue:
Reply 38
Why would you post a link that proves my point?

How is the fact that there have been 29 more reported incidents of hate crime (which you yourself admit may just be racist graffitti) amongst a population of more than sixty million even news?

If you want to prevent racial strife and promote social cohesion I suggest you hope the Remain side are unsuccessful in their campaigning to overturn the result.

If we don't eventually exit and control immigration the lid really WILL blow off.

If you don't mind me saying, I think you are assuming things about my position that are untrue.

I even mentioned, several times, how claiming this to be a new krystallnacht is dangerous and I said from the off we should all accept the result of a democratic vote.

I don't blame you for not reading through the thread but if you did you would see I agree with everything you said, other than the conclusions you have come to.

This is an updated report from the police. We need not panic, but it should be addressed.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/brexit-hate-crime-racism-stats-spike-police-england-wales-eu-referendum-a7126706.html
If you don't mind me saying, I think you are assuming things about my position that are untrue.

I even mentioned, several times, how claiming this to be a new krystallnacht is dangerous and I said from the off we should all accept the result of a democratic vote.

I don't blame you for not reading through the thread but if you did you would see I agree with everything you said, other than the conclusions you have come to.

This is an updated report from the police. We need not panic, but it should be addressed.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/brexit-hate-crime-racism-stats-spike-police-england-wales-eu-referendum-a7126706.html

Glad that you agree that the democratic vote should be observed. Although it is rather depressing that this should even be in question from the losers. One of the hallmarks of our polity has always been that a vote is peacefully and graciously accepted. Some of the Remain side are acting like a strong man General in some nascent African state. The election was rigged! Run it again. Pathetic.

We are going to have to agree to disagree about this particular media narrative of a "surge" in hate crimes.

I say it is media hysteria. Groundless moral panic. And that the millions of differing nationalities and creeds and ethnicities are living together in our nation mostly in great peace. Just as they did before the vote.

Quick Reply

Latest