The Student Room Group

Should I do psychology or sociology at A - level?

Which is more interesting?
Which is easier?
Which is more literacy based (i.e. more writing and essays)?
Psychology
Sociology
Depends on exam board
Reply 2
sociology is easier according to people at my school who did both sociology and psychology
Original post by Mahfuz_A
Which is easier?

If you're picking them because it's easy, don't. Pick it because you enjoy it. I did both Psychology and Sociology :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by emiloujess
If you're picking them because it's easy, don't. Pick it because you enjoy it. I did both Psychology and Sociology :smile:

What kind of topics were there in each?
I heard that in sociology, you study families & the education system - which doesn't seem very interesting to me.
What kind of topics were there in each?
I heard that in sociology, you study families & the education system - which doesn't seem very interesting to me.

Depends on the exam board... I did Families, Education (which was actually quite interesting), Beliefs and Crime & Deviance. For Psychology we did 15 core studies in the first year across 5 approaches and then forensic and sport in the second year. But I would find a subject that interests you rather than an 'easy' one because I picked a so-called easy one (not because of that though) and it's probably the subject that cost me my uni place 😂
Reply 6
Depends on the exam board... I did Families, Education (which was actually quite interesting), Beliefs and Crime & Deviance. For Psychology we did 15 core studies in the first year across 5 approaches and then forensic and sport in the second year. But I would find a subject that interests you rather than an 'easy' one because I picked a so-called easy one (not because of that though) and it's probably the subject that cost me my uni place 😂

What skills do you gain from studying sociology?
I've currently picked this to study from September.
I'd say Psychology is more highly regarded by unis. I regret not picking it as everyone in my year that did Psych looooved it and were happy with their exams (AQA). I'd say to look at the topics you'd learn for each subject if you'er really unsure and choose the one which interests you more.
What skills do you gain from studying sociology?
I've currently picked this to study from September.

Well I've become a lot more analytical and my essay structure has improved so much 😊 A lot of it is also relatable to real life.
Reply 9
Well I've become a lot more analytical and my essay structure has improved so much 😊 A lot of it is also relatable to real life.

Oh, yeah I want to study a more literacy based humanities subject along with maths, physics and art.
Pick psychology, it can be interesting at times which makes it more enjoyable to study. Whereas, with sociology most of my friends who picked it thought it was going to be an 'easy A' but they dont really enjoy it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which is easier?

What would you like to study at uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sociology is awesome. I'm currently doing it at uni.

From a career perspective, it is possible to study sociology and/or psychology at uni without A levels in either. I know this from experience.

Definitely do something because you are interested in it. Both sociology and psychology require you to memorise and apply theories in written exams so either way both require similar studying skills and techniques.
I picked sociology because I thought it might be easier than psychology but it's probably just as hard and both sounded interesting to me, sociology was just my last choice but has turned out to be my favourite and I've applied to study it at uni☺ you learn such interesting things about life that are relatable, and it's applicable to any career. But looking back I wish I'd have picked both sociology and psychology.

Quick Reply

Latest