The Student Room Group

I've gained a third class honours degree.

Am I going to have problems finding a well paid job.
Reply 1
do a masters?
Most-likely yeah.

What University did you get it from Cambridge?
Reply 3
isnt a third a fail?
Reply 4
People have 2:1s and can't get a job these days....degrees are becoming so devalued, like a super inflation. For you the best bet would be to keep studying, though getting into a masters on a 3rd is going to be hard, but it can be done! Best of luck OP!
Reply 5
Original post by shawtyb
isnt a third a fail?

No,

it goes 1st, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd, Pass, Fail

If you fail I don't think you get the degree, I know in masters if you fail you end up with a post grad diploma or post grad certificate, depending how many credits you actually got. Though you can completely fail a masters though and get nothing.
Reply 6
Original post by fg45344
No,

it goes 1st, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd, Pass, Fail

If you fail I don't think you get the degree, I know in masters if you fail you end up with a post grad diploma or post grad certificate, depending how many credits you actually got. Though you can completely fail a masters though and get nothing.

ok right ok :smile:
Most likely yes. What was your degree in?
Original post by shawtyb
isnt a third a fail?

No, a fail is an overall mark of 39% or below.

A 3rd is usually an overall mark of 45-49%*
Original post by princess pokey

What was the subject
Most degrees may as well be toilet paper
Reply 11
It makes it less likely but doesnt rule it out by a long shot, depending the field of work many employers prefer experience over a degree as theyre little more than a means of shortening the list of applicants to be interviewed.
You can still get a job, I worked at M and S a year back and one of my colleagues friend got a 3rd and got into a job.

Did you do any work experience? Try volunteering what is related to your degree subject. Work experience matters nowadays.

You could try programming, which there are lots of well paid job out there: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4072475 Just build your own projects and show them on GitHub.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by princess pokey

I suggest trying to become a tightrope walker, as it would fit your skills...
Reply 14
I got a Third Class Honours degree, I was into sports (unfortunately) and few personal problems during the third year ...I was accepted for a Master degree (i got Distinction). Now i am completing my 2nd MSc (distinction again) and i got an offer for a Phd degree! Good Luck. A 3rd class honours is not bad, at the end of the day!
You can do postgraduate degree or even a masters degree at the Open University. Check it out, they are flexible with entry requirements.

Do some volunteer work, get some experience, network.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending