The Student Room Group

Does tsr support the #blacklivesmattermovement

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Playmaker#10
Completely 100% against anyone who thinks that killing innocent officers is somehow advocacy and a form of protest.

Except quite obviously this is not what the Black Lives Matter movement supports.
This idea that every black person killed by a cop happens to be innocent is part of the reasons no one regards BLM as a sensible organisation.

Who said that or have you just made it up?
Original post by StrawbAri
That statistic in no way justifies the killing of unarmed men

I didn't say it did, I just said that the reason why Police officers kill more unarmed black men than unarmed white men is because Black men are responsible for a disproportionate amount of violence and crime in America.

I'm sorry but that's the truth. Fix the community before pointing fingers at the government or the police.
Original post by Plagioclase
Except quite obviously this is not what the Black Lives Matter movement supports.

Original post by 999tigger
Who said that or have you just made it up?

[video="youtube;b-dr_IhQu-I"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-dr_IhQu-I[/video]
There are many many MANY more examples I could pull up, people actually making videos on it.

I just wanted to show you that you're not to sure what you're talking about.

The same way I could bring up many examples of right wingers being racists and homophobes. This still doesn't justify the sweeping generalisation you just made. It's illlogical and you can't deny that.
I didn't say it did, I just said that the reason why Police officers kill more unarmed black men than unarmed white men is because Black men are responsible for a disproportionate amount of violence and crime in America.

I'm sorry but that's the truth. Fix the community before pointing fingers at the government or the police.

America should fix they're problem with police brutality. It's not just black people getting killed by police. Every year 500+ people are killed by police. Maybe if people actually did something about that BLM wouldn't exist in the first place.

And black men aren't commiting crimes because they have some sort of inherent propensity towards crime. They are in a relatively worse socioeconomic situation than other races so are more likely to commit crime. The poorer you are the more likely you are to commit crime. It's the governments job to tackle poverty in black areas.
(edited 7 years ago)
The same way I could bring up many examples of right wingers being racists and homophobes. This still doesn't justify the sweeping generalisation you just made. It's illlogical and you can't deny that.

It's not a generalisation, most of the BLM supporters knee jerk reaction after any shooting is to support the killing of innocent police officers, and burn and loot stores and businesses, some of them run by other black people which makes them look like moronic hypocrites.

It's just a shame that all your mouths are stapled shut whenever black kids get murdered by other black kids in Chicago and new york, maybe if you actually cared about black lives people would take you seriously and not think you the group as nothing more than a terrorist organisation funded by WHITE billionaire elitists like George soros
Don't you think that's because 13% of Black people account for over 50% of all the homicides in America?

Where are the protests over the gang violence plague in Chicago and New york?

Why are your voices only heard when it's a black person getting killed by a white person?

The movement just make you guys look like attention seeking hypocrites.

I'm talking about unarmed young black men. I'm talking about the cases where excessive force was not necessary, i.e. police brutality. Black men are overrepresented in these cases, and 25% of all police officers openly admit to having seen racial profiling while on duty.

Number one:
Black people who kill other black people don't do it because they're black.
Number two:
Everyone has the right to a fair trial.
Number three:
Black people who do kill other black people go to ****ing jail.
Justice is served. If a police officer murders someone unarmed in cold blood, regardless whether they are Black or White or Hispanic or Asian, justice should be served.
Police officers are not above the law. The guy who shot the police officers is dead. The police officers who murdered Eric Garner and Tamir Rice are not even behind bars. Get some perspective.
No, I think it is destructive to African Americans.
America should fix they're problem with police brutality. It's not just black people getting killed by police. Every year 500+ people are killed by police. Maybe if people actually did something about that BLM wouldn't exist in the first place.

Now you're making sense.

Is there a police brutality problem in America? Yes.

Should the police restructure the way the handle crimes? Yes

But are black people the only group we should be focusing on and giving air-time to?

NO
There is so much ignorance on this thread I've actually gotten a headache.

BLM isn't saying that we're the only ones that are important or that people should care for, it's about being cared for AS MUCH as anyone else. Yes the black community has a ton of issues, yes some of us can be absolute idiots, yes we kill each other far more than we should, and I'm not even going to pretend that some of us do things that warrant the use of force by the police, but it's the disproportionality that is the problem.

Black communities have problems just like every other community, be it based on race, religion, orientation, or gender. But if you can spare their lives, why can't you spare ours? What have we done or said that is so much worse than another group that means we need to pay for it with our lives? I honestly dare anyone to give me a valid reason, because there simply isn't one.

America has a race problem and it has a gun problem, but taking away just one won't fix the overarching issue of people being needlessly murdered by those in authority. People need to recognize that we're more than just numbers on a page, we have families, we have friends, we have dreams, and we have the capacity to contribute just as much as any other person would. BLM isn't about putting us on a pedestal, it's about us being on equal footing
Doesnt answer the point you made and the question I asked.
Original post by Blue_Mason
Or are you against it?

TSR is a composite of the members who make it up. I don't believe it as a single body officially either supports or does not support this movement. I personally however, do and I think that the majority of TSR members support it.
Original post by elizah
I'm talking about unarmed young black men. I'm talking about the cases where excessive force was not necessary, i.e. police brutality. Black men are overrepresented in these cases, and 25% of all police officers openly admit to having seen racial profiling while on duty.

Number one:
Number two:
Number three:
Justice is served. If a police officer murders someone unarmed in cold blood, regardless whether they are Black or White or Hispanic or Asian, justice should be served.
Police officers are not above the law. The guy who shot the police officers is dead. The police officers who murdered Eric Garner and Tamir Rice are not even behind bars. Get some perspective.

"Black people who kill other black people don't do it because they're black."

No, they only do it because they are brought up in a ghetto drug filled gun totting fatherless culture that worships and praises gang-bangers and gangsta rap.

The culture of black people in the slum is what needs to be addressed, the disproportionate amount of crime black people commit needs to be addressed, I've already said that there might be a serious problem with violence in the police department, but why are black people only concerned about this when the killer is a white police officer?

White people get murdered in a far greater amount than black people the only difference is that they aren't funded by globalists who want to divide and conquer America

Woops, guess I hate all white people now!
Reply 75
I'm against BLM
A group who's founders were inspired by a cop killer
Members have chanted about wanting dead cops
Members talking about killing all white people and males
They claim to want a more equal society but when pressed on their proposals for this they have none and instead ask for free money and segragation
They bring race into everything and claim everything is white supremacy.

I have no doubt some members of BLM want a more equal society but I do not judged a group by its definition I judge it by their actions and what they have done in the past does not suggest equality.

BLM=a terrorist organisation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by elizah
Woops, guess I hate all white people now!

The difference here is that she said that she hasn't seen anyone praise the killers of the dallas police officers, which was an ignorant statement.

I never said that there weren't vicious racists in America.

Pointless strawman argument there.
I'm against it, its pandering to a minority.

Nobody ever considers that many of those shot may actually be committing crimes.
#AllLivesMatter.

However, in relation to last night's events, people using a police shooting as an excuse to cause havoc have no positive intention whatsoever and shouldn't be associated with the movement they're trying to justify themselves with.

Just like Islamic State justifying their actions by saying it's their religion.
Just like all the chavs in the London Riots grabbing themselves a free TV because "is being oppressed fam innit".
Original post by elizah

Number one:
Number two:
Number three:

Firstly, I don't see what the issue is with racial profiling. It is a fact that any given black person is more likely to be a criminal, than any given white person. Now whilst that is down to a whole range of cultural and socioeconomic reasons, and not an inherent trait of being black, it is nonetheless a fact. So racial profiling is both entirely natural, and indeed logical.

Secondly, the scene you're setting does not apply to the death of Alton Sterling. We are talking about someone who had multiple criminal convictions, and more pertinently, the police were called out because someone was out on the streets waving a gun around. They restrained him, and then someone shouts 'he's got a gun!' as the guy is visibly trying to shake off the cop. In that scenario, I can understand why the cop acted the way he did. He was quite understandably concerned that he was about to get shot. Similarly, in the other one, the guy announces he has a gun and then sticks his hand into his glove compartment without further ado. Now, maybe these were cases of racism, maybe they weren't. I can't profess to know for sure either way. But in general, I have a lot of sympathy for cops in the US. I don't know why anyone would choose to do it.

And I'd suggest that's the reason behind so much 'police brutality' in the States. You're talking about a country where every man and his dog has a firearm. Every time someone sticks a hand in their pocket or under their glove compartment, it is entirely plausible that they could pull a gun out. The police have to be heavy handed, because if they aren't then they'll get shot.

Quick Reply

Latest