The Student Room Group

School not letting me take the module i want?

Basically i want to take S1 next year instead of M2, however the school has said that i would have to turn up to M2 lessons and self teach S1. I'm fine with self teaching however going to M2 lessons will be completely pointless. Should i just take M2 instead or wold S1 be very easy and quick to teach that it wont matter? I'm on edexcel bw
Original post by HopelessMedic
Basically i want to take S1 next year instead of M2, however the school has said that i would have to turn up to M2 lessons and self teach S1. I'm fine with self teaching however going to M2 lessons will be completely pointless. Should i just take M2 instead or wold S1 be very easy and quick to teach that it wont matter? I'm on edexcel bw

Do S1 unless you want to do engineering at university or you do physics A level, that's when you'll need m2. My college forced me to do D1 and I regret it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maggie43
Do S1 unless you want to do engineering at university or you do physics A level, that's when you'll need m2. My college forced me to do D1 and I regret it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh tbh I don't really care about the content I just want to pick the one I will get highest ums in, which should be S1 as its easier
I personally think M2 is of identical difficulty to M1 which i assume you must have already taken so i don't think learning M2 will be much hassle, there's not really much new stuff in it anyways, its just applying M1 stuff to slughtly different situations
No idea what all these M's and S's are butnif something is exams based only, your school can't stop you from answering the questions on the paper that you would prefer. If it's coursework then it's more complicated.
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
No idea what all these M's and S's are butnif something is exams based only, your school can't stop you from answering the questions on the paper that you would prefer. If it's coursework then it's more complicated.

These Ms and Ss are entirely different exam papers, so that is not a practical solution.
Reply 6

Speak to your school again ask if you can not do M2 and just self teach yourself S1. If you did well at AS ie all A's then they know you will put the effort it just make it clear to them
Original post by beautifulbigmacs

Why even post this? It clearly doesn't help anyone and is completely missing the point.
If you want to take S1, take S1. I assume they just want you in lesson to be able to mark you present or whatever. You won't learn M2 and you can do S1 while everyone else does M2. There's nothing more to it.

That's crazy - our students get a free choice which sometmes means I'm teaching more than one module.

It's their A level and my responsibility to offer them the combination they want.

I'd self-study it over the holiday and ask them to set you a mock when you go back to prove you know it. No need to then attend M2 lessons unless you can sit at the back and do S1 past papers.
Sorry folks. I have experience of where all optional modules of another subject were on one paper and that solved that problem.

It may be possible to enter yourself as a private candidate for the subject/modules at another centre op. This is very possible if you are willing to self teach and can liaise with another exam centre. Trouble is that this will probably alienate you from doing other modules of the same subject at your current college. Guess you need to weigh up what matters to you.
Reply 11

ask your m2 teacher whether they'd be willing to let you sit in lessons tending to your own business, during which you could teach yourself s1
You could ask them if you could self teach S1, enter for the S1 exam, and turn up to M2 lessons whilst doing independent study for S1 while everyone else learns M2, surely?
So, you're allowed to self teach S1 in class, but you just don't want to go to the M2 lessons? I'd say just go to the lessons and learn S1.
Cheers guys, I guess Ill learn S1 over summer and see what they say. The main issue was that they don't want to enter me for an exam which they haven't taught me any content for (S1). But hopefully they'll reconsider if I prove that I'm not gunna fail S1 if they let me take it

Quick Reply

Latest