The Student Room Group

Physics and maths

Hey! I'm starting these A-Levels soon and I'm nervous because everyone seems more clued up than me :P
Has anybody got any resources like videos which help make the subjects easier? I couldn't cope without resources last year with the teachers I had for GCSE ^.^

Scroll to see replies

Voilà

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/Edexcel/period-1/specification.php
http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/maths-revision/
http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/edexcel-revision
http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/alevel.html
http://www.themathsteacher.com/a_level_maths.php
http://www.madasmaths.com/archive_iygb_practice_papers_c1_practice_papers.html
https://mathswebsite.com/a-level

Original post by TheNerdxP
Hey! I'm starting these A-Levels soon and I'm nervous because everyone seems more clued up than me :P Has anybody got any resources like videos which help make the subjects easier? I couldn't cope without resources last year with the teachers I had for GCSE ^.^
(edited 7 years ago)
Thankyou so much! :biggrin: That's maths sorted! How are you finding the subject at A-Level? Is it as much of a step as it's said to be?

I start A/S-levels this coming academic year :smile:

For maths GCSE to AS isn't really a jump - it's pretty easy, I've finished C1 and doing through C2 nothing too difficult in terms of new concepts and maths. Looking at the A2 stuff and going off what other people have told me, I think there will be a big "jump" in difficult from AS to A2.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by 34908seikj
I start A/S-levels this coming academic year :smile:

For maths GCSE to AS isn't really a jump - it's pretty easy, I've finished C1 and doing through C2 nothing too difficult in terms of new concepts and maths. Looking at the A2 stuff and going off what other people have told me, I think there will be a big "jump" in difficult from AS to A2.

Ah I see! By the looks of things you'll certainly be capable for next year. Which other subjects do you take? By any chance do you do Physics?
Ah I see! By the looks of things you'll certainly be capable for next year. Which other subjects do you take? By any chance do you do Physics?

I don't actually do physics, I HATE IT! I'll be doing Maths, further maths, Government and politics & Computer science.
Reply 6
I don't actually do physics, I HATE IT! I'll be doing Maths, further maths, Government and politics & Computer science.

Each to their own I guess xD
Oooh what're Politics and Computer Science like? I'm sorry to be a hassle but I'm just curious :tongue:
Reply 7

I do physics and have just finished my first year of college AS, as long as you can do physics at GCSE at a B or above, you'll be fine at AS. Just remember to revise regularly throughout the year otherwise it will be hell when it comes to exam time!
To make the "jump" smaller, I'd recommend this channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZzatyx-xC-Dl_VVUVHYDYw

And perhaps buy a physics textbook linked with the exam board you will be studying with. I didn't know exactly which exam board I'd have so I just bought a CGP AS level physics revision guide before I'd started college. The main physics concepts are the same for each board, it's just the odd thing here and there that differentiates the exam boards.
Each to their own I guess xD
Oooh what're Politics and Computer Science like? I'm sorry to be a hassle but I'm just curious :tongue:

Eh, I don't know much about Computer science since I don't care about it that much lol. I see it as a more technical version of IT I guess. More maths, programming etc. I could be wrong, but looking at specification that's that it seems like.

Government and politics is probably the subject I'm most looking forward to the most, fighting for the top spot along with Further maths.

This thread will probably give you a better understanding of Government and politics though

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=211529
Reply 9
Original post by Jas1947
I do physics and have just finished my first year of college AS, as long as you can do physics at GCSE at a B or above, you'll be fine at AS. Just remember to revise regularly throughout the year otherwise it will be hell when it comes to exam time!
To make the "jump" smaller, I'd recommend this channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZzatyx-xC-Dl_VVUVHYDYw

And perhaps buy a physics textbook linked with the exam board you will be studying with. I didn't know exactly which exam board I'd have so I just bought a CGP AS level physics revision guide before I'd started college. The main physics concepts are the same for each board, it's just the odd thing here and there that differentiates the exam boards.

That's good to hear! I suppose the people which surround me in that class kind of made me conscious whether I can do it or not. Thankyou very much! I am too unsure of what my exam board is so I may have to get the same revision guide :smile:
That's good to hear! I suppose the people which surround me in that class kind of made me conscious whether I can do it or not. Thankyou very much! I am too unsure of what my exam board is so I may have to get the same revision guide :smile:

To be honest I think that your success will depend mainly on your dedication to revision. Obviously your teacher and environment will influence you but your mindset is the most important factor. I was very naive when I started college and was under the impression that I could always rely on my teacher when I was stuck. My teacher was appalling so a lot of the work I did was through self study which wasn't great for me. But other colleges have fantastic teachers. I don't want to stress you out or anything but what I'm trying to say is, don't rely on your teachers too much, not all of them are bad but just in case they are, always stay a step ahead of the class through self study...otherwise you'll be like me and self teaching yourself a whole unit only 2 weeks before an exam. And normally it takes a month to be taught that. Just stay a step ahead, always.
Reply 11
Eh, I don't know much about Computer science since I don't care about it that much lol. I see it as a more technical version of IT I guess. More maths, programming etc. I could be wrong, but looking at specification that's that it seems like.

Government and politics is probably the subject I'm most looking forward to the most, fighting for the top spot along with Further maths.

This thread will probably give you a better understanding of Government and politics though

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=211529

They are of course the best subjects, I too am going to fight for all of the top spots! Good luck, not that you'll need it but it's a good job we don't go to the same College ;P
]For maths GCSE to AS isn't really a jump]

I personally do not agree with this!
Reply 13
Original post by Jas1947
To be honest I think that your success will depend mainly on your dedication to revision. Obviously your teacher and environment will influence you but your mindset is the most important factor. I was very naive when I started college and was under the impression that I could always rely on my teacher when I was stuck. My teacher was appalling so a lot of the work I did was through self study which wasn't great for me. But other colleges have fantastic teachers. I don't want to stress you out or anything but what I'm trying to say is, don't rely on your teachers too much, not all of them are bad but just in case they are, always stay a step ahead of the class through self study...otherwise you'll be like me and self teaching yourself a whole unit only 2 weeks before an exam. And normally it takes a month to be taught that. Just stay a step ahead, always.

Thankyou very much for your advice and I agree but ashamedly I already know through my rubbish school - we had six supply teachers just for Science and I taught myself the whole unit the day before the exam so I hope that's taught me a lesson or two. I'm sure you'll be very successful and I also wish you luck for the future exams! It is unfair that some teachers are better than others but I'm sure your determination will make up for that :h:
Reply 14
Original post by Plagioclase

How so? ^.^
How so? ^.^

I personally found the step from GCSE to AS Maths pretty big, certainly at the start at least.
Thankyou very much for your advice and I agree but ashamedly I already know through my rubbish school - we had six supply teachers just for Science and I taught myself the whole unit the day before the exam so I hope that's taught me a lesson or two. I'm sure you'll be very successful and I also wish you luck for the future exams! It is unfair that some teachers are better than others but I'm sure your determination will make up for that :h:

If I manage to do well in physics then my teacher will take all the credit for it even though he was horrendous, but if I don't then he will blame it on me...the system is so unfair. And thank you so much for the kind words, you really sound very sensible and hard working, I'm sure you will excel with any A level you do, good luck to you too!

Really? What topics are you referring to? C1, C2, FP1 don't seem to be too big of a jump. I haven't really looking at any of the mechanics / statistics stuff though.

Edit, I saw your other post.

Maybe because I literally started covering AS the day after my GCSE maths that I don't find it too big of a jump, I guess it's different for everyone.
(edited 7 years ago)
Really? What topics are you referring to? C1, C2, FP1 don't seem to be too big of a jump. I haven't really looking at any of the mechanics / statistics stuff though.

Edit, I saw your other post.

Maybe because I literally started covering AS the day after my GCSE maths that I don't find it too big of a jump, I guess it's different for everyone.

Referring to C1. I didn't find the subsequent units too awful but I definitely did feel a noticeable jump from GCSE to C1 and again from C2 to C3 and again from FP2 to FP3.
Referring to C1. I didn't find the subsequent units too awful but I definitely did feel a noticeable jump from GCSE to C1 and again from C2 to C3 and again from FP2 to FP3.

Mentioning that, when I first started C1 I did actually struggle a bit with Integration and differentiation, just having to my sure my algebra was perfect, even if it was easy.

Quick Reply

Latest