The Student Room Group

2017 Bristol medicine hopefuls

Hello.Just wondering if there are any 2017 Bristol medicine hopefuls stalking this thread? If so, have you been to a Bristol open day for 2017 entry and did you attend the medicine admissions talk?Their selection process used to be based on 20% academics and 80% Personal Statement. Obviously it is changing now as they are part of the UKCAT consortium and AS levels are not being taken by everyone.. The 2017 admissions statement still isn't published and may not be available until the end of this month (I've just phoned medical admissions team). I'm just wondering what prospective students have been told at open days so far about how they are going to select students for interview eg weighting on academics, how they are using the UKCAT score etc.(I will be posting this question elsewhere, so apologies if you see it more than once)Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Its 10% UKCAT, 20% A levels/GCSE and 70% Personal Statement.

If you dont pass the academic requirements in full your application will be rejected without any other part of your application being looked at. If you do pass, your PS is scored and this is added to your academic score and your PS score to get a complete score. Invitations to interview are based on a ranking of these complete scores. As you can see, the PS is still the mainstay of the application.
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant

If you dont pass the academic requirements in full your application will be rejected without any other part of your application being looked at. If you do pass, your PS is scored and this is added to your academic score and your PS score to get a complete score. Invitations to interview are based on a ranking of these complete scores. As you can see, the PS is still the mainstay of the application.

Thank you for the detailed clarification. Bristol is a great place to study and my daughter would love to consider it but it looks more of a risky option if it still relies so heavily on the PS, compared to other med schools..
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Just_a_mum
Thank you for the detailed clarification. Bristol is a great place to study and my daughter would love to consider it but it looks more of a risky option if it still relies so heavily on the PS, compared to other med schools..

She needs to explain clearly why she wants to do Medicine as an adult career. And explain her work experience - picking out pertinent examples and incidents to reflect on and use to show the qualities needed by a doctor. Avoid talking about school-stuff unless its relevant. Lots of TSR advice about Applying for Medicine here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

She can't afford to get it wrong twice in one application cycle

Yes, but remember there is always the following year. Another year's work experience, another year's confidence and maturity. Many people succeed on their 2nd or even 3rd attempt and Med Schools never mark down suvh a repeat application. So it isn't 'this year or bust', and often doing A levels without the emotion/distraction of UCAS/Med application gets better A level grades.
Thanks. I understand your advice and agree that many applicants are successful on a second application as they have become better candidates, but she is guaranteed interviews with her achieved (GCSE) academics at a few universities already, so she may as well apply to them rather than risk it just in order to hope for an interview at a PS heavy med school. Do you know what the GCSE academic requirements are (that have to be met in full)? The med school have said that they will be publishing their selection procedure by the end of this month.My concern with an application to Bristol is that if they are still using the PS score as 70% of the overall score, and the UKCAT for only 10%, they will probably be inundated again this year with applicants whose UKCAT scores are not in the higher deciles (as well as applicants with great UKCAT scores) as the first group of applicants will have fewer choices this year. Many med schools are ranking their applicants on UKCAT score to select for interview and this leaves fewer med schools for those with lower end UKCAT scores to turn to.Obviously we will wait and see what the final selection procedure is from Bristol, and it hasn't been ruled out (in fact, she would really like to include it in the shortlist) but it would have to be a very good reason to apply there and not apply to a different med school with a guaranteed interview (provided the applicant liked it).

1) Guaranteed an interview because of her GCSE grades? Please explain.

2) Bristol, and frankly most other UK Med Schools, rightly look for FAR more than high grades. That isnt what makes a good doctor, and the GMA have made it quite clear they want a more open selection process that allows for diversity of backgrounds. Read this : http://www.gmc-uk.org/education/standards.asp Gradually Bristol will increase the reliance on UKCAT instead of a PS for this reason.

3) The GCSE requirements are listed on the course page (bottom of the qualifications panel).

4) Suggest your daughter gets onto TSR and starts asking her own questions .....
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello again. I don't want to get into an argument with you when you have been so helpful in answering my initial question. Just to explain as you have asked, and then perhaps we should end this conversation.

She will get an interview at Cardiff (rarely look at UKCAT) and Birmingham as she meets their criteria/cut off scores for interview based on GCSEs alone. Speaking to the head of admissions at another medical school at an open day a week ago, they would definitely interview her as they look at a combination of best 8 (or 9?) GCSE's and UKCAT score. With 12 A*s, her UKCAT would have to be a total failure not to get an interview. So that is possibly 3. Many med schools are paying little or no attention to the PS - as we all know, it can be written by someone else and it is not possible for them to check that it is factually correct. Then a fourth could be Oxbridge if she wants to take a risk with that one.

My son has just finished his first year at med school. I am a pharmacist of over 30 years. I know what makes a good doctor/health care professional - certainly not just GCSE's. My daughter has many personal attributes that make her a strong candidate. There is no guarantee that she would get an offer - she is far from complacent - but she does stand a good chance.

My daughter reads student room regularly and has her own account. As she is so busy having just finished her AS exams and last week completing a weeks work experience in hospital, and with every weekend for the last 4 weekends taken up with university visits all around the country, I decided to just do a bit of extra research myself. I find a lot of parents read (and post) on TSR - sometimes even using their child's account.

Thank you for your help in this matter. She will wait and see what Bristol actually publish as their admissions statement because it is was still not finalised when I phoned last week. And then we will decide if it is worth a visit to the open day in September(440 mile round trip).

You contradict yourself in paragraph 3 to paragraph 2 since you say she's guaranteed an interview then you say she stands a good chance and there's no guarantee...

Also, why are you saying personal statements can't be checked, when there's something called an interview process?? Also something called references?? And also something called phoning up wherever someone said they have had work experience to check..... so you seem misinformed.

You might want to proof read before you post next time g

Posted from TSR Mobile
NO-ONE is 'guaranteed an interview' on the basis of their GCSEs alone!

Your daughter will need to meet ALL the academic requirements in full AND present a decent PS, plus any other requirements (UKCAT etc) to even be considered - and she will be ranked against all other applicants for a highly contested interview place. IF she was interviewed, she would then be ranked for an offer on her interview score - and may not get an offer at all. Btw, you will not have a clue what any University's 'cut off score for interview' is, and just because a PS isnt referred to at interview does not mean it wasn't part of the selection process. Despite having (apparently) one child already on a degree course, you seem to have a very odd idea of how University admissions actually works.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
NO-ONE is 'guaranteed an interview' on the basis of their GCSEs alone!

Your daughter will need to meet ALL the academic requirements in full AND present a decent PS, plus any other requirements (UKCAT etc) to even be considered - and she will be ranked against all other applicants for a highly contested interview place. Btw, you will not have a clue what any University's 'cut off score for interview', and just because a PS isnt referred to at interview does not mean it wasn't part of the selection process. Despite having (apparently) one child already on a degree course, you seem to have a very sketchy idea of how University admissions actually works.

We will have to agree to differ. I do not wish to argue with you.about my knowledge of admissions procedures. My original question was only about Bristol as they confirmed on the phone that they haven't finalised or published the way in which they will deal with applications yet. I am more than comfortable with the requirements for the 9 medical schools under consideration as I have sat through the admissions talks for 5 of them over the last 4 weeks and have read up on the rest on the medical school websites and my daughter has planned visits for the remaining 4 this Saturday (Sheffield) and over September.
Insinuating that I am not telling the truth about my son is very rude and does not justify further comment.
Thank you for your original reply, but I do not think that this conversation is productive any more.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Lemauricien
Okay mumzy, look:
- it's implied your admission process knowledge is obscure through your wording.
- saying your question explicitly then saying no one is answering your question is contradictory because you , without any stimulus, decided to talk about your daughter being 'guaranteed offers' so don't try going against responses which you have given way for.
- why are you doing so much for your daughter, I always thought a personality a mature individual of 17/18 can make all these decisions and research by themselves..
Conclusively, your written communication needs some work in the sense of the logic behind it # constructive feedback

I wish you good luck in your application
Reply 10

So even if 1 grade is missed it will be a waste of an application?
Reply 11
Not sure if there's hope for me.
I have:
7A*s and 3As at GCSE,
AABB at AS (even though my B in Mathematics is the only one that counts),
A UKCAT average of 640 which isn't a competitive score.
I have quite a lot of work experience.
What do you think?:s-smilie: With my UKCAT score I don't even know places to apply where I'll have half a chance
UKCAT only counts for 10%.

Apply.
Hello again. I don't want to get into an argument with you when you have been so helpful in answering my initial question. Just to explain as you have asked, and then perhaps we should end this conversation.

She will get an interview at Cardiff (rarely look at UKCAT) and Birmingham as she meets their criteria/cut off scores for interview based on GCSEs alone. Speaking to the head of admissions at another medical school at an open day a week ago, they would definitely interview her as they look at a combination of best 8 (or 9?) GCSE's and UKCAT score. With 12 A*s, her UKCAT would have to be a total failure not to get an interview. So that is possibly 3. Many med schools are paying little or no attention to the PS - as we all know, it can be written by someone else and it is not possible for them to check that it is factually correct. Then a fourth could be Oxbridge if she wants to take a risk with that one.

My son has just finished his first year at med school. I am a pharmacist of over 30 years. I know what makes a good doctor/health care professional - certainly not just GCSE's. My daughter has many personal attributes that make her a strong candidate. There is no guarantee that she would get an offer - she is far from complacent - but she does stand a good chance.

My daughter reads student room regularly and has her own account. As she is so busy having just finished her AS exams and last week completing a weeks work experience in hospital, and with every weekend for the last 4 weekends taken up with university visits all around the country, I decided to just do a bit of extra research myself. I find a lot of parents read (and post) on TSR - sometimes even using their child's account.

Thank you for your help in this matter. She will wait and see what Bristol actually publish as their admissions statement because it is was still not finalised when I phoned last week. And then we will decide if it is worth a visit to the open day in September(440 mile round trip).

Hi There,

I'm going into my second year at Keele.

From my experience I found it best to go for 2 or 3 universities which I knew I was almost guaranteed an interview; and then use the final 4th option for a slightly more risky bet which I would be happy going to - in my case Bristol, but this could quite possibly be Oxbridge for your daughter. This way, I knew I should be interviewed (bar an unfortunate UKCAT or BMAT score!) and I could afford to take a risk on Bristol. Unforutnately, I missed their PS cut-off for an interview by 2.5% but I still would recommend following this structure. I rarely use TSR these days, but feel free to PM me and I'll reply ASAP, I'm advising quite a few people who aim to get into medical school next year :smile:

I looked the other day and deleted my PS, but I would recommend the following procedure for work experience:

where - sentence saying what you did - sentence saying what you gained from this. maybe linking into GMC guidelines, professionalism etc.

This was 50% of my PS, with the remainder being why I chose my subjects, hobbies (this needed improvement for me), etc -sorry it was quite a long time ago so I've forgotten exactly. If your son had feedback from failed applications see where he went wrong and improve on this in your daughter's application.

Does this help at all? If your daughter has >95% in her AS's I believe Cambridge are the better choice, oxford look more at GCSEs but this may have changed since when I applied; you're probably more informed than I am.

Finally, I vaguely remember a statistic of around 70% of first-time applicants not even receiving an offer (or maybe it was interview). Don't be disheartened. I perfonally felt that If I didn't get in first time I would apply again the following year; this may not suit your daughter though.
Original post by Lemauricien
Okay mumzy, look:
- it's implied your admission process knowledge is obscure through your wording.
- saying your question explicitly then saying no one is answering your question is contradictory because you , without any stimulus, decided to talk about your daughter being 'guaranteed offers' so don't try going against responses which you have given way for.
- why are you doing so much for your daughter, I always thought a personality a mature individual of 17/18 can make all these decisions and research by themselves..
Conclusively, your written communication needs some work in the sense of the logic behind it # constructive feedback

Don't be so petty. she is merely trying to help her daughter gain a place at medical school.
If your child has the same level of attitude and is as confrontational I don't see how she would ever gain a place.

Best wishes.
Where did you get this informatoin from , i just cant find it
Open Day at Bristol on Fri 9 September - last one before UCAS Medicine deadline - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/opendays/
no i meant about how the application is weighted on PS 80% and UKCAT and Academic Attainment 20%
Look in the Admissions Statement - the link to this is right at the very bottom of the course page.
Reply 19
9A* 1A at GCSE
ABBB at AS - predicted AAA for A2
680, band 3 in ukcat (do bristol look at sjt when considering applicants?)

volounteering + work experience, some extra curricular and lots of leadership roles.

do i stand a chance of getting in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending