The Student Room Group

Retaking A-levels 2016

My sister wants some help in what she can do in the future..
Hey I'm planning on retaking my A-levels in Sept which I started last Sept (Obviously..) I done Biology, English, History and Psychology however realised that I want to get back in touch with chemistry and geography. At GCSE I done fairly well however due to reasons other than laziness I feel like my best option would be to retake.. I plan on doing Biology, Chemistry, English and Geography and then either Biomed, Bio-sciences Economics or Law, however the subjects im currently taking doesn't correlate with my future passions, please can I get some advice on the matter, thank you.
So would you be re-sttting the entire year to redo four new A-levels? Personally I would bite the bullet and carry on with your current A-levels. It's your choice though, just make sure you have no regrets.

Law doesn't have any specific A-levels for you to study it at uni

Economics you will need A-level maths - If I remember correctly just at AS, you'd have to check as I might be wrong.

Obviously for Biosciences / med you need biology and chemistry.
Original post by 34908seikj
So would you be re-sttting the entire year to redo four new A-levels? Personally I would bite the bullet and carry on with your current A-levels. It's your choice though, just make sure you have no regrets.

Law doesn't have any specific A-levels for you to study it at uni

Economics you will need A-level maths - If I remember correctly just at AS, you'd have to check as I might be wrong.

Obviously for Biosciences / med you need biology and chemistry.

Economics require either Maths or Physics or Accounting or English, History, Government & Politics, etc. & why would you suggest i continue with it? as opposed to redo the year?
Original post by khateshumans
Economics require either Maths or Physics or Accounting or English, History, Government & Politics, etc. & why would you suggest i continue with it? as opposed to redo the year?

Mainly because it puts you at a disadvantage if you where looking to apply a top uni [think oxbridge] and it just looks bad, having to do as levels for two years. There's no question that, it's better to do the subjects you enjoy and want to do [re sit] than carry on and go down a path you don't want to go down.

I think you should carry on because like I said it puts you at a disadvantage, and it's not like your current A-levels are bad, three of them are considered 'hard' subjects and can get you on a vast amount of courses, provided you get the grades that is!

As you mentioned, they don't aline with your "future passions" It was just my opinion and what I would do. That being said, I did say do what you'll regret least essentially, which does seem to be re-doing the year. So, go for it!

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest