The Student Room Group

Government responds to second EU referendum petition

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Napp
Nothing, thats the point!

The single biggest decision in decades and for decades and to start with they both ran incompetant campaigns where they spent more time smearing each other and lying through their teeth than informing the public who [given googles most searched phrasesafterwards included 'what is the EU' and not to mention that the vote was so close at the end it is easily rgueable it should have been re-done untill one side had a real majority not a trickle..
Sorry I digressed but yes the email was nothing more than the usual PR someone writes on the back of a napkin and tosses away once done without a second thought which given how important this is, is rather uncoupth.

You dont seem to understand the way the petition system works. All seemed perfectly reasonable to me. Its not their place to give a response anything other than what they did. Your outrage is misplaced.
Reply 41
Original post by Jammy Duel
You might want to take your own advice

Posted from TSR Mobile

Burden of proof isn't on me, you're the one fudging the figures... quite impressively I might add.
Reply 42
Original post by 999tigger
You dont seem to understand the way the petition system works. All seemed perfectly reasonable to me. Its not their place to give a response anything other than what they did. Your outrage is misplaced.

I beg your pardon?

You misundersstand me, I'm not angry just mildly miffed :rolleyes:
Original post by Napp
Burden of proof isn't on me, you're the one fudging the figures... quite impressively I might add.

So you're trying to say that 4.15m is more than 25% of 17.4m, and that 4m is more than 25% of 16.1m and to suggest than in fact 4.1m and 4m are less than 17.4 and 16.1m respectively is fudging figures?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by Napp
Say what you will about the initial referendum being 'democratic' and we should abide by it but 4.1 million signatures on this petition is hardly a small number to fob off with an email.
do discuss)

By the way, it's not a fob off, it's just the process. They are obliged to respond, and they have. The debate is the next stage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In a nutshell:

"we said no before, we're saying no again"
Original post by 1998RF
The leave campaign states that if the referendum was a close call ( which lets face it, it was 51.9: 49.1) they would call for a second referendum. Surely the remain campaign should be extended the same privilege by calling for a second referendum - it certainly makes more sense. I understand that the referendum embodies democracy, but the leave victors cannot now be hypocritical and disallow the second referendum that would have been called for if the tables were turned. Also people shouldn't be forced out of their own country because of an issue such as this - perhaps a compromise would be the best thing? Leaving the EU, but still remaining close links with Europe. I think that's what the petition is calling for - a cry for attention stating that we should not abandon our European allies.

Source?
Where are people being forced out of the UK? And compromise on what exactly?
Who ever suggested abandoning Europe? The referendum was calling for a severance to the political union, not the trade part (that's my understanding of the Leave position anyway), so the 'cry for attention stating that we should not abandon our European allies' is not needed
Original post by Napp
I beg your pardon?

You misundersstand me, I'm not angry just mildly miffed :rolleyes:

Why would you be wibbling miffed or otherwise. Its just an e-mail informing you of the process and how it works. Its for the committee to discuss whether they discuss it and then parliament whether and to what extent they want to debate it.

The referendum was lost. We are leaving as the will of the people needs to be respected. I cnat see why we should be discussing a second referendum.

The only way something could be changed is via general election.
Reply 48
Original post by Napp
Say what you will about the initial referendum being 'democratic' and we should abide by it but 4.1 million signatures on this petition is hardly a small number to fob off with an email.
do discuss)

Quite right. We should have it carved in a stone tablet instead. Something along the lines of, "No, you can't have another referendum. Suck it up and deal with it, crybabies."
Reply 49
Original post by jneill
By the way, it's not a fob off, it's just the process. They are obliged to respond, and they have. The debate is the next stage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you misunderstand me, I am simply of the opinion that said email seems somewhat trivial given the gravity of the situation.

Original post by an_atheist
Source?
Who ever suggested abandoning Europe? The referendum was calling for a severance to the political union, not the trade part (that's my understanding of the Leave position anyway), so the 'cry for attention stating that we should not abandon our European allies' is not needed

Well as Brussels has repeatedly said there will be no cherry picking, they wont give us free trade like before hand but ditch the movement of people/labour/sovereignty, it would be like pulling the trigger on the EU project.

Original post by Wōden
Quite right. We should have it carved in a stone tablet instead. Something along the lines of, "No, you can't have another referendum. Suck it up and deal with it, crybabies."

Capital idea!
Although on a serious note I stand by it should be done over, not simply to see if the result will change but to give it more legitimacy [if you will] not the middling percentage point lead. For instance its rather a tradition in Europe to hold referendums repeatedly to solidify the result.
Reply 50
Original post by generallee
I have an Oxford history degree as it goes.

What is your qualification to opine about Russian history?

Mmmhmm isnt it amazing how every man and his dog on here claims to be an oxbridge graduate?

SSEES
Original post by Napp
I think you misunderstand me, I am simply of the opinion that said email seems somewhat trivial given the gravity of the situation.

Well as Brussels has repeatedly said there will be no cherry picking, they wont give us free trade like before hand but ditch the movement of people/labour/sovereignty, it would be like pulling the trigger on the EU project.

Capital idea!
Although on a serious note I stand by it should be done over, not simply to see if the result will change but to give it more legitimacy [if you will] not the middling percentage point lead. For instance its rather a tradition in Europe to hold referendums repeatedly to solidify the result.

Do you believe that the welsh Assembly should have had a second referendum right after the first?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by generallee
I have an Oxford history degree as it goes.

What is your qualification to opine about Russian history?

Well, at least he knows that the word 'serf' shouldn't be capitalised.
Reply 53
Original post by ckfeister
Don't want to be dragged into responding 50 replies on this forum like others.

And yet here you are.
Reply 54
Original post by Jammy Duel
Do you believe that the welsh Assembly should have had a second referendum right after the first?

Posted from TSR Mobile

1] They're not particularly equatable, Wales was voting for simple devolution which relatively speaking is not even close to what this vote does
2]The effects of the Welsh referendum would in all likelyhood have gone unoticed by the majority of thepublic if the vote had gone the other way whilst this vote has wiped hundreds upon hundreds of billions off of share prices, savings, pensions, investments etc. across the globe and then the long list of other ramifications.
but in Answer no; a roughly 30/60 split for yes is a clear win albeit the turnout was heinous.
Original post by an_atheist
Source?

My source is the bbc website and Mr Farage himself (see below.) as for the people being forced out I was not referring to any politician but rather your own views "if you don't like it leave."
image.jpg
My issue is the balls up since.

A clear Leave majority (I'll not get into the maths about this)
A new unelected PM
A undecided, unclear and unelected method of leaving. So we are now having these remarkable policies being aired, without so much as a clue as to whether they are deliverable.
Without free trade then the country and its manufacturing may as well pack up now. It is pretty clueless that the EU will allow more than a token restriction to free movement on the back of that.
The Norway or Swiss models have their own issues
Nobody has come up with an idea how the budgetary deficits in certain regions of the country will be made up once the EU funding ceases.

I voted leave, but the way this whole shambolic aftermath is playing out makes me want to scream. We are leaving a political nightmare, but happily gliding towards another one, that the electorate will not be able to vote upon for another 4 years, by which time it will likely be done and dusted.
However much I don't like the fact we're leaving, the Leave campaign won. If we are serious about democracy- and I certainly hope that we are- then we have to respect that decision.
Original post by Napp
1] They're not particularly equatable, Wales was voting for simple devolution which relatively speaking is not even close to what this vote does
2]The effects of the Welsh referendum would in all likelyhood have gone unoticed by the majority of thepublic if the vote had gone the other way whilst this vote has wiped hundreds upon hundreds of billions off of share prices, savings, pensions, investments etc. across the globe and then the long list of other ramifications.
but in Answer no; a roughly 30/60 split for yes is a clear win albeit the turnout was heinous.

Ummm, Wales was 50.3 49.7 on 50% turnout

So you only want reruns when you don't get your way? Considered going to China or North Korea?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The notion of having a second referendum is nonsensical. The country has voted to leave by quite a significant majority - over one million in favor of a departure. It'd be much more healthy to unite and accept the judgement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending