The Student Room Group

Anyone had a grade bumped up because it was a 'boundary grade'?

Hi, people!

I just got my exam results back for this year's summer exams. I got 69.33%. During exams, I submitted extenuating circumstances due to family + personal problems which were quite bad so I could push these circumstances forward and appeal a 'boundary grade'. I didn't expect to even get a 1st but now I'm so close, I'm wondering does anyone know how the process works i.e. remarking, moderating, to be able to deal with the boundary grade? Any past experiences? I already emailed my prof about pushing my medical note forward in this case but it's the weekend now and just wondering if anyone had knowledge of how this works? would be appreciated, thank you x
This is totally university specific. You need to look at the procedures and circumstances accepted for your university.
At my university mitigation has to be claimed at the time of the assessments and any adjustments are made then or a later sit is arranged. They would not then take those circumstances into account a second time as the adjustment is already done.
Reply 2
The boundary grade case must be specific to my uni then - thanks for replying anyway!
You get your grade at the end of your degree so it won't make a difference unless you're in final year and you have 69.33% overall
Reply 4
It does only make a small difference in terms of percentage, it's more to do with the fact that I had pretty bad circumstances during exam time and that's really the basis of the extenuating circumstances and the prof. said I could appeal if on a boundary between grade. I think that's my course of action now anyway, but thanks for replying.
Original post by aroosa2010
It does only make a small difference in terms of percentage, it's more to do with the fact that I had pretty bad circumstances during exam time and that's really the basis of the extenuating circumstances and the prof. said I could appeal if on a boundary between grade. I think that's my course of action now anyway, but thanks for replying.

This would apply to when you get graded, as of now you just have a mark, it is not a 2:1 or a 1st, just a percentage and a pass. What the professor means is if when you are about to graduate you had 69.33% overall then you would have a 2:1 but be on the boundary between a 2:1 and a 1st and so you could say that you had extenuating circumstances in second year and get it bumped up to a first.

It's not worth applying a change of percentage to results as what matters is the final grade, so there's no reason for them to increase your say second year results to 70% as it may be detrimental to your final grade compared to a decision made based upon your final percentage while also introducing more paperwork. It's a lot easier to justify "aroosa2010's getting a first because they were on the boundary and had extenuating circumstances" than "we're increasing aroosa2010's module marks by this much % because of extenuating circumstances and it's that much % because of these reasons" as there are plenty of situations where a final grade can change but only one I can think of where a percentage can.
Reply 6
Original post by Helloworld_95
This would apply to when you get graded, as of now you just have a mark, it is not a 2:1 or a 1st, just a percentage and a pass. What the professor means is if when you are about to graduate you had 69.33% overall then you would have a 2:1 but be on the boundary between a 2:1 and a 1st and so you could say that you had extenuating circumstances in second year and get it bumped up to a first.

It's not worth applying a change of percentage to results as what matters is the final grade, so there's no reason for them to increase your say second year results to 70% as it may be detrimental to your final grade compared to a decision made based upon your final percentage while also introducing more paperwork. It's a lot easier to justify "aroosa2010's getting a first because they were on the boundary and had extenuating circumstances" than "we're increasing aroosa2010's module marks by this much % because of extenuating circumstances and it's that much % because of these reasons" as there are plenty of situations where a final grade can change but only one I can think of where a percentage can.

Ohhh okay i get it now, thanks for explaining - that actually makes so much more sense. :smile:
I was on boundary and offered a resit to go up a grade

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest