The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

does not agreeing with homosexuality make me homophobic

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tanyapotter
I grew up religious too - extremely so. That's no excuse to be "understanding" of intolerance. There's nothing to understand about people disagreeing with homosexuality other than the fact that they're homophobic.

That's fine that you also grew up religious, but you and I are not the same. We are different people, you formed your own opinion as did I. I'm not over here saying that you're wrong for thinking the way that you do. It's your right, your opinion about homosexuality affects me in no way.
Btw, you have said previously that you disagree with homosexual acts, and now you've suddenly changed your tune and said that you neither agree nor disagree. I find that pretty disingenuous, but each to their own.

No, I said that I can disagree if I choose to, and if I did, it would be none of ya business
Original post by cherryred90s
That's fine that you also grew up religious, but you and I are not the same. We are different people, you formed your own opinion as did I. I'm not over here saying that you're wrong for thinking the way that you do. It's your right, your opinion about homosexuality affects me in no way.

Listen. The title of this thread was "does not agreeing with homosexuality make me homophobic". I replied that it does make you homophobic, because it is no one person's place to judge others for feelings they can't control, just like no one can control their race.

You replied saying that homosexual "behaviour" is a choice that you can disagree with without being homophobic, just like some teachings of the Q'uran can be disputed without making someone islamophobic. I went on to say that teachings of the Q'uran are consciously read and followed, and having gay sex is a natural response to a biological urge, just like eating and drinking.

Just because it deviates from your idea of the "norm" does not mean that it is any less natural, so what reason is there to disagree with it? Certainly no reason exists that can make someone seem unhomophobic. You gave a pretty vague answer about what reasons people can have about gay sex, and avoided answering it yourself, having suddenly changed your tune.

My guess is that you oppose gay sex because you think sex is only something that should occur between a man and a women. Or maybe you are simply disgusted by sodomy. Or maybe you don't like that gay people act on their urges. Or maybe you think sex should only be for reproduction. I can't know for sure, because you're not giving me an answer. But can you see how each and every single one of these reasons makes someone seem homophobic? No, you obviously can't see, because "it's just an opinion", right?
No, I said that I can disagree if I choose to, and if I did, it would be none of ya business

you most certainly can disagree if you choose to :smile:

Spoiler

Listen. The title of this thread was "does not agreeing with homosexuality make me homophobic". I replied that it does make you homophobic, because it is no one person's place to judge others for feelings they can't control, just like no one can control their race.

You replied saying that homosexual "behaviour" is a choice that you can disagree with without being homophobic, just like some teachings of the Q'uran can be disputed without making someone islamophobic. I went on to say that teachings of the Q'uran are consciously read and followed, and having gay sex is a natural response to a biological urge, just like eating and drinking.

Just because it deviates from your idea of the "norm" does not mean that it is any less natural, so what reason is there to disagree with it? Certainly no reason exists that can make someone seem unhomophobic. You gave a pretty vague answer about what reasons people can have about gay sex, and avoided answering it yourself, having suddenly changed your tune.

My guess is that you oppose gay sex because you think sex is only something that should occur between a man and a women. Or maybe you are simply disgusted by sodomy. Or maybe you don't like that gay people act on their urges. Or maybe you think sex should only be for reproduction. I can't know for sure, because you're not giving me an answer. But can you see how each and every single one of these reasons makes someone seem homophobic? No, you obviously can't see, because "it's just an opinion", right?

I'm not repeating myself anymore. As long as I'm not harming anyone or treating them differently, I can exercise my right to an opinion. Bye now
[QUOTE="tanyapotter;66329264"]you most certainly can disagree if you choose to :smile:

Spoiler

[/QUOTE
OK
I'm not repeating myself anymore. As long as I'm not harming anyone or treating them differently, I can exercise my right to an opinion. Bye now

okay! that's cool. you do you. your opinion is homophobic is all i'm saying. that's what the thread title was asking.
okay! that's cool. you do you. your opinion is homophobic is all i'm saying. that's what the thread title was asking.

I don't believe that I am homophobic, but then again, it's only your opinion and I don't care what you think of me :smile:
I don't believe that I am homophobic, but then again, it's only your opinion and I don't care what you think of me :smile:

that's totally cool, bro. you don't have to admit that you're a homophobe to me. you've proven your homophobic tendencies repeatedly already - especially by the way you addressed the LGBT community with a tone of contempt and disdain when you assumed that i'm gay just because i got "easily offended".

(honestly, if getting easily offended was the only thing that made someone come across as gay then you'd take the cake, but that's a whole other thing looool)
(edited 7 years ago)
By that reasoning, you shouldn't agree with celibacy or birth control.
that's totally cool, bro. you don't have to admit that you're a homophobe to me. you've proven your homophobic tendencies repeatedly already - especially by the way you addressed the LGBT community with a tone of contempt and disdain when you assumed that i'm gay just because i got "easily offended".

(honestly, if getting easily offended was the only thing that made someone come across as gay then you'd take the cake, but that's a whole other thing looool)

Why are you repeating yourself?
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
By that reasoning, you shouldn't agree with celibacy or birth control.

How so?
Yes, it does make you homophobic.
But, as long as you don't mistreat people and shove your opinion in their face, it's fine.

I'm part of the LGBTQ community and personally, as long as someone doesn't tell me that I should be killed or threaten to beat me up, they can have their opinions. Just don't shove your opinions on others.

Don't intentionally hurt people that are part of the LGBTQ community. Many of us have faced horrid discrimination and hate. For example, telling someone who was a victim of bullying in school, because of their sexual orientation, (55% of LGB students- source: www.stonewall.org.uk) would not appreciate it if you told them that they were the crappiest people to exit- in words that would never actually be used, let's be honest.

You are literally one of the only homophobic people that would apparently tell someone nicely. Most of them wouldn't. Many of them would physically or verbally abuse the person, depending on the situation.

Got a bit derailed there, but yes, you are homophobic if you don't agree with people being gay.
Why are you repeating yourself?

why are you homophobic? all very good questions
why are you homophobic? all very good questions

You're still repeating yourself. I'm homophobic because Tanya potter from TSR said so, lol. Of course you are right and everyone else is wrong
You're still repeating yourself. I'm homophobic because Tanya potter from TSR said so, lol. Of course you are right and everyone else is wrong

well, i'm forced to repeat myself when you don't understand..
this argument between @cherryred90s and @tanyapotter is completely ridiculous. Just stop it there is nothing more to be said , everything you wanted to say has been said numerous of times, especially by @cherryred90s
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by theBranicAc
this argument between @cherryred90s and @tanyapotter is completely ridiculous. Just stop it there is nothing more to be said , everything you wanted to say has been said numerous of times, especially by @cherryred90s

True
How so?

"i personally dont agree with homosexuality because i believe men and women were made for each other to repopulate the human race " - OP
If people are celibate, straight or not, then they are not fulfilling the destiny OP has laid out for them. Same goes for birth control in the short term, though of course a straight couple could have children while still using birth control many times.
'To repopulate the human race' - because the human race is dying out desperately in need of repopulation

Latest

Trending

Trending