The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Hey all,

I've been following all the UKCAT related threads closely and it's causing me some concer.

Pretty much completed all mocks and practice on Medify and the ISC 1000 Q.

Also took the mocks on the official site.

Medify: averaging high 600s
Official: averaging low 600s

Most of it is due to a bad VR score - I'm wondering if I really just plateaued my ability to do well on that section.

AR has been a saving grace - in general in the 700s for the most part, or at least high 600s. QR has been going every direction possible, low 600s in official practice, and 700s in Medify.

VR, however, ranged from 600 - 670.

I'm wondering if I should go for another resource for more practice: Kaplan or UKCAT Ninja - anyone have experience?
Any other input is appreciated too.

Thanks!

FYI: I'm graduate international, and with a non-science, business degree from New York University, so the UKCAT score requirements seems to be way higher than the usual 600s to be even getting an interview.
Lol well when you become a med student make sure you study from the most up to date books and not cheap 19th century ones. I think you made your point about 4 times now so it is becoming a bit repetitive. So much for not being able to read 4 times the same thing ...
Got my score today:

VR: 540 (bad surprise)
QR: 720 (good surprise)
AR: 680 (good surprise)

Average: 647

SJT: Band 3 (very disappointing- I got band 1 in all the practice tests I did)

Would this be good enough to apply for dentistry or no???

Please as I am very worried that I am not going to be accepted... thanks in advance D:
Original post by WhizzKidhehe:)
Got my score today:

VR: 540 (bad surprise)
QR: 720 (good surprise)
AR: 680 (good surprise)

Average: 647

SJT: Band 3 (very disappointing- I got band 1 in all the practice tests I did)

Would this be good enough to apply for dentistry or no???

Please as I am very worried that I am not going to be accepted... thanks in advance D:

Well done. I had a look at Manchester dentistry and they say: "
We do not operate a cut-off score for UKCAT results. It is merely one element of the assessment of the application. Gaining a low UKCAT percentile score does not mean you will be automatically rejected. Similarly, a high UKCAT percentile score does not mean you will be successful, either."

So I guess you need to research how each school treats UKCAT in case some have minimum scores.
Original post by UKCATrocks
Well done. I had a look at Manchester dentistry and they say: "
We do not operate a cut-off score for UKCAT results. It is merely one element of the assessment of the application. Gaining a low UKCAT percentile score does not mean you will be automatically rejected. Similarly, a high UKCAT percentile score does not mean you will be successful, either."

So I guess you need to research how each school treats UKCAT in case some have minimum scores.

Alright thank you so much, Manchester is one of the places I want to apply to xD
Alright then:

VR: 820
QR: 900
AR: 690
Band 2

Looks like I'm good for an interview at Warwick for graduate entry. Hopefully how well I got on with last year's cohort will count in my favour when it comes to the interview this time.
Original post by CharlieGEM
Alright then:

Band 2

Looks like I'm good for an interview at Warwick for graduate entry. Hopefully how well I got on with last year's cohort will count in my favour when it comes to the interview this time.

900 on QR?! Did you get everything right, or you know you made some mistakes?
Thanks for this.I achieved low 600s bpth timee. How many hours in total did u spend preparing? Also. What are your tips for the wordy questions in vr? Really Appreciate it..Thanks !

Original post by Whoknowswhy
Hi

I am in a way sorry to hear that it is your third time. What were your scores in previous years?

By now, you should be au fait with the structure of the exam I take it. I too revised from the 1000Q book and found it useful to go at my own pace to make sure I understood what I was doing. Particularly useful for verbal, abstract and SJ where there is no point doing timed practice before you are well versed. Depending on how long you have to work every day, that should take you about 2 to 3 weeks anyway. Then in the rest of the time, I would suggest moving to online practice. Personally I used Medify, which was pretty good. And then finish by doing timed practice on the UKCAT website. It might be an idea to do one timed practice on the UKCAT website before you start your preparation anyway, just so you can get a benchmark. Earlier I wrote a detailed account of my experience and the tips I would suggest. I have requoted it below.
Original post by CharlieGEM
Alright then:

Band 2

grats on the great score! did you get interviews last year but didn't get offers, if you dont mind me asking?
Original post by Whoknowswhy
Hi guys

I took the exam yesterday and scored
VR: 890 - AR:750 - QR: 870 - SJT -Band 1
Used the Medify online bank and the 1000Q book by ISC Medical.
Thought I would share some of my methods:

VR
The texts in the exam seem to have about 300-350 words and so you can't possibly read all of that properly in detail and answer questions as well unless you learn to read fast. When I prepared I tried both methods :

Method 1 - Read the text properly and then go to the questions, but then I found that reading the text without knowing what I was looking for was a bit of a challenge because you are never quite sure as to what you are supposed to remember. The key I think is to be able to process the information as you go through the text and in that sense it make total sense to read the questions first. See Method 2 below, which I ended up using in the end.

Method 2 - Reading the questions first gave me an idea of they type of thing I needed to look for in the text. So when I prepared and also at the exam yesterday, whenever a new text appeared I used the Next button to see all the questions for that text before pressing the Previous button to go back to the first question. That way, when I read the text I could see more quickly what sections were pretty much irrelevant and which ones mattered.

In terms of balance of questions, all texts pretty much had the same lengths and the ration of True/False v. wordy questions was about 1/3 True/False. 2/3 wordy. However I do know that one of my neighbours in the centre was complaining that he had no True/False at all, whilst the guy on the other side nearly had half of
his questions as True/False. Given that the T/F questions tend to be easier I wonder how this is all calibrated.

QR
The issue with QR is timing but I'm sure I am not telling you anything new here. And the trick is to try and avoid using the calculator unless you really have to. I know that some of the college friends end up using a calculator to compute 15x3 + 2.3 x 0 + 3x2.2, but obviously you can waste 10 seconds doing that. The calculator is pretty stable but doing it with the mouse is awkward.

Difficulty wise, I had a mix of questions. Some really easy stuff (e.g. add up two numbers from a table), but also some pretty complex stuff. The complex stuff was complex for several reasons:

(i) either it meant having to sift through long tables to find the correct information
(ii) or it meant several stages of calculation. The challenge for those is that the calculator does not allow you to store much in memory so you have to make sure you write your intermediary calcs on the whiteboard.

Some of the hard questions took me 50 seconds whilst the easier ones took maybe 10 second. In the end i finished the QR section with 2 minutes spare,

AR
AR was a real problem for me during the revision because I found it so hard at first was nearly in tears. I first did a few on the official website and got stuck for nearly 10 minutes on something that ended up being a fairly simple relationship. So what I did, instead of persevering with timed practice was to learn what I should be looking for so that I could spot it more quickly. That took a bit of time because for this one you really have to find your own way of thinking. But in the end you realise there are only so many things you need to look for e.g.:

- Absolute/Relative position of objects
- Absolute/Relative size of objects
- Number of objects/sides/angles
- Colour
- Rotations / symmetries
- Intersections

With that you cover 90% of the issues.
But nothing will prepare you for it other than practice and getting used to patterns. Don't worry if it's a struggle to start with. It does get easier.

SJT
When you prepare for SJTs (and here again practice is key) you quickly realise it's always the same. There are questions about colleagues who are bad team players, who cheat, who say inappropriate things, etc. And in the end you kinda get bored with it. In the same that the questions are always the same, the answers are also always the same. So I would say the key for good preparation is to make sure that you understand the principles behind the answers before you do any practice. In that sense there is little value in doing timed practice for SJTs until you have understood why the answer is what it is. The way I did it is go through the official UKCAT questions and the ISC 1000Q book one by one and make sure I understood why the answer was what it was. Then when I did the mock exams I got nearly 100% questions right.

DM
Don't waste your time on that; it;s just an annoying distraction.

Hope this helps

Well done! How did you prepare for the VR questions which are not T/F/CT? And how long did you spend preparing?
Original post by ronnydandam
Well done! How did you prepare for the VR questions which are not T/F/CT? And how long did you spend preparing?

there are a plenty of free statement VR practice questions in the ISC1000Q book, and even more on Medify. try to treat them the same as T/F/CT questions, in terms of quickly identifying keyword(s) and scanning the text for relevant sections. I spent 3-4 weeks on both.
hey i took the test yesterday and i was in a similar situation: average mid 600s to low 700s in ISC1000/official/Medify mocks, so very much fearing the worst (GEM applicant also). my average in the real exam was 790.

i found the VR mocks to be the most predictive (low 600s in Mocks vs 590 in real exam), to which i attribute to not perfecting my techniques in identifying when to skip a question, and ended up guessing maybe 2 or 3 sets.

QR was much easier in the real exam than in the mocks mentioned above. all my questions were short and straight forward - no wordy ones or ones that required scrolling, nor ones that required a lot of calculation steps. i got 650-750s in mocks and 890 in the real thing.

AR was similar to QR. i found both Medify and ISC1000 overprepared me for this, the actual patterns were very simple and didnt have multiple rules (i answered after spotting just one rule for most questions). 630-mid 800s in mocks, 890 in the real exam.

so basically, it appears you and i used the same resources (ISC1000 and Medify) and performed similarly in our mocks, so i think you will do fine in the real exam without having to subscribe to additional courses.
anybody knows what similar between the setsPhoto on 09-07-2016 at 13.37.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)
Could it be that Set A has an even number of shapes in each box and Set B has an odd number? (I haven't done this in a year so I'm a bit rusty on rules, sorry, so I'm not sure what you mean by similar between the sets I just remember the one where you have to fit a new one into one of the sets)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by yeah1106
anybody knows what similar between the setsPhoto on 09-07-2016 at 13.37.jpg

Yeah! They're both completely ****ing useless indicators of suitability to a medical degree. I don't go on wards and see stupid shapes and stuff.... Sigh

Dr: Patient has VHL is hypertensive with headaches and palpitations, what's up?

Med student: phaeochromocytoma?

Dr: Wow, nice problem solving skills, I'm sure it was that UKCAT test you did to enter medschool which made you solve codes and patterns which proved your suitability. Nothing to do with 3 years of medical theory, learning pathophysiology and anatomy right?

Med student: Yeah, did you not see that the patients metanephrines are like a black filled in circle and their BP is also a black filled in circle?
Original post by Hugh Laurie
there are a plenty of free statement VR practice questions in the ISC1000Q book, and even more on Medify. try to treat them the same as T/F/CT questions, in terms of quickly identifying keyword(s) and scanning the text for relevant sections. I spent 3-4 weeks on both.

thanks, how many hours a day did you do? Would 7 a day be too much? do u mean 4 weeks all together or 8
Original post by ForeverDay
Could it be that Set A has an even number of shapes in each box and Set B has an odd number? (I haven't done this in a year so I'm a bit rusty on rules, sorry, so I'm not sure what you mean by similar between the sets I just remember the one where you have to fit a new one into one of the sets)

yeah i think thats right
Original post by ronnydandam
thanks, how many hours a day did you do? Would 7 a day be too much? do u mean 4 weeks all together or 8

i think i did probably 2-3h for 2 or 3 weeks, and a bit more in the last week. it depends on how much time you have til the exam and how much material you have to go through. for me i looked at the total medify practice questions and just divided it evenly over 2 weeks, and left my last week free to do one mock per day.
i think i did probably 2-3h for 2 or 3 weeks, and a bit more in the last week. it depends on how much time you have til the exam and how much material you have to go through. for me i looked at the total medify practice questions and just divided it evenly over 2 weeks, and left my last week free to do one mock per day.

Thanks, I'll have four weeks, and I have the 1000Q ISC medical book, 1000Q Kaplan Book and medifiy, do you think doing more than 3 hours a day would hinder me
grats on the great score! did you get interviews last year but didn't get offers, if you dont mind me asking?

Just trolling using my last year's scores (bored on a nightshift), seeing as I got on so well with the majority of applicants I met last year (*sarcasm).

No intention of resitting the UKCAT or reapplying to Warwick/Southampton. If I'm having a mad moment I might use my GAMSAT score from last year to guarantee some more interviews.

Yes I got 4 interviews, 2 straight rejections and had to pull out of two as my savings plans were so far behind by this point. Southampton interview was very superficial, Warwick was more in depth but the actual scoring couldn't have been further from me as a person. They assess on six categories empathy, insight into medicine, teamwork, resilience, patient discussion and probity. Everything was good or very good (good bring the required minimum standard) except insight to medicine (satisfactory) and empathy (below satisfactory).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending