The Student Room Group

Student Finance refused application

Hi everyone.
I'll try to make this as clear as possible.
I apply for student finance for my Foundation Degree, sent all the evidence, and got refused. I called them and they said they refused me because i already was in higher education in France (self-funded) but i didn't finish it (due to financial problems) so they said that i am entitled only for 1 year, but because my degree is 2 years they refused me.
I am in panic,i got an unconditional place, and it's my dream course. I don't know what to do, the lady over the phone said she can't help me.
Is there any chance to change their decision?
Thank you.
Hi Ineijka

You have been refused full funding as you have already studied previously. We only award the duration of a course with an additional gift year. In your instance your course is 2 years so we would award 2+ 1 gift year = 3. Then minus any years previously studied leaving you 1 only for the second year.

If you had any compelling personal reasons that made you unable to complete the course, you can appeal this. You would need to send us a cover letter to explain the situation and provide evidence of this.

Thanks
Reply 2
[QUOTE=Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser;66320146]Hi Ineijka

You have been refused full funding as you have already studied previously. We only award the duration of a course with an additional gift year. In your instance your course is 2 years so we would award 2+ 1 gift year = 3. Then minus any years previously studied leaving you 1 only for the second year.

If you had any compelling personal reasons that made you unable to complete the course, you can appeal this. You would need to send us a cover letter to explain the situation and provide evidence of this.

Thanks

My reasons were based when financial problems, my parents being divorced and unable to help me any further to pay for my maintenance. What evidence could i bring to prove this fact?
Reply 3
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hi Ineijka
leaving you 1 only for the second year.

Also did i get this right? So i'm still entitled for 1 year. That means if i pay for myself this year, the next one i'll be able to get a loan?

Thank you very much for your help.
Original post by Ineijka
Also did i get this right? So i'm still entitled for 1 year. That means if i pay for myself this year, the next one i'll be able to get a loan?

Thank you very much for your help.

No. It's based on the course length. Not the amount of years student finance have funded you.
Reply 5
Original post by Tiger Rag
No. It's based on the course length. Not the amount of years student finance have funded you.

Student finance never funded me. I was studying in France. Thats's why i am confused. I have to do a foundation degree now which is 2 years then a top up BA(hons).
Original post by Ineijka
Student finance never funded me. I was studying in France. Thats's why i am confused. I have to do a foundation degree now which is 2 years then a top up BA(hons).

It doesn't matter who funded it. All they care about is how many years funding you've had.
Reply 7
It doesn't matter who funded it. All they care about is how many years funding you've had.

You confuse me even more))) no one funded me. At all. I payed myself for my studies.
Original post by Ineijka
You confuse me even more))) no one funded me. At all. I payed myself for my studies.

That makes no difference at all. All they care about is how many years you've been at uni. Don't understand what's so difficult to understand about that?
Reply 9
[QUOTE=Tiger Rag;66332552]That makes no difference at all. All they care about is how many years you've been at uni. Don't understand what's so difficult to understand about that?One message up u said all they care is how ma y years you've been funded, now how many years i've been at uni. It's 2 different things for me.
Reply 10

I've just got a letter from student finance, and i did get it right. I will be entitled to a fee loan when i progress intro year 2 of my course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending