The Student Room Group

Still angry at myself for not getting A* :(

This is going to sound really pathetic, but this has been bothering me for well over a year now. For A Levels I had gotten full marks in every single exam for one subject & was definitely set for an A*, but I ****ed up one question in the last exam. I just panicked out of nowhere, I wasn't thinking straight and picked a stupid question to answer. I don't know what I was thinking and I have no idea why it happened. I ended up only getting an A overall after my stupid mistake. But for some reason, I can't stop beating myself over it. It stays haunting me in my mind often.

I know I sound like some insane and ungrateful spoiled brat right now but I've always been hard on myself. I've been so angry at myself for it for over a year now, even to the extent that I've struggled to sleep some nights or have woken up with tears of frustration in my eyes. I simply can't forgive myself for that one stupid mistake.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can stop hating myself for this and how to get over it? I'm not sure if my reaction because of the school I went to or just my long-term nature of letting myself down being unbearable for me. Please help. Thanks x
Reply 1
xx
you'll look back in a few years time and realise that it didn't matter how you ended up where you are.
Original post by Anonymous
This is going to sound really pathetic, but this has been bothering me for well over a year now. For A Levels I had gotten full marks in every single exam for one subject & was definitely set for an A*, but I ****ed up one question in the last exam. I just panicked out of nowhere, I wasn't thinking straight and picked a stupid question to answer. I don't know what I was thinking and I have no idea why it happened. I ended up only getting an A overall after my stupid mistake. But for some reason, I can't stop beating myself over it. It stays haunting me in my mind often.

I know I sound like some insane and ungrateful spoiled brat right now but I've always been hard on myself. I've been so angry at myself for it for over a year now, even to the extent that I've struggled to sleep some nights or have woken up with tears of frustration in my eyes. I simply can't forgive myself for that one stupid mistake.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can stop hating myself for this and how to get over it? I'm not sure if my reaction because of the school I went to or just my long-term nature of letting myself down being unbearable for me. Please help. Thanks x

It does sound pathetic.

Realise that the only thing that matters is your last set of results.

Most universities don't care what GCSE's you got. Employers don't care what A-levels you have, if you have a degree. If you have a PHD, no one cares about your bachelors degree.

These things don't mean anything to anyone, they're just stepping stones in the real world. As long as you make it to the next stage, you're golden.

Congratulations on excellent results. Be proud.
:smile: x
(edited 7 years ago)
We all make mistakes at some point in our lives, so don't worry.In ten years time you will forget about it because you will be excelling in that subject (if you decide to base your career on it).When you have interviews with employers and universities they will be able to see that you are a charming person and they will be able to see that you are diligent and hard-working.Don't worry, everything will be okay x
Attachment not found
Original post by Anonymous

I can relate. I sat my A2s this year and I was predicted A*s in every subject. I don't have my results yet but I know for a fact that I messed up big time in two of my subjects by misreading the title of an essay question in each. I was really upset with myself for a few weeks but you know what? That's life. Sh*t happens, you get unlucky but you learn from your mistakes. I read a self help book called 'mindset' which explains the two reactions we can have to failure and how you can stop it from having such a negative impact on your life. This diagram summarises the general idea behind it:

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Supersaps
It does sound pathetic.

Realise that the only thing that matters is your last set of results.

Most universities don't care what GCSE's you got. Employers don't care what A-levels you have, if you have a degree. If you have a PHD, no one cares about your bachelors degree.

These things don't mean anything to anyone, they're just stepping stones in the real world. As long as you make it to the next stage, you're golden.

Congratulations on excellent results. Be proud.

so if all these qulfactions don't matter what the point in doing the,
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by theBranicAc
so if all these qulfactions don't matter what the point in doing the,

Because it's a stepping stone to the next bit.

You still need them to cross the pond. But as long as you cross the pond, no one cares what the stones look like.
Original post by Supersaps
Because it's a stepping stone to the next bit.

You still need them to cross the pond. But as long as you cross the pond, no one cares what the stones look like.

so you may only do the qulafication which is important instead of going through all the unneccesary ones?
I totally relate so I won't be able to give you advice, I'm sorry
Original post by theBranicAc
so you may only do the qulafication which is important instead of going through all the unneccesary ones?

If you can get into a decent uni with just GCSE's, sure. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending