The Student Room Group

Most reliable car for a young driver

Hi all,

I am currently driving a 1993 Peugeot 106, however I am finding that is is becoming more and more costly to run, with things going wrong with it almost every week at this point.

Therefore, I am looking to purchase a newer car and wondered what other users experiences are of cars. I am a young driver, so anything with a smaller engine would be preferred.
Reply 1
Ford Fiesta I would have imagined is a good car for a student?
Depends on your budget, however when it comes to reliability Japanese cars are tops.
Original post by Bocicowo
Hi all,

I am currently driving a 1993 Peugeot 106, however I am finding that is is becoming more and more costly to run, with things going wrong with it almost every week at this point.

Therefore, I am looking to purchase a newer car and wondered what other users experiences are of cars. I am a young driver, so anything with a smaller engine would be preferred.

Honda Civic? Toyota Yaris?
Original post by lukeds
Ford Fiesta I would have imagined is a good car for a student?

ford fiestas are huge- not good for a new driver!

I'd go with something small with a 1 litre engine *like a Toyota aygo/Yaris, Citroen c1, Peugeot 103 or ford Ka. Very cheap to run and insure and less road tax.*
Reply 5
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88

I'd go with something small with a 1 litre engine *like a Toyota aygo/Yaris, Citroen c1, Peugeot 103 or ford Ka. Very cheap to run and insure and less road tax.*

can be good for a new driver if they need some space.

polo/fabia/seat ibiza with the 3 pot 1.2 60ps is easy on insurance and fairly decent - can be had for under 5 grand

alternatively start looking at pcp deals and see if you can justify the monthlies on a new car
Original post by Bocicowo
Hi all,

Id go for something like a nissan micra, kia picanto, hyundai getz, hyundai i10, suzuki swift, suzuki alto etc etc. All are reliable cars and you can get them in a variety of ages and budgets.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88

Ford fiestas arent that big.
Original post by Emma:-)
Ford fiestas arent that big.

no maybe they just seem big compared to my little aygo but I'd rather go smaller for a first car as you can get through gaps and park much more easily*
I second the Fiesta idea. I have one myself and it is very fun to drive, very economical and refined. Just got back from a 200 mile drive feeling fresh as a daisy.

I have never had a problem with the size of the Fiesta and I live in a small tight town in Scotand!

Avoid 1.0 litre engines except the Ford Ecoboost and the new VAG 1.0 turbo, most of the time they are slow, noisy and boring, spend less on the car and more on the insurance. An older 1.2-1.6 will be a much better car than a newer 1.0.
Corsa, Ibiza, Fiesta, Fabia, Mini, Clio. They're all good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending