The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Amir's form looks ominous - it's fortunate for him in some way that the lost years were when he was 17 rather than 25 at his peak but he's bowling lovely. He's increased Pakistan's chances of performing admirably during the series but ultimately, see England's all-round class being enough. Yasir Shah, I'm intrigued to see how he does on these conditions. Pakistan struggle batting wise on these conditions so Misbah/Younus are the key.
Amir performance makes me wish butt was tried for treason.

I'm fearly for hales middle stump.
Amir bowling will be good to watch, along with Yasir Shah, Imran Khan/Sohail Khan, Zulfiqar Babar, Wahab Riaz etc, our bowling line up looks pretty strong.
A lot of people saying batting is weak but I disagree, Pakistan batting has been good in Tests mainly thanks to Younis Khan and Misbah. However, Azhar Ali, Asad Shafiq, Hafeez, Sarfraz (even Shehzad) have stepped up when required. English conditions will be more testing, especially against the likes of Anderson and Broad- however expect them to show some fight. All in all, looks like a mouthwatering contest is set up for us- all the best Amir and team Pak!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tazza ma razza
Man Amir's swing today was awesome - I actually want him to wreck the England top order - he is soo good to watch :smile:*

Is it being broadcast somewhere?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Enginerd.
Is it being broadcast somewhere?

Posted from TSR Mobile

nah espncricinfo for highlights
Original post by tazza ma razza
nah espncricinfo for highlights

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's your heartbreaking moment watching - or even playing - cricket? This piece lists some by cricket writers especially reflecting on the spot-fixing scandal in 2010.

Personally, Pakistan's defeat to India in the T20 final thanks to Misbah's ill-judged scoop shot hurt badly. Especially as it seemed the game had gone from Pakistan's reach and Sohail Tanvir's lusty blows and Misbah's adroit skills getting them close, it was more so devastating holing out to lose in that way. Pakistan losing to India in ICC events is the norm unfortunately but that is more anger than heartbreaking.
Original post by Aky786UK
What's your heartbreaking moment watching - or even playing - cricket? This piece lists some by cricket writers especially reflecting on the spot-fixing scandal in 2010.

Personally, Pakistan's defeat to India in the T20 final thanks to Misbah's ill-judged scoop shot hurt badly. Especially as it seemed the game had gone from Pakistan's reach and Sohail Tanvir's lusty blows and Misbah's adroit skills getting them close, it was more so devastating holing out to lose in that way. Pakistan losing to India in ICC events is the norm unfortunately but that is more anger than heartbreaking.

I was bowling against this guy who batted for Gloustershire seconds at the time and had played international cricket at youth level; managed to get him to feather one to the keeper who dropped the simplest of catches. The guy went to score 150 in twenty overs.

I was a bang average, slow paced bowler who could swing the ball, a Sunday league equivalent of if Anderson crossed Collingwood.
Reply 1268
Sri Lanka finish a miserable tour with two solitary wins - both against minnows Ireland. It has been very uncompetitive, an absolute rout in truth, and largely forgettable.

Still, England finished in style today - managing to overcome SL after the game (briefly) promised to be competitive when Roy and Vince were both dismissed cheaply.

In truth, the latter's dismissal was pretty odd and will unlikely happen nine times out of 10, while Roy's thinking behind playing that ramp shot was completely justified - it's just the execution let it down.

It was quite a low-key end to the series, played out in glorious sunshine. It was awesome to see Dawson selected, and he was my man of the match. Sure, Buttler's 73 was massively impressive - and he slid into the opening slot magnificently, perhaps unsurprisingly, given his fearlessness and self-belief - but Dawson strangled SL's batsmen and was unlucky to finish with just three wickets.

His caught and bowled dismissal showed his quick reflexes, while that delivery which went through the gate showed he can turn his arm as well as anybody. Mills took a great catch - but Plunkett was the pick of the seamers.

Morgan will be delighted to finish unbeaten, despite failing to hit a half-century AGAIN, and that'll give him confidence.

His team have been brilliant throughout this white-ball series, showing their growth in limited overs cricket, with great batting depth and plenty of death bowling options, plus excellent fielding (Vince getting that run out today was just brilliant quick thinking and accuracy).*
England side to face Pakistan:

Cook, Hales, Root, Vince, Ballance, Bairstow, Ali, Woakes, Broad, Finn, Ball/Roland-Jones

Not on board with the Ballance selection. The Ballance who was dropped from England had technical flaws that meant he kept getting out to top class pace bowling, and I'm not aware of any major technical changes to his game. Pakistan have an excellent attack so I'm worried. Hope to be proven wrong of course. 5 is a better position for him than 3 I guess.

Always enjoy watching a new seamer!
Reply 1270
Ballance has scored his runs at the right time. He had a good performance last time out, in front of Strauss and Whitaker, who were both watching on from the crowd.

Regardless, I think it's an odd decision - especially when so much was being made of Borthwick.

Ballance's technical flaws are over-egged in my view, but he has hardly been tearing up trees at county level. What he does bring is 15 Tests worth of experience, and the England boys know him as a character, so he won't upset the apple cart and England may feel he's one less person to bed in, while giving Ball/Roland Jones their first taste of the international scene.

Root will be moved up to three, it has been confirmed. I hope he thrives there.

The big dilemma is whether they deploy Ball, who the selectors overtly prefer, or Roland Jones, who has the benefit of knowing the ground like nobody else in the set up.
Original post by Mackay
Ballance has scored his runs at the right time. He had a good performance last time out, in front of Strauss and Whitaker, who were both watching on from the crowd.

Regardless, I think it's an odd decision - especially when so much was being made of Borthwick.

Ballance's technical flaws are over-egged in my view, but he has hardly been tearing up trees at county level. What he does bring is 15 Tests worth of experience, and the England boys know him as a character, so he won't upset the apple cart and England may feel he's one less person to bed in, while giving Ball/Roland Jones their first taste of the international scene.

Root will be moved up to three, it has been confirmed. I hope he thrives there.

The big dilemma is whether they deploy Ball, who the selectors overtly prefer, or Roland Jones, who has the benefit of knowing the ground like nobody else in the set up.

Not a fan of this constant moving around of Root. He scores so many more runs at 4 and 5. There's nothing wrong with having your best player but a little down the order, see De Villiers, Kallis, Tendulkar etc. He should bat at 4, in my opinion.
Reply 1272
Original post by The Wavefunction
Not a fan of this constant moving around of Root. He scores so many more runs at 4 and 5. There's nothing wrong with having your best player but a little down the order, see De Villiers, Kallis, Tendulkar etc. He should bat at 4, in my opinion.

I agree. It certainly seems a case of chopping and changing for the sake of it. Of course, the traditional thinking is that your best batsman comes in at 3 - and we've seen that in the case of Australia and India over the past 12 months.

England is a little different, with selectors and traditionalists thinking your best batsman probably needs protecting from the new, swinging ball. So they tend to deploy them a little further down the order.

Root can thrive anywhere. I just hope the change doesn't get to him mentally.*
Reply 1273
Jeez. Plenty of problems for England.*

Gary Ballance's Test return is in doubt because of a groin injury which caused him to miss Yorkshire's NatWest T20 Blast tie in Derby today. He'll be "closely monitored" apparently, while Buttler has picked up a thumb injury, making it absolutely vital Bairstow stays fit over the next month or so.
All time test 11 (inspired by lords YouTube channel)

Cook
Sehwag
Sangakarra
Dravid
Lara
Kallis
Dhoni (c + wk)
Akram
McGrath
Muralitharan
Waqar Younus

12th man - ABD or tendulkar
If Gilchrist isn't your keeper you're doing it wrong
Reply 1276
Glad Akram gets a nod. My favourite bowler as a youngster.**
Dhoni as captain? You sure? Definately in limited overs but not tests.

Posted from TSR Mobile
And no Bradman??? Any all-time list without Bradman is just wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
No Bradman, no Tendulkar

U wot

Quick Reply

Latest