The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cBay
I actually think it's disgraceful that Sakho was charged with taking something that wasn't even banned. If they don't know what is banned or not, how the **** are the players supposed to know? Prevented from playing in the EL Final and the Euros all for nothing.

On another note, I guess that will give the green light for Skrtel to move on.

Yea it's a bit crazy that he effectively got punished and for what?

Ah well, Kolo had a good run at the end of the season and no guarantee that Sakho would've been much better for us. Other reasons why we didn't win frankly.

Glad that the Sakho situation has been resolved now. That's 3 CBs now sorted for next season and then we just need to decide who is our 4th choice option for cover.
Balotelli is gone, then. Happy days.
Lovren really showed us something at the end of last season
Saw some brief highlights - and Ings looked hungry and raring to go. He probably just loves being back on the grass with teammates, to be honest, but it bodes well.*

Didn't realise Tranmere had that fat McNulty lad these days.*
Original post by Mackay
Balotelli is gone, then. Happy days.

On the basis that he wasn't included in the pre-season match?

I guess we've either got to sell, loan or terminate his contract?
Reply 8445
Original post by So Instinct
Or till he expires :lol:

You listen to my man bas.
I know people will be giving the plaudits to Alexander-Arnold and Ings, however I think it's worth mentioning just how impressive Ejaria and Kent looked in the match yesterday.

Yes it was only a friendly against Tranmere, however both looked exceptional on the ball and not short of confidence. Ejaria is huge but his control is excellent. Very good signs.
How did our new signings fare in yesterday's friendly?
Original post by Zerforax
On the basis that he wasn't included in the pre-season match?

I guess we've either got to sell, loan or terminate his contract?

Yep.

Paul Joyce: "Despite interest from Fenerbahce and Sampdoria, Liverpool could be forced to send Balotelli back out on loan or come to some agreement with him that would terminate his contract."
Original post by bammy jastard 27
You listen to my man bas.

Listened to that just the other day. Bas is a real one.
Original post by Hugs31
How did our new signings fare in yesterday's friendly?

Hard to judge really, they only got 45 minutes and were barely tested against Tranmere.

Karius looks confident and appears to be relishing the opportunity to challenge Mignolet, however barely had to do a thing so can't say much there.

Matip again had to do little but it's clear he's comfortable on the ball which is a good sign. With Sakho cleared and Lovren looking solid, we have some really good CB options next season.

Mané's blistering pace was obvious from the get go. I think the big thing he'll add is the fact that he loves to get in behind the defence. With players like Coutinho being able to thread a pass through, we might be able to score a different type of goal than we're used to.
Original post by Lúcio
Hard to judge really, they only got 45 minutes and were barely tested against Tranmere.

Karius looks confident and appears to be relishing the opportunity to challenge Mignolet, however barely had to do a thing so can't say much there.

Matip again had to do little but it's clear he's comfortable on the ball which is a good sign. With Sakho cleared and Lovren looking solid, we have some really good CB options next season.

Mané's blistering pace was obvious from the get go. I think the big thing he'll add is the fact that he loves to get in behind the defence. With players like Coutinho being able to thread a pass through, we might be able to score a different type of goal than we're used to.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Mané does for us, it got frustrating when we played three no 10s at once because no one was looking to go beyond the ball, they all wanted to be the one passing it, which can make it easier to defend in my view. Sadio will give us something different in attack.
Good to see Alexander-Arnold and Woodburn get game time as well.
Most pleasing aspect of Karius' performance was his footwork for me. Confident on the deck, he moved the ball and shifted it quickly, linking the play with the centre-backs pretty straightforwardly.*
Original post by Mackay
Most pleasing aspect of Karius' performance was his footwork for me. Confident on the deck, he moved the ball and shifted it quickly, linking the play with the centre-backs pretty straightforwardly.*

That's the key for me - we'll have a defence that can start an attack from the back.
Everybody is confident on the ball and give Sakho enough time and he can shoot a ball forward for Sturridge/Mané to get in behind.

How do you think ours CB's are gonna go? If Matip turned out to be great, would he replace Sakho or Lovren?
Original post by Lúcio
That's the key for me - we'll have a defence that can start an attack from the back.
Everybody is confident on the ball and give Sakho enough time and he can shoot a ball forward for Sturridge/Mané to get in behind.

How do you think ours CB's are gonna go? If Matip turned out to be great, would he replace Sakho or Lovren?

The way he was deployed at Tranmere, you'd suggest it would be Matip on the right-hand side of the central defensive partnership, with Sakho on the left, where he's more comfortable.
Original post by Mackay
The way he was deployed at Tranmere, you'd suggest it would be Matip on the right-hand side of the central defensive partnership, with Sakho on the left, where he's more comfortable.

That'd be a shame for Lovren because he's been excellent since Klopp took over. That being said, I think it's clear that Sakho is our first choice.
I can definitely see him as our next captain because Henderson just isn't gonna cut it.

I'm extremely happy with a preference order of Sakho, Matip, Lovren and Gomez (if we'd play him CB) going in to next season.
Sounds like Benteke move should happen in the next week or so after it is being reported that Benteke has agreed personal terms with Crystal Palace.
Skrtel will be in Istanbul tomorrow for talks with Fenerbahnce
Original post by Zerforax
Sounds like Benteke move should happen in the next week or so after it is being reported that Benteke has agreed personal terms with Crystal Palace.

Original post by mr tim
Skrtel will be in Istanbul tomorrow for talks with Fenerbahnce

Sale! Sale! EVERYTHING MUST GO.
Original post by Mackay
Sale! Sale! EVERYTHING MUST GO.

Haha it is a bit like that. Tbh we've ended up with a bloated first team squad and then a number of youngsters who won't make it either.

Surely over a dozen players will leave this summer?

Latest