The Student Room Group

Girlfriend of black man shot by police: "All Lives Matter".

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tanyapotter
Citations needed. And am I saying that the killing of white people is not a problem in America? No.

Do you know more white people were killed last year (50%) than black people (25%)?

Source: https://www.themarshallproject.org/2016/02/08/black-and-unarmed-behind-the-numbers#.tRfWudb4F

Do you know black people make up 13% of the population yet they're responsible for over 50% of all murders?

Source: https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014/tables/expanded-homicide-data/expanded_homicide_data_table_6_murder_race_and_sex_of_vicitm_by_race_and_sex_of_offender_2014.xls

Do you know of all intentional homicides last year of black people over 92% were committed by fellow black citizens, as oppose to 2.5% by police officers?

Source: http://www.politifact.com/florida/article/2015/may/21/updated-look-statistics-black-black-murders/

Do you know that a black police officer is 3.3 times more likely to use deadly force than a white police officer?

Source: https://crim.sas.upenn.edu/system/files/2015-10.0_Ridgeway_PoliceShooting.pdf

Do you know the police officer who shot Philando Castile was an Asian and not white?

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/07/fatal-shooting-of-black-man-by-police-during-traffic-stop-in-min/

Do you know that blacks are less likely to die from police force than whites and Hispanics at a ratio of 3:1?

Do you know that a police officer is 2.5 times more likely to die from a black man than a black man is from a police officer?

Source: http://www.dailywire.com/news/7264/5-statistics-you-need-know-about-cops-killing-aaron-bandler

Do you know that black Americans - 30 million people - killed more white people last year than white Americans - 192 million people - killed black people?

Source: https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014/tables/expanded-homicide-data/expanded_homicide_data_table_6_murder_race_and_sex_of_vicitm_by_race_and_sex_of_offender_2014.xls

Explain to me, because you are obviously the epitome of the emotional left, where I'm asking the left to shut up and submit? If I didn't have any independent thought then I wouldn't go out of my way to dispel the misinformed narrative that black people are being treat unjustly in the US. You're the person who's blind to the facts, and if all you are going to do is reply to me with an empty statement with no evidence or data, then refrain from the personal insults because yesterday you called me "sick and disgusting", and now you're doing your best to have another pop.
Original post by KingBradly
No it isn't. You're calling me far-right to try and discredit me. Anyone who has read through this thread will have seen my top comment and after reading it your accusation of me bring "far-right" will just seem feeble.

I mean, at least you agree that being far-right is a discredit to one's character. But okay.
Original post by jake4198
Do you know more white people were killed last year (50%) than black people (25%)?

Source: https://www.themarshallproject.org/2016/02/08/black-and-unarmed-behind-the-numbers#.tRfWudb4F

Do you know black people make up 13% of the population yet they're responsible for over 50% of all murders?

Do you know of all intentional homicides last year of black people over 92% were committed by fellow black citizens, as oppose to 2.5% by police officers?

Source: http://www.politifact.com/florida/article/2015/may/21/updated-look-statistics-black-black-murders/

Do you know that a black police officer is 3.3 times more likely to use deadly force than a white police officer?

Source: https://crim.sas.upenn.edu/system/files/2015-10.0_Ridgeway_PoliceShooting.pdf

Do you know the police officer who shot Philando Castile was an Asian and not white?

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/07/fatal-shooting-of-black-man-by-police-during-traffic-stop-in-min/

Do you know that blacks are less likely to die from police force than whites and Hispanics at a ratio of 3:1?

Do you know that a police officer is 2.5 times more likely to die from a black man than a black man is from a police officer?

Source: http://www.dailywire.com/news/7264/5-statistics-you-need-know-about-cops-killing-aaron-bandler

Do you know that black Americans - 30 million people - killed more white people last year than white Americans - 192 million people - killed black people?

Explain to me, because you are obviously the epitome of the emotional left, where I'm asking the left to shut up and submit? If I didn't have any independent thought then I wouldn't go out of my way to dispel the misinformed narrative that black people are being treat unjustly in the US. You're the person who's blind to the facts, and if all you are going to do is reply to me with an empty statement with no evidence or data, then refrain from the personal insults because yesterday you called me "sick and disgusting", and now you're doing your best to have another pop.

When police brutality meets racism in full force on a regular basis in America, where is the misinformed narrative about black people being treated unjustly by the judical system? Do you think the killing of unarmed black men by white cops is just? At least KingBradley admits that there is perhaps a racial problem amongst some police forces and I'm pretty sure he's more right-wing than you are. You're flat out ignoring it. And your comments are also ill-timed and confrontational, to a community that is suffering so much of late.
It's all about how you portray it.

A lot of people who say all lives matter, say it in a patronising way and refuse to accept the struggle some black people are facing. That's why it can be perceived as racist. (As well as turning into a black vs white matter, instead of an issue with the police force).
(edited 7 years ago)
I mean, at least you agree that being far-right is a discredit to one's character. But okay.

I'm not actually particularly interested in ad-hominem stuff, but I know people such as yourself value labels and allegiances above cogent arguments.
When police brutality meets racism in full force on a regular basis in America, where is the misinformed narrative about black people being treated unjustly by the judical system? Do you think the killing of unarmed black men by white cops is just? At least KingBradley admits that there is perhaps a racial problem amongst some police forces and I'm pretty sure he's more right-wing than you are. You're flat out ignoring it. And your comments are also ill-timed and confrontational, to a community that is suffering so much of late.

How many times do I have to tell you not to imply that I believe this or that when you have no evidence to suggest it? Where did I say that I don't believe racism is to play? Where did I say that the unarmed killing of black men is just? Please explain to me where I implied any of the aforementioned and then maybe I can give you an answer.

Is there overt racism in the police system in America? Of course there is. In cases where a black man is shot by a police officer, of any race, then we can only assume that closet-racism was to blame because there's no excuse for overly excessive force. I didn't disagree with that. My main argument, however, was to put the whole situation into context and to dispel the narrative that this epidemic of police brutality in the US is exclusive to one group of people. Black people, on average, commit more crimes than any other demographic in the US so naturally there is going to be more police involvement with that particular group, but admittedly, unarmed black men are more likely to be killed than unarmed whites and Hispanics and of course that's a serious and inexcusable problem.

On the issue of mistiming my post, facts don't care about people's feelings. This isn't a post in solidarity of the BLM movement and therefore I'm under no divine obligation to appease people to whom the movement is important. If we can't have a rational conversation about facts, evidence for which I provided, then how on earth are we meant to solve the problem? I want to solve the problem, not fancy about the edges submitting myself to political correctness because it suffices the popular narrative and leftist propaganda.
(edited 7 years ago)

I'm honestly fascinated by why you're pigeonholing me as fairly right-wing. I just find it really funny how poorly people like you can comprehend political views which aren't completely predictable.
I'm not actually particularly interested in ad-hominem stuff, but I know people such as yourself value labels and allegiances above cogent arguments.

Nah
I'm honestly fascinated by why you're pigeonholing me as fairly right-wing. I just find it really funny how poorly people like you can comprehend political views which aren't completely predictable.

poorly means ill
The Black Lives Matter movement has been devalued because it doesn't comply with fact or statistics, not to mention the overt racism that is spewed from its leading members. A white person is more likely to be killed by a police officer in the US, and a white person is more likely to die from the use of police force than a black person by a ratio of 3:1. Even though black Americans make up 13% of the population, they're responsible for over 27% of all crime and 52% of all intentional homicides. Even more pertinent, only 2.5% of all killings of black people last year was because of police force, as oppose to 92% of all killings of black people that was committed by fellow blacks. Even though there's only 30 million black people in the US, they killed over 350 white people; even though there's 192 million white people, they killed under 200 black people. The point I'm making is that we have to accept the whole picture otherwise it's no wonder people aren't getting on-board the BLM movement. Of course sociological and economical factors are to play for the aforementioned, but if that's so let's talk about them as oppose to having useless protests and blaming every obstacle on institutional racism.

If you want to "accept the whole picture" then compare the stats that you have just cited with the percentage of Whites in America with the percentage of Blacks. The number of Blacks killed by the police is still disproportionately high. Not to mention that the cases which provoked protests by the BLM movement all involved unarmed Blacks being killed, as opposed to a case of self-defence.

I wasn't talking about the movement, I was talking about the lives of Blacks (and pretty much all non-Whites) being devalued. If you can bring me a case of a law abiding White man being shot dead simply for reaching for his licence or the equivalent, I would say that it's just as bad.

The police in other countries manage to do their jobs without killing hundreds every year. This includes countries with much lower crime rates than America. My African American friends (who are all educated and law abiding citizens) get nervous around the police. I myself would feel very worried for my brothers if I lived there.
(edited 7 years ago)
How many times do I have to tell you not to imply that I believe this or that when you have no evidence to suggest it? Where did I say that I don't believe racism is to play? Where did I say that the unarmed killing of black men is just? Please explain to me where I implied any of the aforementioned and then maybe I can give you an answer.

Is there overt racism in the police system in America? Of course there is. In cases where a black man is shot by a police officer, of any race, then we can only assume that closet-racism was to blame because there's no excuse for overly excessive force. I didn't disagree with that. My main argument, however, was to put the whole situation into context and to dispel the narrative that this epidemic of police brutality in the US is exclusive to one group of people. Black people, on average, commit more crimes than any other demographic in the US so naturally there is going to be more police involvement with that particular group, but admittedly, unarmed black men are more likely to be killed than unarmed whites and Hispanics and of course that's a serious and inexcusable problem.

On the issue of mistiming my post, facts don't care about people's feelings. This isn't a post in solidarity of the BLM movement and therefore I'm under no divine obligation to appease people to whom the movement is important. If we can't have a rational conversation about facts, evidence for which I provided, then how on earth are we meant to solve the problem? I want to solve the problem, not fancy about the edges submitting myself to political correctness because it suffices the popular narrative and leftist propaganda.

How do you propose we solved the problem? Because all you seem to be doing is attacking and the BLM movement. Do you want to silence it? What would you do after it were silenced for having a misinformed narrative?
poorly means ill

:congrats:
Original post by WBZ144
If you want to "accept the whole picture" then compare the stats that you have just cited with the percentage of Whites in America with the percentage of Blacks. The number of Blacks killed by the police is still disproportionately high. Not to mention that the cases which provoked protests by the BLM movement all involved unarmed Blacks being killed, as opposed to a case of self-defence.

I wasn't talking about the movement, I was talking about the lives of Blacks (and pretty much all non-Whites) being devalued. If you can bring me a case of a law abiding White man being shot dead simply for reaching for his licence or the equivalent, I would say that it's just as bad.

The police in other countries manage to do their jobs without killing hundreds every year. This includes countries with much lower crime rates than America. My African American friends (who are all educated and law abiding citizens) get nervous around the police. I myself would feel very worried for my brothers if I lived there.

It's disproportionally high because black people commit a disproportional amount of violence. As I said, black people committed more than 50% of all murders in the US last year even though they represent just 13% of the population. Black on black violence is also almost 37 times more likely to lead the death of another black man than police force, evidence for which I provided in an earlier post. If we're going to talk about proportionality, more than 50% of all police homicides last year were of white people and they account for 54% of the total crime. In contrast, 25% of black people were killed in all police shootings last year and they represent 28% of the crime - explain to me where the injustice exists?

I'm not denying that there's a problem with police brutality in the US, especially in cases of overt racism which is pertinent in many cases involving the death of black men, but we shouldn't pretend that this is epidemic is exclusive to one group of people. I hate racism as much as you do, but blindness to reality is so dangerous and how are we going to solve the problem if we can't even accept the reality of what's happening? Black crime is a problem because of low socioeconomic attainment, poor educational attainment and single-parenthood in the black community. We should be talking about the aforementioned and not have pointless protests which do nothing but aggravate racial disharmony and divide.
:congrats:

My health is better than ever
How do you propose we solved the problem? Because all you seem to be doing is attacking and the BLM movement. Do you want to silence it? What would you do after it were silenced for having a misinformed narrative?

In the US, if you want to live a prosperous life you have to do three things:

- Don't have a child before you're married
- Don't drop out of high school.
- Stay in work.

Source: http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ba428

The reason that African Americans are so poor, on average, in the US in because of the exclusion of many of the aforementioned. The single-motherhood rate in the black community is 72% as oppose to 25% of the total population, which means young lads don't have a father figure to keep then in check and ensure they're doing well in school, hence why dropout rates among African Americans is 32% as oppose to 8% for whites and Hispanics.

If we want to solve the problem, maybe we should address the genuine problems in American society such as the causes of poverty which is why crime and violence in the black community is so high.

Source: http://newsone.com/1195075/children-single-parents-u-s-american/
Source: https://www.dosomething.org/us/facts/11-facts-about-high-school-dropout-rates
(edited 7 years ago)
Black people are around twice as likely to be killed by police, but when you account for their higher crime rate, it pretty much evens out. The only reason we think the police target blacks particularly is because this is the narrative the media is trying to create. Far, far more whites are killed by police so they could easily fill the news with stories about those deaths.

Of course these are only statistics, I don't what it's like down on the ground. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a problem with racism towards blacks in some police forces. But nonetheless, the problem here is really about police brutality. The Dallas police shootings seemed fairly inevitable to me. That's what happens when you have a ruling authoritative force that acts like a self-serving gang, people will rebel, and they'll rebel the more they get attacked.

Clearly the answer is to heighten gun control to the point where only high ranking officers need to wear guns to protect themselves. American society has a kind of hysterical gun culture, which breeds fear, tension and a tendency towards being trigger happy. That's what needs to be addressed.

Can't rep damn :frown:
You know what aggravates race relations? White cops killing unarmed black men and being revered for it.

Lmao, why is this so difficult to understand. Instead people would rather argue "Cop shouldn't be punished at all. Black people commit crime all the time - it was only a matter of time before the black man was about to commit one anyway!"

Rather than address the fact that apparently walking down the street is enough of a reason to get you shot in the back, people would rather pull up statistics to prove that it's completely justified.

1) Using total numbers of white vs black statistics when it suits you

2) Using a percentage ratio of white vs black statistics when it suits you

Please, use some consistency. Otherwise it's clear you're pushing an agenda here.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Another
Lmao, why is this so difficult to understand. Instead people would rather argue "Cop shouldn't be punished at all. Black people commit crime all the time - it was only a matter of time before the black man was about to commit one anyway!"

1) Using total numbers of white vs black statistics when it suits you

2) Using a percentage ratio of white vs black statistics when it suits you

Please, use some consistency. Otherwise it's clear you're pushing an agenda here.

I provided data and sources for all of my evidence, if people want to check it and put it into context then they're free to do that. I don't know how you can argue that facts have a political agenda, but if you think I've manipulated them to suit my own bias then check them for yourself.
(edited 7 years ago)
In the US, if you want to live a prosperous life you have to do three things:

- Don't have a child before you're married
- Don't drop out of high school.
- Stay in work.

Source: http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ba428

The reason that African Americans are so poor, on average, in the US in because of the exclusion of many of the aforementioned. The single-motherhood rate in the black community is 72% as oppose to 25% of the total population, which means young lads don't have a father figure to keep then in check and ensure they're doing well in school, hence why dropout rates among African Americans is 32% as oppose to 8% for whites and Hispanics.

If we want to solve the problem, maybe we should address the genuine problems in American society such as the causes of poverty which is why crime and violence in the black community is so high.

Source: http://newsone.com/1195075/children-single-parents-u-s-american/
Source: https://www.dosomething.org/us/facts/11-facts-about-high-school-dropout-rates

Wait, who the hell in the left is opposing this? Who DOESN'T want better access to education for the black community? But is crying about the BLM movement and pushing this #WhiteLivesMatter agenda going to bring us any closer to this solution of yours? It's only going to make black people resent you even more for being so opportunistic and insensitive.
It's disproportionally high because black people commit a disproportional amount of violence. As I said, black people committed more than 50% of all murders in the US last year even though they represent just 13% of the population. Black on black violence is also almost 37 times more likely to lead the death of another black man than police force, evidence for which I provided in an earlier post. If we're going to talk about proportionality, more than 50% of all police homicides last year were of white people and they account for 54% of the total crime. In contrast, 25% of black people were killed in all police shootings last year and they represent 28% of the crime - explain to me where the injustice exists?

I'm not denying that there's a problem with police brutality in the US, especially in cases of overt racism which is pertinent in many cases involving the death of black men, but we shouldn't pretend that this is epidemic is exclusive to one group of people. I hate racism as much as you do, but blindness to reality is so dangerous and how are we going to solve the problem if we can't even accept the reality of what's happening? Black crime is a problem because of low socioeconomic attainment, poor educational attainment and single-parenthood in the black community. We should be talking about the aforementioned and not have pointless protests which do nothing but aggravate racial disharmony and divide.

I can imagine that if you were to oppose the outrage caused by the rape of White women by a minority of men in certain immigrant commuties by stating that "White on White rape is most common", the responses wouldn't be pretty. The racism behind some of the killings is what's causing the outrage. Someone like Philando Castile, who stays out of trouble won't be harmed by gangs, but he was killed by the police. A Black person in America who doesn't get involved with gangs usually has nothing to fear from them, yet from the sounds of it they still have something to fear from the police. A 12 year old boy can't even play with his toy gun without being shot on the spot!

I oppose those who try to stir racial tensions by displaying their overt racism too, but they do not represent the entire BLM movement, the same way racist and violent police officers do not represent all of the US law enforcement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending