The Student Room Group

Fed up now.

What is it with people? So, I'm knocking on a bit in years - 68 to be exact. It's not the young ones that are getting on my nerves, it's other people both in and out of uni.
I've had funny looks when I produce my Student Card in shops for discounts. I've had the'' What do you lecture in? ''. I went to the Uni Learning Development Unit during the holidays last week for some Maths sessions and afterwards when I went into the Ladies loos, I was asked if I was the cleaner and that one of the loos had no loo roll and could I get some - all in one breath.
It's just not funny any more, so the air turned blue with my response with several expletives to go with it.
All this goes with the constant ''why do you want to study at your age'' routine.
Reply 1
Well you can't change other people, so you need to change your own reaction to the situation. We don't fit the uni student stereotype, so there are bound to be issues like this. I couldn't get a student discount on a town bus no matter how many times I produced my student ID card.

**** happens but we're grownups with more life experience than most of our colleagues, so we just have to learn to deal with it better. I just decided that it was all part of the learning experience. A more philosophical approach is helpful.

There's nothing wrong with being a toilet cleaner and I took a smug satisfaction in occasionally being mistaken for a lecturer (most of whom were at least twenty years younger than me!).
Reply 2
Original post by Seamus123
What is it with people? So, I'm knocking on a bit in years - 68 to be exact. It's not the young ones that are getting on my nerves, it's other people both in and out of uni.
I've had funny looks when I produce my Student Card in shops for discounts. I've had the'' What do you lecture in? ''. I went to the Uni Learning Development Unit during the holidays last week for some Maths sessions and afterwards when I went into the Ladies loos, I was asked if I was the cleaner and that one of the loos had no loo roll and could I get some - all in one breath.
It's just not funny any more, so the air turned blue with my response with several expletives to go with it.
All this goes with the constant ''why do you want to study at your age'' routine.

Well, I'm really sorry to hear that you've had such a bad time with people. People are really really stupid alot of the time about a great many things. I would try not to take it personally and realise that it's on them, not you, how they react to you studying.

I am 24, and personally, I think it's great that you want to study. There is no reason why you shouldn't. GOOD LUCK! You're doing just fine!
I'm really sorry to hear that. Suffice to say I think it's awesome that you're studying a degree at 68. If I can afford it, and am not still working (which I presume I will be) I'd love to do that myself.

A little off-topic, but I do find it intensely weird that we still largely structure education around the principle that you are obligated (legally, and financially) to do the vast majority of your education when you are young (and more likely to be indifferent about it). Yet adults who are enthusiastic about learning get far, far less support from the government. Yet the government is happy to complain about skills shortages.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending