The Student Room Group

Politically Incorrect Facts

Scroll to see replies

The Queen is just a human.
Original post by JordanL_
I'm interested in seeing this proof. The United States of America would probably disagree with you.

Well, Northern Italy, Germany, the Netherlands disagree.

Have you heard of Gary, Indiana and Flint, Michigan Jordan? ****ing shitholes they are.

Meanwhile, the city states of the Holy roman empire? There was a historian whose name I cannot recall who pointed out that allowing local governments a large level or complete autonomy leads to generally more prosperous people. Of course in large centralised states you will have huge centres of power that dwarf those of decentralised states, compare Paris and Bremen for instance. However, you also end up with really horrible areas too, like the ones I pointed out. Decentralised states avoid this generally, which is why the north of Italy with cities like Milan, Venice, Florence is a first world country while the south is almost third world, even in the capital of the preceding kingdom, Naples.

It is counterfactual to suggest that the EU wasn't a power for centralisation, even remain has to admit that because it is objective truth. Law is made for all member states and overrides said laws.
Original post by TorpidPhil
A bit misleading to use smart as synonymous with high IQ.

Smart is a big vague. Actually it is a bit sloppy of me to refer to IQ. The study used data derived from a series of cognitive tests before adapting it to an IQ-like scale. I've amended it to childhood intelligence (of course suggesting that intelligence can be measured by something like IQ is itself politically incorrect in our prizes for all culture, but that is a whole other can of worms).
Original post by TercioOfParma
Well, Northern Italy, Germany, the Netherlands disagree.

Have you heard of Gary, Indiana and Flint, Michigan Jordan? ****ing shitholes they are.

Meanwhile, the city states of the Holy roman empire? There was a historian whose name I cannot recall who pointed out that allowing local governments a large level or complete autonomy leads to generally more prosperous people. Of course in large centralised states you will have huge centres of power that dwarf those of decentralised states, compare Paris and Bremen for instance. However, you also end up with really horrible areas too, like the ones I pointed out. Decentralised states avoid this generally, which is why the north of Italy with cities like Milan, Venice, Florence is a first world country while the south is almost third world, even in the capital of the preceding kingdom, Naples.

It is counterfactual to suggest that the EU wasn't a power for centralisation, even remain has to admit that because it is objective truth. Law is made for all member states and overrides said laws.

And yet the EU has been a huge force for wealth distribution. There are some horribly run-down areas of the UK, and all of them are that way due to chronic underfunding by our own government.

We could split the UK up into individual counties and Northumberland would be better off, because the Northumberland government wouldn't be spending all their money on new skyscrapers in London. Alternatively, the UK government stop distributing wealth unfairly. But then, if we gave Northumberland autonomy, there'd still be little *****y pockets in Northumberland and areas that were disproportionately well off.

The countries with the highest standards of living are almost all huge nations or members of the EU. Gary, Indiana is an absolute **** hole, but the people living there are still probably better off than the vast majority of people in the world. They have access to electricity and running water, and some degree of healthcare and education.

If you look at any country in Africa or South America, you will see enormous wealth inequality in tiny countries. Places where half the country is a paradise and everyone is rich, but the other half is made up of slums that people born in the first world couldn't imagine.

I don't think centralisation itself is a problem. It makes it easy for some areas to be ignored, but in a modern democracy with access to information, that doesn't have to be a problem. There's a huge uproar over the Flint water crisis because it's so easy to spread that kind of information. In the past it could have been ignored, but not now, so I think decentralisation isn't as much of a problem now. If a government can be held accountable, and the population have access to information from across the nation, a central government can be made to work for everyone.
And yet the EU has been a huge force for wealth distribution. There are some horribly run-down areas of the UK, and all of them are that way due to chronic underfunding by our own government.

We could split the UK up into individual counties and Northumberland would be better off, because the Northumberland government wouldn't be spending all their money on new skyscrapers in London. Alternatively, the UK government stop distributing wealth unfairly. But then, if we gave Northumberland autonomy, there'd still be little *****y pockets in Northumberland and areas that were disproportionately well off.

The countries with the highest standards of living are almost all huge nations or members of the EU. Gary, Indiana is an absolute **** hole, but the people living there are still probably better off than the vast majority of people in the world. They have access to electricity and running water, and some degree of healthcare and education.

If you look at any country in Africa or South America, you will see enormous wealth inequality in tiny countries. Places where half the country is a paradise and everyone is rich, but the other half is made up of slums that people born in the first world couldn't imagine.

I don't think centralisation itself is a problem. It makes it easy for some areas to be ignored, but in a modern democracy with access to information, that doesn't have to be a problem. There's a huge uproar over the Flint water crisis because it's so easy to spread that kind of information. In the past it could have been ignored, but not now, so I think decentralisation isn't as much of a problem now. If a government can be held accountable, and the population have access to information from across the nation, a central government can be made to work for everyone.

It doesn't matter how much dole they give to scotland, it is more about what the actual local sustainable resources can produce. We could split the UK into a federal or completely independent system, I wouldn't necessarily have an issue with that.

Holy ****, the EU countries have the highest standard of living? Its almost as if Europe was highly decentralised before the 19th century, and countries like germany and italy are new and were once collections of small kingdoms, duchies etc.

Centralisation is a problem regardless of the system. Think about it, Slovenia is different from Spain, it could seriously damage things if you implement certain laws uniformly over both.

You know what? South America and Africa has been quite centralised for hundreds of years (especially south america), and the technology is far far less advanced.
Original post by Mathemagicien
You ignore that many European countries have been empires. They were hardly decentralised when you take that into account. Before you use Germany as a counter-example (as it didn't have a large empire), it was, pre-unification, constantly being bullied by France. Just observe how the border changed through time. After reunification, that reversed completely

Yes. That is why Paris and London are so great while Teeside and parts of the south of France are horrible deprived places.

Centralisation has its benefits, it creates super cities which are immensely rich in comparison to those in decentralised areas. However, in decentralised areas, you have less chance of getting horribly run down area as administration can tailor itself to the local area better.
(edited 7 years ago)
Note: I have been made aware that we cannot include discussion of Islam or race in this thread, so please respect that.

May I ask who made you aware of this as it is stupid. as long as the discussion is factual it should be fine
Reply 27
The sun is shining all across the UK for the 1st time in a while, and y'all are sat at your computer desks circle jerking on who can be the least politically correct? I have to say, that's quite pathetic.

Original post by Mathemagicien
I have PMed you

Ok thanks.
there is a positive correlation between penis size and income. fact.

The only reason they're less intelligent then is the fact that they can't afford the education because all the money's going down south and to Brussels. People who voted Remain tend to be richer and more educated because of all the money they got. I have a cousin that went to Uni, and she supported Brexit, as did most of my family. Also, a majority of that article did not even prove your point.
Original post by Adamski191
The only reason they're less intelligent then is the fact that they can't afford the education because all the money's going down south and to Brussels. People who voted Remain tend to be richer and more educated because of all the money they got. I have a cousin that went to Uni, and she supported Brexit, as did most of my family. Also, a majority of that article did not even prove your point.

Going to Brussels? The EU invests billions in the poorest regions of the UK.

Once again, prove it.

There are many poor areas around where I live, I see no investment from the EU at all, and remember, we give money to the EU, so it would not really be the EU investing, it would be the EU spending British money on Britain, hardly an investment.
Original post by The_Opinion
There are many poor areas around where I live, I see no investment from the EU at all

Where do you live? If it's one of the poorest areas of the country, it's almost definitely had EU investment.

and remember, we give money to the EU, so it would not really be the EU investing, it would be the EU spending British money on Britain, hardly an investment.

Okay? And when the government invests money in my region they're actually spending MY money. That's how taxes work. I don't understand why it makes a difference whether it's the EU investing your taxes in your area or the British government doing it? The fact is that the EU invests in the poorest regions and the British government neglects them.
Where do you live? If it's one of the poorest areas of the country, it's almost definitely had EU investment.

Okay? And when the government invests money in my region they're actually spending MY money. That's how taxes work. I don't understand why it makes a difference whether it's the EU investing your taxes in your area or the British government doing it? The fact is that the EU invests in the poorest regions and the British government neglects them.

As I am not going to give credit to an organisation that does not deserve it. If you give me £100 and I then provide you with £50 worth of something, I do not deserve credit or praise. Especially if that £50 I spent on you is not want you even asked for. Do you have any evince that the money that the EU does spend (which is our money remember), is actually spent on things that the locals want or need? No, you don't.
Original post by the bear
there is a positive correlation between penis size and income. fact.

How then "size doesn't matter"? :cool:
Original post by The_Opinion
As I am not going to give credit to an organisation that does not deserve it. If you give me £100 and I then provide you with £50 worth of something, I do not deserve credit or praise. Especially if that £50 I spent on you is not want you even asked for. Do you have any evince that the money that the EU does spend (which is our money remember), is actually spent on things that the locals want or need? No, you don't.

The locals clearly do want it since they're begging the government to guarantee they'll keep getting it once we leave. Obviously they won't. http://news.sky.com/story/regions-demand-uk-govt-matches-lost-eu-funds-10324894

A better analogy is I give you £100 and you give £70 to your rich friend and £30 to another friend who gives £15 back to me. Now I'll be giving you £100 and you'll be giving £100 to your rich friends and I'll get absolutely **** all.

Our government gives your taxes to the rich, the EU forces them to give your taxes to the poor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending