The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by L i b
I'm not sure why you'd think that's necessarily illegal. Shotgun certificates are easy enough to get, it's quite legal to hold deactivated firearms and there are several ways to gain a licence for a handgun. While I'd think it was unusual, nothing that he has said is necessary untrue.

That handgun is totally banned in the UK :biggrin:

Also, you can't own a gun for "security purposes" - it's classed as an offensive weapon if you do and you'd never be issued a license.
Reply 21
Original post by EuanF

I'm not aware of legislation banning any individual model of handgun in the UK. Given its age, it could potentially qualify as a Section 7 (firearms of historic interest). Alternatively it could well be a Section 5 - under which as I understand it basically any handgun can be licensed, although practice varies quite considerably between police force areas as to what they will licence.

Also, you can't own a gun for "security purposes" - it's classed as an offensive weapon if you do and you'd never be issued a license.

Generally agreed, unless under certain conditions which are unlikely to be met by anyone posting here. But let's not forget what you say to gain a licence and what you may actually want something for may be quite different.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EuanF
Erm...
Perhaps you should read up on the laws before lying haha

when you have 2 family security companies it's easy to get through the required training to hold a handgun (especially as I am in a trade that a gun makes for a better success rate)
my former boss helped me get my shotgun licence and the ar-15 is only dangerous if you use it as a club
Original post by EuanF

Original post by L i b
I'm not aware of legislation banning any individual model of handgun in the UK. Given its age, it could potentially qualify as a Section 7 (firearms of historic interest). Alternatively it could well be a Section 5 - under which as I understand it basically any handgun can be licensed, although practice varies quite considerably between police force areas as to what they will licence.

Generally agreed, unless under certain conditions which are unlikely to be met by anyone posting here. But let's not forget what you say to gain a licence and what you may actually want something for may be quite different.

it from 1954 so it is to new to be a section 7 but the companies I have a link to handle security for politicians, celebrities, the royals as well as guarding valuable shipments so they are allowed to carry such weapons and I have the same license for my business
Original post by Napp
In fairness those Rifles can easily out perform most small calibre rifles.. Rifles are banned due to their range, pistols for being concealable. .
Out of interest what do you shoot; pellets or darts?

My Rifle is a pellet one. Could use a Dart gun but its a matter of cost. You need to remember Foxes bounce around and move a lot.

I tend to disagree since there are plenty of .22 rifles on hand where I live.

I just wish there was some start up licences to move up to a more powerful gun.
I would legalise handguns so that individuals can have something to protect themselves with.

Would keep the ban on automatic guns

The handgun ban was a silly overreaction to dunblane it was terrible what happened but we should never of punished the 99% of lawful gun owners
I would relax laws on firearm ownership by allowing the sale of handguns, assault rifles and shotguns in shops and stores with a license to do so and allow to consumers to buy who have a license to own firearms and successfully pass a background check, sales also subjected to a firearms duty included in the price as well as VAT and gun must be registered to a non-ministerial government Firearms Licensing Agency.
Original post by TercioOfParma
I value the ability to defend your home and to have fun shooting low calibre firearms at targets.

Defending your home is discussed in brutal honesty here. But at least you are honest about having fun with guns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rR9IaXH1M0
no matter what you do with the law, people will always find a way to get their hands on guns. The current law is fine and if they were to change it like the US... well **** we're screwed and there will be an increase in the number of causalities and armed crimes. I think it's best if the police etc. only have guns.
Original post by TercioOfParma
I would legalise handguns, centerfire semi-automatics and low calibre rimfire automatics(no more than .22 LR). I would also raise the cap on shotgun magazines from 3 to 6 and cap capacity of all long guns to 20, pistols to 10. I value the ability to defend your home and to have fun shooting low calibre firearms at targets.

However, I would also make large calibres (.50 etc.) illegal, since you don't need them for hunting anything.

what would be the purpose of this - to let any nutter pick up a gun and shot a load of people?!
definitely not relax them. i not sure what the current laws and requirements are but I think there should be extensive screening to make sure you're mentally sane and have a valid reason to own a gun - which there are very few besides governmental based things.
I wold make them more relaxed as it's a sport it's something people enjoy. Look at teroroists they use vans and trucks to kill yet vans are not getting band anytime soon. It's just a bad name has been put on guns they are a sport it's fun to shoot plus a single action rifle can do just as much damage as a semi auto it's just the rate of fire
Relax laws on handgun ownership strictly for self defense and defense of property purposes. But, thorough regulation, background checks and training as well as a license to be renewed every two years in addition to a registry database.
You can own everything, but will have to have a gun license that will involve a background check. You'll be able to get as many guns as you like on it. There'll also be carry permits, which will allow you to carry guns on you, which will involve another background check.
Changing UK gun law would be the definition of needless change. Gun ownership and use in the UK is not a particular problem.

To paraphrase Disraeli.. 'It is the duty of any Conservative to oppose needless change'.
Original post by Rakas21
Changing UK gun law would be the definition of needless change. Gun ownership and use in the UK is not a particular problem.

To paraphrase Disraeli.. 'It is the duty of any Conservative to oppose needless change'.

Fair enough but people would like a weapon to protect themselves with from the tramps we have in our country these days.
Original post by paul514
Fair enough but people would like a weapon to protect themselves with from the tramps we have in our country these days.

A small minority of people and as you may have seen, i care little for the opinion of minorities.

Latest

Trending

Trending