The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Photo on 09-07-2016 at 17.46.jpgPlz can someone explain which sets do these shape belong to and why. I can seem to sport a pattern
(edited 7 years ago)
Are we supposed to see the shapes by reading your mind through the internet?
Original post by Fred5134
Are we supposed to see the shapes by reading your mind through the internet?

here u go
How many questions do you have to get right to get band 1 on situational judgement? Because I got 11 wrong and got band 2 (mock exam)

Btw, I wouldn't recommend stressing out over the Abstract Reasoning section in the 1000Q book as most of the patterns are intrinsically difficult. I would suggest that Medify is a better resource for it although I haven't seen a Type 3 or 4 question come up on that so far.

How do you guys estimate your scores from Medify and the 1000Q book?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 424
Original post by ronnydandam
Thanks, I'll have four weeks, and I have the 1000Q ISC medical book, 1000Q Kaplan Book and medifiy, do you think doing more than 3 hours a day would hinder me

How do you concentrate for 3 hrs a day in this weather lol?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Athos
How do you concentrate for 3 hrs a day in this weather lol?

Posted from TSR Mobile

it's not even hot haha, use a fan? I was doing 5 hours a day 3 weeks or so ago(when I had exams)
Photo on 09-07-2016 at 17.46.jpgCan someone help me with this abstract reasoning question and tell me which sets these shapes belong to and why
Original post by yeah1106
Photo on 09-07-2016 at 17.46.jpgCan someone help me with this abstract reasoning question and tell me which sets these shapes belong to and why

thats quite a tough one. my guess would be that all the shapes are in fact distractors. ignoring the shapes (whether its circle or star), focusing on the colour, it seems set A has a symmetrical pattern to the colours (line of mirror symmetry down, across or through a diagonal).

Set B has no such symmetry. an extra rule seems to be that there cannot be 3 blacks in the same row/column.

so my answers would be: BNABA.

edit: a simpler way to explain it (without symmetry) is just that A has 2 sets of black-black separated by 1 white.
(edited 7 years ago)
Can someone help me with this abstract reasoning question and tell me which sets these shapes belong to and why

Maybe something about lines of symmetry in the boxes? A is symmetrical while B is not.
Reply 429
I was just wondering whether the practice questions: (either in the books or online) come up here and there in the actual exam?
Just wondering
Thank you :smile:
Original post by papajani1234
I was just wondering whether the practice questions: (either in the books or online) come up here and there in the actual exam?
Just wondering

I have no idea whether they do or dont, but it is highly unlikely the exact same question will come up again.

The UKCAT every single year has a set of questions randomly selected from a question bank for each subsection, and it is just random. You may encounter questions which require similar logic to those in the practice exams online, but I highly doubt you would come across the same questions word for word.

Do not discount the importance of the practice tests though, make sure you do them as they are the closest thing you will get to the actual exam, and the best practice in my opinion (even if they are a little easier).

good luck x
Reply 431
Original post by Natalierm2707
I have no idea whether they do or dont, but it is highly unlikely the exact same question will come up again.

The UKCAT every single year has a set of questions randomly selected from a question bank for each subsection, and it is just random. You may encounter questions which require similar logic to those in the practice exams online, but I highly doubt you would come across the same questions word for word.

Do not discount the importance of the practice tests though, make sure you do them as they are the closest thing you will get to the actual exam, and the best practice in my opinion (even if they are a little easier).

good luck x

thank you :smile:

"it's tricky Ican't work it out. I was thinking a few things but then some of the boxes don't agree with the rule I thought of. Hope someone can solve it!" ?
I have come across similar questions in another book. Grrrrrrrrt
Original post by ronnydandam
thanks, how many hours a day did you do? Would 7 a day be too much? do u mean 4 weeks all together or 8

I would've presumed 7 hours a day is an overkill because you'll need time for your personal statement, revision of AS work for reformed subjects and the fact that resources are a little too limited for that much revision a day.
Original post by studentsixth
I would've presumed 7 hours a day is an overkill because you'll need time for your personal statement, revision of AS work for reformed subjects and the fact that resources are a little too limited for that much revision a day.

Fair enough! Thanks
Guys some of the ukcat courses are rubbish! don't attend them
Reply 436
Original post by jamesf124

Which ones are rubbish?
Original post by papajani1234
Just wondering

Practice questions on official website or those in the book are separate From the question bank from exam. More questions are added regularly and old questions get moved to practice site.
It's important to practice to get that mindset and pattern recognition skills.
Original post by jamesf124

In my opinion, courses are useful when one is ready to attend. As someone posted earlier, the courses can not make you pass the exam. Courses are good as one has direct access to the tutors to ask questions and clarify if something is not clear. It also depends on the courses. Class room style course is a waste of time. Small group is better. My definition of small group is "if one can see the foot of the tutor" meaning, one is not sitting in back rows. Small group should be round table kind of format for better tutor-pupil interaction. To get the most out of the course, one should do as many questions as possible, before going to the course, be familiar with the format of the exam, aware of one's own limitations and identify week points so that the tutor in the course can explain.
If one goes to a course, thinking one will get a perfect score, just by attending a course, it will be a wasted time and money. No course will make you perfect. It can only give you skills.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ienjoylife
Lol well when you become a med student make sure you study from the most up to date books and not cheap 19th century ones. I think you made your point about 4 times now so it is becoming a bit repetitive. So much for not being able to read 4 times the same thing ...

I will off course. Sorry about 4 posts. I got carried away. I jsut want to do as many as I can... If it is means I do first edition of something, I will go for it ! I am also doing MENSA books too ....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending