The Student Room Group

Planning on moving out, but how?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by donte
Essentially it depends on where you want to live. If you get a really cheap, less than beautiful home, you can pay it off within about 10 years (being quite frugal!). Then you have equity and you move on up from there.

Use the help to buy scheme, and stay away from places like London. Also you can barter on the deposits - just because it says you need to put £25,000 down on it, doesnt mean you do. Call them up and try and get it lowered. Do the same for the overall price as well!

Thanks, I don't want a big fancy home.
Just something for me, my boyfriend, and a family member (they can't walk)

As it would be a first time buyer, I wasn't sure on what to do haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also to people putting op down you don't actually need that much to buy a house. If 2 people are working a full time job they can pretty easily get together say a 10% deposit on a 100,000 pound house after a few months- maybe a year whilst renting in the mean time. The rest will be made up of 90% mortgage which they can pay off monthly. It's only unrealistic if they want to live in London or the south, plenty of places in the midlands and north. Okay it won't be the best house but it's the first one and can be used to get equity release to climb the ladder in future which is how it was traditionally done
Original post by neal95
Also to people putting op down you don't actually need that much to buy a house. If 2 people are working a full time job they can pretty easily get together say a 10% deposit on a 100,000 pound house after a few months- maybe a year whilst renting in the mean time. The rest will be made up of 90% mortgage which they can pay off monthly. It's only unrealistic if they want to live in London or the south, plenty of places in the midlands and north. Okay it won't be the best house but it's the first one and can be used to get equity release to climb the ladder in future which is how it was traditionally done

Thank you

I live in Manchester but the homes where I are, are fairly cheap.

With the job that my boyfriends applied for (hopefully he'll get it) it's a really good wage, at £17 per hour, for 9 hour shifts, and 5 days a week!

Also, I'm a fully qualified landscaper so there's loads of companies that do landscape around here.

So hopefully it should be fairly easy to get a job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Matched Betting is a good way to bring in extra money. Sure it won't overall be enough to gain a house but its still a good source of income!
Original post by Blakstar22
Matched Betting is a good way to bring in extra money. Sure it won't overall be enough to gain a house but its still a good source of income!

Thanks, but, I don't do gambling/betting :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by abbie1998xo
Thanks, but, I don't do gambling/betting :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

your loss. I do it part time along side my job and made 3k since March, its not gambling either

anyway OT. houses in Manchester are dirt cheap, I moved from there to essex and you could essily rent a decent place for 700 a month, for that here youd only get a flat. Anyway youll need to rent first unless you have like 15-20k already for a deposit. Btw if youre going to rent and think in 5 years youll be able to afford a house, just remember unexpected costs of things and if you want to go away etc, ots all good on paper but in reality itll take longer
Original post by Joshale
your loss. I do it part time along side my job and made 3k since March, its not gambling either

anyway OT. houses in Manchester are dirt cheap, I moved from there to essex and you could essily rent a decent place for 700 a month, for that here youd only get a flat. Anyway youll need to rent first unless you have like 15-20k already for a deposit. Btw if youre going to rent and think in 5 years youll be able to afford a house, just remember unexpected costs of things and if you want to go away etc, ots all good on paper but in reality itll take longer

I just meant in roughly we'll be able to afford the house we want, we know it'll be more for other things :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just rent? Why wait 5 years to buy a house outright (very dubious) - either rent now or save for a deposit and buy in a years time or so with a mortgage.*
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Just rent? Why wait 5 years to buy a house outright (very dubious) - either rent now or save for a deposit and buy in a years time or so with a mortgage.*

We just would prefer having our own house that's all :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by abbie1998xo
We just would prefer having our own house that's all :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

if your username is your date of birth then you're incredibly young to be getting a house. What's the rush?*
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
if your username is your date of birth then you're incredibly young to be getting a house. What's the rush?*

Not now, Id just like one in the next few years😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending