The Student Room Group

Alpha vs Beta males

Scroll to see replies

And to clear this up, as to its origins:

The concept of an alpha male comes from wild animals. Wolf packs have an alpha pair who lead the pack, are allowed to eat first, and are the ones who can reproduce (stronger parents = stronger offspring).

Humans, and other animals, can display alpha traits - leadership, sexual dominance etc. I won't deny it. But there is no such thing as an 'alpha male' outside pack hierarchy, and the concept of a 'beta male' is in itself even more ridiculous.

We're human, not canine.
Original post by Anonymous
True. So what do you prefer?

I agree with the others in that classifying into these types is probably pointless :smile:
Not something I think about generally.
Reply 22
Does it really matter?

Only on TSR it seems as this is the only place I've ever heard it mentioned.
Reply 23
Original post by Alexion
We're human, not canine.
Offensive to werewolves, reported
Reply 24
Why not cycle through the whole alphabet? Why should we exclusively use the first two letters?

Sigma males, Mu males, Pi males, etc....
A simple "what type of guy do you go far" will reveal most women go for guys with the traits of alpha males.
Original post by UWS
Why not cycle through the whole alphabet? Why should we exclusively use the first two letters?

The **** is an omega male then?
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Offensive to werewolves, reported

I'm sowwy I didn't wanna offend :emo:

Original post by UWS

I'm more of a Pie male myself :mmm:
A simple "what type of guy do you go far" will reveal most women go for guys with the traits of alpha males.

Not girls on here, they generally seem much more mature :cute:
Attachment not found
Alpha traits are generally more desireable imo, but who am I to say, I am a man, not a woman.

Ladies, would you rather your partner to be the leader, the rock in your relationship, independent, goal-driven who stands up for himself when his values are challenged; or would you like your man to be the passive follower, needy due to fear of losing you, always seeking for validation from you and a push-over for people because he wants to please as many people as he can to avoid conflict?

I am guessing most will choose the former, which in my opinion, are alpha traits.
Reply 31
Original post by Legendstatusxoxo
prefer a gamma male myself

ffs beat me to it
Original post by Ethics Maniac
Alpha traits are generally more desireable imo, but who am I to say, I am a man, not a woman.

Ladies, would you rather your partner to be the leader, the rock in your relationship, independent, goal-driven who stands up for himself when his values are challenged; or would you like your man to be the passive follower, needy due to fear of losing you, always seeking for validation from you and a push-over for people because he wants to please as many people as he can to avoid conflict?

I am guessing most will choose the former, which in my opinion, are alpha traits.

Finally. Some brute honesty.
OP has to post anonymously. Can't even own his views. Has to hide behind a wall of anonymity.

What a beta.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Alexion
And to clear this up, as to its origins:

The concept of an alpha male comes from wild animals. Wolf packs have an alpha pair who lead the pack, are allowed to eat first, and are the ones who can reproduce (stronger parents = stronger offspring).

Err... that stuff on wolfs has been largely discredited I believe.

The whole thing is based on crap science and completely ignores all the science out there on hierarchies. Compare how chimps differ to bonobos just to see how much variation there is. Yet these muppets build their "theories" on the red pill :indiff:
(edited 7 years ago)
I can't help but feel this alpha/beta crap is a concept created by people who consider themselves better than everyone else. It's as if they feel a need to plug their own insecurities this way. Basically they're in denial
What about Gamma males?
Original post by an_atheist
The **** is an omega male then?

Omega males are ones that find a totally different route to mating success.

Say two stags are rutting for the right to the females. A third males sneaks in and has sex with the females whilst they are rutting and then runs off. That third male is an omega male.

I guess an example in humans could be bisexual men who were left behind whilst the rest of the men went off to hunt would have sex with now unguarded females.
(edited 7 years ago)
Screw the alpha and beta males. It's all about the omega males, AKA the lone wolf!
Original post by Reue
Only on TSR it seems as this is the only place I've ever heard it mentioned.

there is only one pack leader on TSR... he is signified by the highest number of reps. *

Quick Reply

Latest