The Student Room Group

Medicine A*A*B prediction

Hi guys,

My predicted grades are an A* in Maths, A* Biology and B in chemistry. I really want to apply to medicine. Are there any unis that can accept a B in chemistry or should i just apply to biomedical sciences instead?

Thanks
Original post by johnbennett
Hi guys,

My predicted grades are an A* in Maths, A* Biology and B in chemistry. I really want to apply to medicine. Are there any unis that can accept a B in chemistry or should i just apply to biomedical sciences instead?

Thanks

If the B was in a different subject (not biology or chemistry), you would have a shot at Keele and maybe Bristol if you go to a school that's eligible for their contextual offer. As it stands, there aren't any medical schools that I know of where you'd have a realistic chance.

I would suggest you take a gap year and apply with achieved grades (and try to exceed the chemistry prediction).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Hydeman
If the B was in a different subject (not biology or chemistry), you would have a shot at Keele and maybe Bristol if you go to a school that's eligible for their contextual offer. As it stands, there aren't any medical schools that I know of where you'd have a realistic chance.

I would suggest you take a gap year and apply with achieved grades (and try to get exceed the chemistry prediction).

Thank you :smile:
Reply 3
Hi, try looking at liverpool, keele, cardiff and hull-york,my daughter has just completed her first year at medical school and had to apply with A*A*B predictions but you really will have to trawl the seletion procedures and small print and also they could have changed their criteria since then. My daughter was really discouraged by her school from applying however she is more than keeping up and no special circumstances were used at the time of application. As it happens 5 students applied from her year and all got in to different med schools whilst dropping a grade. The B prediction for my daughter was in chemistry, hope this helps!

Hi guys,

Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by Sprout73
Hi, try looking at liverpool, keele, cardiff and hull-york,my daughter has just completed her first year at medical school and had to apply with A*A*B predictions but you really will have to trawl the seletion procedures and small print and also they could have changed their criteria since then. My daughter was really discouraged by her school from applying however she is more than keeping up and no special circumstances were used at the time of application. As it happens 5 students applied from her year and all got in to different med schools whilst dropping a grade. The B prediction for my daughter was in chemistry, hope this helps!

Thank you so much for your reply. Its nice to see someone being put in the same situation as me. I will try and apply to Medical schools using my predictions but that just means ill have to work harder and try to score really high on the UKCAT (and BMAT). Congratulations on your daughter getting into medical school! Which universities did she get offers from?
(edited 7 years ago)
push for a higher prediction!! or maybe ask for A*AA so that the A* and B balance out
Hi guys,

Thanks

I'm afraid every single medical school requires AAA at least, having 2A*'s will not make up for having a B in chemistry sadly.

The one thing I could say is that because they are predicted you could always wait to see what you actually achieve and then if you get the A in chem you can apply to medicine. This will require you taking a gap year but that isnt a bad thing at all. there are always options.
Reply 7
Thank you so much for your reply. Its nice to see someone being put in the same situation as me. I will try and apply to Medical schools using my predictions but that just means ill have to work harder and try to score really high on the UKCAT (and BMAT). Congratulations on your daughter getting into medical school! Which universities did she get offers from?

Hi my daughter applied to only 3 medical schools because of her grades and two biomedicine courses she recieved one offer from medical school and was expected to obtain AAA at least for her offer even thogh they were not her predictions and she recieved 2 offers for biomedicine. If she had taken a gap year without applying she would definitely of had to resit or do biomed so it was worth trying she had everything to gain nothing to lose .she applied to hyms although the selection criteria has changed this year .once again offer was dependent on AAA but was able to apply with AAB predictions last year .
Reply 8
Original post by tanyapotter
push for a higher prediction!! or maybe ask for A*AA so that the A* and B balance out

I really wish i could but im afraid my chemistry teacher wont budge to a higher grade. I tried to convince him as much as i could, so did my parents and head of year. It is impossible to change his mind. But thank you anyways :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Natalierm2707
I'm afraid every single medical school requires AAA at least, having 2A*'s will not make up for having a B in chemistry sadly.

The one thing I could say is that because they are predicted you could always wait to see what you actually achieve and then if you get the A in chem you can apply to medicine. This will require you taking a gap year but that isnt a bad thing at all. there are always options.

I thought so too. Most universities are strict on achieving an A specifically in chemistry. I have no problem at all with taking a gap year but I just really wanted to get into medicine first time round. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Sprout73
Hi my daughter applied to only 3 medical schools because of her grades and two biomedicine courses she recieved one offer from medical school and was expected to obtain AAA at least for her offer even thogh they were not her predictions and she recieved 2 offers for biomedicine. If she had taken a gap year without applying she would definitely of had to resit or do biomed so it was worth trying she had everything to gain nothing to lose .she applied to hyms although the selection criteria has changed this year .once again offer was dependent on AAA but was able to apply with AAB predictions last year .

Oh i see. I think they may have changed again this year. All unis want AAA and they specifically require an A in chemistry. I guess ill have to take a gap year then. Thanks anyway :smile:
I really wish i could but im afraid my chemistry teacher wont budge to a higher grade. I tried to convince him as much as i could, so did my parents and head of year. It is impossible to change his mind. But thank you anyways :smile:

I can relate to this - some teachers are just too scared to predict you the grades you want. My English teacher this year refused to predict me an A for English Language despite my attempts to convince her. Luckily it didn't affect my UCAS application but it's really annoying how much one person's opinion can influence your application . I hope it goes well for you :smile:
Original post by fefssdf
I can relate to this - some teachers are just too scared to predict you the grades you want. My English teacher this year refused to predict me an A for English Language despite my attempts to convince her. Luckily it didn't affect my UCAS application but it's really annoying how much one person's opinion can influence your application . I hope it goes well for you :smile:

Exactly. I told him several times how passionate I am and how hard I'm going to work but he had none of it. I genuinely meant it though. It is extremely annoying as they have the power to help you get into what you want but they are not willing to do that. Oh well, I suppose this is life... I better start revising then. Hope it goes well for you too. Thank you :smile:
Exactly. I told him several times how passionate I am and how hard I'm going to work but he had none of it. I genuinely meant it though. It is extremely annoying as they have the power to help you get into what you want but they are not willing to do that. Oh well, I suppose this is life... I better start revising then. Hope it goes well for you too. Thank you :smile:

Just try your hardest to prove them wrong because although my teacher predicted me a B back in septmber she has now changed her prediction to an A which is the result of me putting it lots more effort this year and smashing the coursewor. Hopefully I do get an A overall and then she may be more inclined to trust students in future when they tell her that they will work harder cause she clearly underestimated me massively and unfortunately that B grade prediction is what the universities went on and I could've applied to different places with an A prediction as then I would've had A*AA Predictions but Yh teachers don't seem to realise how important predictions are especially for medicine :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I thought so too. Most universities are strict on achieving an A specifically in chemistry. I have no problem at all with taking a gap year but I just really wanted to get into medicine first time round. Thanks :smile:

It definetly doesnt mean you cannot try to gain an offer first time around, its worth a try every time, and if your predictions hold you back at least you have been through the process once and will have a greater understanding of how it works.

Like one of the posters above said, some medical schools do not look at predicted grades/do not mind if you have a B predicted.

Quick Reply

Latest