The Student Room Group

EPQ/ dissertations

ok i am bit clueless, some people have recommended an EPQ others have said to steer clear, I want to study medicine and am doing 3 a levels and an AS, so I have a few questions. what is an EPQ? how long does take to complete? is it worth doing if I am doing 4 AS and 3 a levels ( me people ave said its for people only doing a levels)? do you have any recommendations for science or medical related projects? any other hints ad tips would be really great. thanks so much!!!:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by charl0ttem
ok i am bit clueless, some people have recommended an EPQ others have said to steer clear, I want to study medicine and am doing 3 a levels and an AS, so I have a few questions. what is an EPQ? how long does take to complete? is it worth doing if I am doing 4 AS and 3 a levels ( me people ave said its for people only doing a levels)? do you have any recommendations for science or medical related projects? any other hints ad tips would be really great. thanks so much!!!:smile:

I've just finished my AS levels and am thinking about doing an EPQ (about engineering). I've seen a lot of mixed views on whether or not it's beneficial so I'll try to summarise the response I got:

Essentially the EPQ is a project. You pose a question, conduct research, present it and hopefully come to a conclusion/answer. There are many different ways you can present it so have a little look at what people have done in the past for ideas. It will take time.
Pros: You're independently researching something you enjoy (hopefully). You're showing interest and passion for the subject. You're going out of your way to learn more because you want to, not because you have to. This is what many universities want to see on your application. Proof that you enjoy the subject and want to study it more.
Cons: It takes a lot of time. That time could be better spent doing other things, such as work experience, or revising in order to get better grades.

You have to decide for yourself whether it'll be worth your time, no-one can tell you that. But ultimately, don't do it solely to write it on your application. Do it because you want to learn more.

Quick Reply

Latest