The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE Chemistry-May 2016.

I sat the Cambridge IGCSE Chemistry exam in May. I did the multiple choice, which was out of 40, the Alternative To Practical, which was also out of 40 and the Theory, which was out of 80. Do I HAVE to get an A* in each of these components to get an A*overall?
Original post by dp00
I sat the Cambridge IGCSE Chemistry exam in May. I did the multiple choice, which was out of 40, the Alternative To Practical, which was also out of 40 and the Theory, which was out of 80. Do I HAVE to get an A* in each of these components to get an A*overall?

No not at all. Even if you fail paper 6, you can still get an A* as it is only worth 20% of the total grade. Paper 1 is worth 30% and paper 3 is the other 50%.
Thank you so much! I knew my question was stupid! By the way, do you know the formula that examiners use to work out the final mark? Thanks
No problem at all! Yes I do know the formula... So...
You multiply your expected mark in:
Paper 2 by 1.5
Paper 4 by 1.5
Paper 6 by 1
Then you just add these marks. That mark is what they will use to grade by aligning to the the appropriate grade that that mark falls into.
Original post by 2000rules
Then you just add these marks. That mark is what they will use to grade by aligning to the the appropriate grade that that mark falls into.

Tgank you so much for your response! I may be erong but are your sure that is correct? Why would the theory and multiple choice marks be multiplied by the same number if they are weighted differently. If you don't mind could you tell me where you got that formula? Thanks so much!
Original post by dp00
Tgank you so much for your response! I may be erong but are your sure that is correct? Why would the theory and multiple choice marks be multiplied by the same number if they are weighted differently. If you don't mind could you tell me where you got that formula? Thanks so much!

I got the formula from my teacher and friends too. Ifk why it's like that... But even my teachers have used the same formula to grade my mock exams. You're most welcome:smile:
Original post by dp00

I'm pretty sure it's correct. I got the formula from my teacher and friends too. Idk why it's like that... But even my teachers have used the same formula to grade my mock exams. You're most welcome:smile:
I'm pretty sure it's correct. I got the formula from my teacher and friends too. Idk why it's like that... But even my teachers have used the same formula to grade my mock exams. You're most welcome:smile:

Sorry if you feel like I am harrassing you! If I got 70/80 in theory, 24/40 in MC and 25/40 in ATP then according to your formula that means I got roughly 83%. This seems way too high!
Original post by dp00
Sorry if you feel like I am harrassing you! If I got 70/80 in theory, 24/40 in MC and 25/40 in ATP then according to your formula that means I got roughly 83%. This seems way too high!

It's fine:😂. But that's seems to be right. I had told you that even if you fail in paper 6, you can get the A*. So in this case, even thought you have just got above half the marks in
paper 6(atp). You still get a high %; especially because you have done great in
paper 3( theory paper). With that grade %, it's a sure A*! Don't really stress too much about it anyways- you have done great!😀
It's fine:😂. But that's seems to be right. I had told you that even if you fail in paper 6, you can get the A*. So in this case, even thought you have just got above half the marks in
paper 6(atp). You still get a high %; especially because you have done great in
paper 3( theory paper). With that grade %, it's a sure A*! Don't really stress too much about it anyways- you have done great!😀

Thank you so much, you have been so kind. Did you sit the exam as well?☺
Original post by dp00
Thank you so much, you have been so kind. Did you sit the exam as well?☺

No worries at all!! Yes I sat the same exam too.
What grade do you think you got?
Original post by dp00
What grade do you think you got?

I found it a little hard. So possibly A( if I'm lucky) or B.

Quick Reply

Latest