The Student Room Group

Im scared about college

Im currently about to start college but Im really scared because nobody is getting on the bus Im getting on that I know and I have anxiety the whole situation is freaking me out. Some reassurance?
Everyone get's a little scared going into a place like college, and even though there is no one on the bus you know, there will be others in a similar position who will probably be looking for someone to befriend.
To be fair buses arent the main hive of social activity, on the way to college I would normally listen to music or read a book to pass the time.
I was nervous at first about college in general but there will be people in your position and just want to make friends. Just try and talk to people in your classes as I'm sure people will be glad of it as everyone is trying to make friends during the beginning. It's a lot of awkward encounters at first but you just kind of have to do it and everyone is in the same position.
What are you worried about specifically, OP?
Reply 4
Original post by Abstract_Prism
What are you worried about specifically, OP?

Ive been out of education since march due to ill health im not used to it
Original post by Elizabeth00
Ive been out of education since march due to ill health im not used to it

Worried about making friends? Getting picked on? Being able to keep up with the work? Knowing where to go?
My grandson started college last year at 16 after I had home schooled him and he had never been to school. He was very anxious and struggled the first week or two. Try to think beyond the bus journey to the point where you will make a whole new set of friends, learn new things and build your future on these things.
I promise you, you will be fine.
Reply 7
Worried about making friends? Getting picked on? Being able to keep up with the work? Knowing where to go?

Getting back into the swing of things getting up talking to people etc + a new enviroment
Original post by Elizabeth00
Getting back into the swing of things getting up talking to people etc + a new enviroment

If you're the kind of person who can make/has friends, you won't find it difficult.
I was in the exact position as you last year, i was nearly *****ing myself. My advice for you is that poeole tend to panick about something but it always turns out to be something trivial. Its fine because you will find people like you and its not scary at all.
If you're the kind of person who can make/has friends, you won't find it difficult.

I think you are scaring the op lol. I think op is probably a socially awkward person (just a guess). I think she just need to be herself and ask for help when she needs it. Doesnt matter if you are not good at befriending people as there will always be someone out there who are like you.
Original post by coconut64
I think you are scaring the op lol. I think op is probably a socially awkward person (just a guess). I think she just need to be herself and ask for help when she needs it. Doesnt matter if you are not good at befriending people as there will always be someone out there who are like you.

Can confirm that I speak the harsh truth.

I haven't made a single friend, and I've done a year of sixth form. I thought that the situation would change when I got to sixth form, but nope it stays the same. Actually it got worse.

OP, there are 'socially introverted' people, then there are the others. These are those with autism and other serious social defects.

Most people I know who would describe themselves as 'socially introverted' actually have the secret ability to make friends that totally mystifies me. In fact, all the 'socially introverted' people band together, and actually have the largest friend groups.

OP, here's how you tell what will happen. Have you made a friend before in your life? Good, you will almost certainly make another at sixth form. If you haven't, then I'm afraid the situation is unlikely to change.

It sucks, but that's how it is. But hey, you might be the exception to the rule.

Bottom line: If you've made friends before, it will happen again no problem.
Can confirm that I speak the harsh truth.

I haven't made a single friend, and I've done a year of sixth form. I thought that the situation would change when I got to sixth form, but nope it stays the same. Actually it got worse.

OP, there are 'socially introverted' people, then there are the others. These are those with autism and other serious social defects.

Most people I know who would describe themselves as 'socially introverted' actually have the secret ability to make friends that totally mystifies me. In fact, all the 'socially introverted' people band together, and actually have the largest friend groups.

OP, here's how you tell what will happen. Have you made a friend before in your life? Good, you will almost certainly make another at sixth form. If you haven't, then I'm afraid the situation is unlikely to change.

It sucks, but that's how it is. But hey, you might be the exception to the rule.

Bottom line: If you've made friends before, it will happen again no problem.

I would say just be yourself and it doesn't matter how many friends you have. As long as you can communicate and know what is going on around you and have a common sense, you are good to go. Judging that you have done your GCSE exams, this wouldn't be a problem for you.

Quick Reply

Latest