The Student Room Group

Gold Duke of Edinburgh - Worth Doing?

Sorry if this isn't the right forum to post this in

So I'm in Year 11 (going into Y12 in September) and I'm thinking of doing the Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award. I didn't go Silver or Bronze, so I think I'm right in saying it would take 18 months to complete. Is it likely to be worth doing? Is it valued by universities and employers? I don't think I will have finished it before I apply to uni but I could still say that I'm in the process of completing it. Any thoughts?

Any help would be appreciate as I really don't know much about it :smile:
Original post by archipelaglobule

So I'm in Year 11 (going into Y12 in September) and I'm thinking of doing the Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award. I didn't go Silver or Bronze, so I think I'm right in saying it would take 18 months to complete. Is it likely to be worth doing? Is it valued by universities and employers? I don't think I will have finished it before I apply to uni but I could still say that I'm in the process of completing it. Any thoughts?

Do it if you want to do it for its own sake. Do not do it purely to put on an application, as it will carry no weight.
So do you think that it has no significance if I put it on an application but was never actually very interested in doing it? Or just that it isn't a particularly impressive thing to put on an application anyway?
So do you think that it has no significance if I put it on an application but was never actually very interested in doing it? Or just that it isn't a particularly impressive thing to put on an application anyway?

What course do you plan on doing in the future? Anything academical?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

if you think its fun then I'd say go for it. if your doing it for the experience then maybe ncs or something is better cause you get to do more adventurous activities whereas d of e is more just mountaineering

If you want to do it, do it. I think you do gain useful life skills from the DofE but it's unlikely to make any significant difference to your uni application. So if your main reason for doing it is to boost your UCAS form, I wouldn't bother. If you think it's a valuable experience for your own sake then I would.

Admissions tutors for academic courses do not require 'rounded individuals'. They are interested in your interest in, and knowledge of, the course you are applying for. Vocational courses may require extra-curricular activities, in the form of work experience mainly, which are related to the course. Here is a quote from an admissions tutor at a Russell Group university on the matter. The relevant part is the second to last bullet point:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2012563&p=37765516#post37765516

Do the DofE if you want to do it. It's a fine thing to do, if you are interested in it. It is pretty common, however, and won't make any difference to your application. No amount of camping/hiking/lighting fires will make up for not having the right qualifications.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
What course do you plan on doing in the future? Anything academical?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah - linguistics, or possibly maths. I'm hoping to get into Oxford/Cambridge/Other top university.
Yeah - linguistics, or possibly maths. I'm hoping to get into Oxford/Cambridge/Other top university.

It won't matter then. Probably not worth your time

Quick Reply

Latest