The Student Room Group

Extended Projext-EPQ-Worth it?

Has anyone done the EPQ recently? Can you choose to research anything? Also, would this help to get into universities such as Oxbridge, to study medicine? Any experience would be great!
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Not sure really, I'm considering doing it or another AS next year to increase my ucas tariff points
I did the EPQ, and found it to be a great experience. You have the chance to research absolutely anything, I chose behavioural economics, which was a topic related to the degree I was applying for at the time, which gave me something extra to talk about on my personal statement, which isn't covered on the A level specification. If i had an interview, it would have also given me something to talk about as I had conducted extensive research and was super interested in my topic. So if you do decide to do the EPQ, make sure it's within a field you're genuinely interested in, and don't mind reading articles, watching TED talks etc.

It also really helped with my transition to university as I developed essential essay writing skills, which quite a few people didn't have, such as referencing. The only disadvantage I can think of was maybe presenting, as I'm kinda shy, but even then it really helped me, as I've had to present quite a few times at university. So if you have the time, I'd totally go for it.

I got an A* on mine and would be happy to help further if I can, so feel free to message me at any point :h:
Original post by LDS16
Has anyone done the EPQ recently? I've tried to find out about it but only got vague information. Can you choose to research anything? Also, would this help to get into universities such as Oxbridge, to study medicine? Any experience would be great!

I did an EPQ when I was in college, and got an A in it! You can research pretty much anything, within reason of course! Most people choose to research a topic which they are interested in, and/or relates to the degree they want to study. For example, I'm going to be doing a Geoscience degree once I finish my gap year, and I did my project on theories for the extinction of the dinosaurs at the K-T boundary.

As long as you're able to balance your time and effort between the EPQ and your other subjects, then completing one definitely wouldn't hurt! It'd give you an extra qualification, and help to demonstrate your commitment to your chosen degree subject further :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by LDS16
Has anyone done the EPQ recently? I've tried to find out about it but only got vague information. Can you choose to research anything? Also, would this help to get into universities such as Oxbridge, to study medicine? Any experience would be great!

Yeah it can be on anything as long as it's not something you've learned in class already. It can be in the form of a dissertation or something you built or an event you planned etc. It's equivalent to an AS even tho u can get A* in it.

I applied for Dentistry. I had to do OCR EPQ because it was compulsory at my sixth form. My EPQ was a website on dentistry and I got A*. I mentioned it in my personal statement but at interviews they didn't bring it up at all. It might have helped me get an interview but I'm not sure. Some unis like Southampton do care about it and for some courses they lower your offer requirement if u do EPQ. My friend applied there and he got a lowered offer.

I enjoyed researching and actually making my project but you have to do a lot of extra bs as well like documenting your progress and making time management plans and writing a diary which I found useless and annoying. That's where the majority of marks actually come from.

Overall though I would still do it again.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LDS16

:biggrin: just started mine on Chemistry - you can literally do anything! :yep:
Maybe but not sure about medicine, it's really relaxed, fun and AMAZING for PS and interviews! :h:

:rofl:
nice one matey! :five:
Original post by LDS16

I would say definitely go for it. Yes you can research anything you want but you should not make it too broad. I would say it would help more in terms of showing interest in your PS on your course (if its relevant), showing skills you have gained and also bonus UCAS points.

When do you start the research at your college because I wouldn't do it if it ends close to the exam period unless you can handle the stress.

Also its not true that it helps in lowering offers except for a few universities (e.g. Southampton), my college said that it lowers it for a lot of unis which isn't true.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LDS16

Pretty much everyone in my year started doing an EPQ, but never finished. It didn't seem to help or hinder the university applications of those who did complete one. I got offers from Cambridge, Durham, St Andrews, Birmingham (unconditional) and Manchester and I didn't do an EPQ. The only other person in my year to get an Oxbridge offer also did not do an EPQ. Many who did complete one were rejected.

Some universities such as Southampton) may give you a softer offer (e.g. AAB instead of AAA) if you do well in an EPQ. But, just being able to say that you are doing one will rarely make universities more likely to give you an offer in the first place.

If you're thinking about applying to Oxbridge, they will want to see evidence that you have gone beyond what is taught in lessons. This can mean doing an EPQ, but it need not. Independently doing wider reading and talking about it your personal statement and at interview will also show this. Arguably, it might impress them more because you would not have been learning for a "badge" within in the very guided framework of an EPQ, but just for the sake of learning.

For medicine particularly, getting relevant work experience will be more important than an EPQ.

Overall, I would say that any slight benefits of doing an EPQ are more than outweighed by the sheer amount of time and effort it requires which actually had a negative impact on the studies and grades of my friends who did one.
(edited 7 years ago)
:rofl:
cool!
I'm sure you will mate! :h:

Spoiler

:woo:
I know I'm not going to be happy with my AS grades, I've not bothered counting :ashamed:

Spoiler

Yes, for Oxbrudge whether you do an EPQ or not you must read around your subjects. I suppose since medicine is particularly competitive, it may be worth doing an EPQ. I guess my point was that, if you're a poor candidate, doing an EPQ won't put you ahead of a good candidate who has not done one, provided you have both done the same amount of wider reading.
:colonhash:

Spoiler

That's probably true. I'd say, start one if you feel up for it. But remember, if you do end up not actually completing one it won't be the end of the world.
Reply 13
How do you apply to do an EPQ? Or do you just start, i'm very confused?
:toofunny:

Spoiler

Good luck with results day, the EPQ, medicine and Oxbridge! :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by sleepinglions
I did the EPQ, and found it to be a great experience. You have the chance to research absolutely anything, I chose behavioural economics, which was a topic related to the degree I was applying for at the time, which gave me something extra to talk about on my personal statement, which isn't covered on the A level specification. If i had an interview, it would have also given me something to talk about as I had conducted extensive research and was super interested in my topic. So if you do decide to do the EPQ, make sure it's within a field you're genuinely interested in, and don't mind reading articles, watching TED talks etc.

It also really helped with my transition to university as I developed essential essay writing skills, which quite a few people didn't have, such as referencing. The only disadvantage I can think of was maybe presenting, as I'm kinda shy, but even then it really helped me, as I've had to present quite a few times at university. So if you have the time, I'd totally go for it.

I got an A* on mine and would be happy to help further if I can, so feel free to message me at any point :h:

How did you start the EPQ? (Like how did you apply)
What examination board did you do it with?
How long did it take?, could I do it over the summer holiday?

Original post by Glib
How did you start the EPQ? (Like how did you apply)
What examination board did you do it with?
How long did it take?, could I do it over the summer holiday?

My school gave us a presentation about the EPQ, and if you were interested you had to attend a few introductory classes, before being allocated a supervisor. I believe this was towards the end of Year 12.

I did mine with AQA.

I don't know anyone that completed it over the summer, mainly because you have a project log book and regularly meet with your supervisor. So, while you can undertake a large part of the research during the summer and plan it, I'd recommend not finishing it over the summer, as you won't have guidance from your supervisor.

I've attached a gantt chart I made, to give you a rough idea of my timescale ( See my post below :smile: )
(edited 7 years ago)
Hopefully the attachment works in this post!
Original post by LDS16
I am sooo glad I'm not doing physics :s-smilie: 95.8328% of it bores me so much :colondollar: the only things I find quite interesting are related to chemistry :u:

Thats the thang tho
I find the physics hard but interesting (i couldnt bear dropping it when I found out we were doing electromagnetics, astrophisics and nuclear physics :fan:)
chemistry is just
w
o
w
dude :biggrin:

:rofl: they said that :rofl:
they should be fired :fuhrer:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest