The Student Room Group

Psychology A-Level

Thinking of taking psychology at A-Level. I don't really know what it involves or if it is worth taking. Any opinions? What sort of things does the course offer. Thanks
Reply 1
i was unsure about taking Psychology A level but after a few lessons it became my favourite subject
it all depends on which exam board your school uses but if its AQA then you will probably study
- approaches to psychology
- attachment
- social influence
- psychopathology
- research methods
i found all of theses extremely interesting
also some universities view psychology as a science and i found that if you want to go into a medical profession, universities like psychology.
Starts off interesting with social influence, then it all turns to **** after research methods,
Reply 3
Original post by jessicaharker51
Thinking of taking psychology at A-Level. I don't really know what it involves or if it is worth taking. Any opinions? What sort of things does the course offer. Thanks

I did psychology on the AQA spec and I absolutely loved it! It's such an interesting subject and is easy too. It does involve a lot of memory though, as you have to remember a bunch of studies.

But again, it's interesting and if you're someone who studies and doesn't push subjects aside, you'll be perfectly fine!

Good luck

I did OCR and really enjoyed it. In first year we studied 3 studies under each approach: social, cognitive, individual differences, biological and developmental. In second year we studied Forensic and Sport psychology (though most people did health and clinical instead of sport).

I highly recommend it 😊
Reply 5
Psychology alevel is a memory test which requires little understanding. If you put the effort in to memorise the content then you'll get an A
Hey there, first thing i would suggest is to read the specification of the exam board you would be using.

I did the OCR exam this year but they have just changed specifications, it is still very similar though and from what I have heard most exam boards are similar.

You will largely learn a number of important studies that you have to know inside out and be able to evaluate, as well as a general idea of the different approaches to and beliefs within psychology. My AS exam was pretty much a big memory test tbh, A2 was more about being able to explain the concepts in the studies.

Frankly, on the face of it the course is not hugely interesting and entertaining unless you take it upon yourself to go into lots more depth. However, I found it an easier exam than my others.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by EYoung:)
i was unsure about taking Psychology A level but after a few lessons it became my favourite subject
it all depends on which exam board your school uses but if its AQA then you will probably study
- approaches to psychology
- attachment
- social influence
- psychopathology
- research methods
i found all of theses extremely interesting
also some universities view psychology as a science and i found that if you want to go into a medical profession, universities like psychology.

Yes our school does follow AQA. It does sound really interesting apart from maybe the research methods part. What was the best and worst part of the course for you?
Original post by fefssdf
Psychology alevel is a memory test which requires little understanding. If you put the effort in to memorise the content then you'll get an A

Yeah I agree!
Plus the topics are interesting
But
Research methods is hell
I'm with AQA
Psychology is currently my favourite subject
It's very interesting

You need good memory and application
You have to remember a ton of studies, if your good at remembering stuff you should do well. Most of the topics are interesting like social influence and psychopathology but some are boring as hell like research methods but its good overall.
Original post by idontknowmedoyou
You have to remember a ton of studies, if your good at remembering stuff you should do well. Most of the topics are interesting like social influence and psychopathology but some are boring as hell like research methods but its good overall.

Glad I'm not the only one who hated research methods haha :biggrin:

possibly a biased response because i love the lesson - BUT... alas

i'm doing my course on the new eduqas spec and it involves studying 6 different approaches to childhood development, memory, murderers, mental illnesses etc. within each approach there's a large key study and a key therapy and many strengths/weaknesses that go along with it. it's a pretty big subject.

it involves a lot of memory as the actual exam questions don't break down every single approach and their components but instead selects randomly, ie there could be a question on the strengths and weaknesses of cognitive behavioural therapy OR it could be on psychosurgery... the possibilities are endless... so at the end of the year it's mostly just cram cram cram and get in as much as you can.

if you're not into this memory way of learning maybe it's not for you because there's a looot. but it's such a great subject. there's another half of the course which is based on research methods and like how to do studies and it's most likely you'll do your own studies in the second year.

though don't take any of this solidly because the spec/board may be different for your school. i say ask about it where you're planning to go/look online etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello, I've just finished my second year of Psychology at A-level and I'm very glad I did it. We did the OCR examboard, although I believe they have changed the spec now.
In the first year, AS, we had 15 studies to remember in great detail as well as research methods and approaches (social, cognitive, physiological, developmental and individual differences).
In the second year there were 50+ studies to remember but a lot less detail is needed. It sounds overwhelming but it's not so bad. Research methods and approaches are also needed for the second year but a lot of this is repetition from the year before which helps you concentrate more of the studies and theory side of the subject.
Personally, I think people tend to enjoy the theory side of the subject more than anything, learning about the research, as the style of exam answers are very formulaic and this tends to be repetitive and boring. Never the less it's a fascinating subject, there's lots to learn and remember but if you have a good memory and patience you should enjoy it.

Hope this helps.

It depends majorly on the exam board and specification you are being offered. I did the AQA A spec (AQA have 2!), and in my first year I did:
-Research Methods
-Memory
-Attachment
-Social Influence
-Stress
-Psychological Differences

I found it very interesting and took the second year as well. I am going to be studying accounting at university so took it purely because of my interest.

Quick Reply

Latest