The Student Room Group

Do unis use textbooks?

For example, MBB department in U of Sheffield. They recommend 4 books. Will these four books be used during lectures/tutorials? Does the edition matter? What if I got the previous edition instead of the latest one? (I've heard this is not that bad as editions don't revise that much stuff but.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯?)

It seems a lot of people use the lecture slides on their ipads or print them out and just take that to class. Is this true or have I just been seeing what a small proportion of students actually use?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jackien1
For example, MBB department in U of Sheffield. They recommend 4 books. Will these four books be used during lectures/tutorials? Does the edition matter? What if I got the previous edition instead of the latest one? (I've heard this is not that bad as editions don't revise that much stuff but.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯?)

It seems a lot of people use the lecture slides on their ipads or print them out and just take that to class. Is this true or have I just been seeing what a small proportion of students actually use?

Thanks!

It depends on the university and course, but its most likely the textbooks will be for assignments and for reading at home. You might discuss something you've read in a seminar though. Yes many people at uni will print off slides and then annotate them.
At my uni they have a set book usually. Some weeks for seminars we are asked to read a chapter from the set book. But for assignments we are expected to use both set book and do wider reading.
I record lectures on my recorder but print lecture notes for assignments.

Thanks!

It will hugely vary by the course. Most of our modules do not follow textbooks but there is suggested reading.
Remember that a lot of universities have a deal with the university bookshop to recommend a set number of books for each course. Often the books aren't vital or very useful and are also readily available from the library or second hand (although beware - a book that is available second hand in large numbers isn't a useful book).

Never ever buy books before starting a course. Always wait to find out in person what is recommended (and ask second years!).

If you're desperate to get ahead then your local library will be able to source these books through inter library loans from university libraries. There's no need to spend any money.

Thanks!

Mine had textbook list of like 20 but they only really mentioned about 4 from the list throughout the year so I would wait till you get there or try speak to second year at the uni doing your course
Depends on course. They have always been pretty much essential in my studies as lectures are simply not in depth enough.

I have come across many students who do not buy textbooks and I think thats pretty insane. You should have the main one and not buying it is false economy imo.

Should you have the latest edition? It depends and that can be subject specific as well. Some subjects it is important because the course depends on knowing the latest developments. Its false economy again or extra hassle knowing your copy is x years out of date.

2nd hand and buying a copy with someone else or within a group can work.

Considering you are going to get into debt by £40,000-£50,000, then I think trying to save a few £ by not buying books is stupid. I see them as investment. If you wnat to recoup the money just sell them the following year for half price. I would wait a few weeks or talk to a few srudents in the year above and they cna give you an idea what was important.
Reply 7
Original post by Seamus123
At my uni they have a set book usually. Some weeks for seminars we are asked to read a chapter from the set book. But for assignments we are expected to use both set book and do wider reading.
I record lectures on my recorder but print lecture notes for assignments.

Original post by Plagioclase
It will hugely vary by the course. Most of our modules do not follow textbooks but there is suggested reading.

Original post by LPauling
Mine had textbook list of like 20 but they only really mentioned about 4 from the list throughout the year so I would wait till you get there or try speak to second year at the uni doing your course

What course are you doing?
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
Depends on course. They have always been pretty much essential in my studies as lectures are simply not in depth enough.

I have come across many students who do not buy textbooks and I think thats pretty insane. You should have the main one and not buying it is false economy imo.

Should you have the latest edition? It depends and that can be subject specific as well. Some subjects it is important because the course depends on knowing the latest developments. Its false economy again or extra hassle knowing your copy is x years out of date.

2nd hand and buying a copy with someone else or within a group can work.

Considering you are going to get into debt by £40,000-£50,000, then I think trying to save a few £ by not buying books is stupid. I see them as investment. If you wnat to recoup the money just sell them the following year for half price. I would wait a few weeks or talk to a few srudents in the year above and they cna give you an idea what was important.

What course do you do?

Yeah that's insane.

I'm not going into debt.

I do a science, what are you doing/hoping to do?
Reply 10
I do a science, what are you doing/hoping to do?

Medical genetics
Medical genetics

I would say to wait till you arrive and talk to people about it will save money in the long run
Reply 12
I would say to wait till you arrive and talk to people about it will save money in the long run

Where do people get second hand books?
My course is Criminology. Last year I spent quite a bit on books - or rather my kids and grandkids did for me. Some of the material had to be right up to date, but each of the 4 modules had a set book.
What course do you do?

Yeah that's insane.

I'm not going into debt.

You are still paying for uni whether you are borrowing the money or not.
Find people who do your course.
You have some good general advice already about delaying your purchases or buying second hand.
Where do people get second hand books?

Waterstones do a second hand books in store. My uni has a website that students use to sell second hand books. Facebook pages like "Uni Freshers 2016 at ...uni" usually have people listing them on as well

Earth Sciences.
Reply 17
Original post by 999tigger
You are still paying for uni whether you are borrowing the money or not.
Find people who do your course.
You have some good general advice already about delaying your purchases or buying second hand.

Yeah, but I'm not going into debt, which is specifically what you said so I just wanted to tell you I'm not in case that affects your advice in any way.
Reply 18
Original post by Plagioclase
Earth Sciences.

Ahhh, hence the rocks.
Yeah, but I'm not going into debt, which is specifically what you said so I just wanted to tell you I'm not in case that affects your advice in any way.

Most people borrow money form student loans , unless ofc you are non EU. Still doesnt get past the fact that one way or another someone is paying tens of thousands for your education. Textbooks are an important study tool. Do as people ahve suggested and talk to people from your course in the years above. They can point you to which books are important.

I cant comment for your area because i'm social sciences.

Quick Reply

Latest