The Student Room Group

What's the most interesting thing you have learned this year in maths?

Scroll to see replies

definitely dimensional analysis too! :smile: such a powerful tool
Original post by Aph
Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are probably my favourite thing about this year. Although stuff like defining eiθ=cos(θ)+isin(θ)e^{i\theta}=cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta) was also pretty interesting. Even if my exam board does use j and not i:erm:

what exam board is this?
Reply 62
Original post by Imperion
what exam board is this?

OCR MEI
Reply 63
Original post by Imperion
what exam board is this?

Probs OCR MEI, they do this and I dunno anyone else who does
edit: ninja'd, I didn't expect them to reply so fast lol
Original post by physicsmaths
Haha the struggle is real.
I always do 8x8 then take away 8.
I know, me is proper smart.

You've made me realise I can't quite do 8x8 either.

Great.
So it's not exactly interesting, more a joke a Maths teacher told me once.

sin x
n = 6

It's so bad it's good xD took me a while at first hehe
Reply 66
Original post by Madgiddypig
So it's not exactly interesting, more a joke a Maths teacher told me once.

sin x
n = 6

It's so bad it's good xD took me a while at first hehe

your formatting confused me

I presume you mean sinxn=6 \frac{\sin x}{n} = 6
Reply 67
Original post by Pentaquark
definitely dimensional analysis too! :smile: such a powerful tool

https://what-if.xkcd.com/11/
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
your formatting confused me

I presume you mean sinxn=6 \frac{\sin x}{n} = 6

Haha yes, but I'm not very skilled when it comes to typing xD
M2 was pretty good because its when physics actually started to make sense lol
integration using a trigonometric substitution and everything complex numbers related :smile:
Tbf, drawing massive circles in Gel pens was a really enjoyable experience this year, only part of mechanics I liked

Posted from TSR Mobile
How else would you find the age, Conduct an experiment? Science merely feeds from the scraps of Maths plate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Operator methods for solving differential equations - simple yet so elegant - avoids having to assume solutions for 2nd order.
Original post by drandy76
How else would you find the age, Conduct an experiment? Science merely feeds from the scraps of Maths plate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, no. It's still based on observation, you just use maths to reach a conclusion. Science explains and uses maths but it isn't being "fed from the scraps of maths"

No I didn't, I don't do maths- we did that in Physics. I took the thread title as topic area instead of subject (perfectly valid), So that was the most interesting maths I did in Physics and hence most interesting thing in maths.
(edited 7 years ago)
Possibly complex integration - particularly using complex integrals to solve difficult real integrals, using the residue theorem, etc.
I just learnt Sylow's theorem part 1 (wish me luck for parts 2 & 3). That is a really nice piece of mathematics. It took me ages as well cause I had to learn group actions and orbit-stabiliser theorem before I could see how the proof worked.
The Wason selection task.

You are shown a set of four cards placed on a table, each of which has a number on one side and a colored patch on the other side. The visible faces of the cards show 3, 8, red and brown. Which card(s) must you turn over in order to test the truth of the proposition that if a card shows an even number on one face, then its opposite face is red?

I initially thought the answer was obvious but it turned out my initial intuitive reasoning was flawed :tongue:.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Solution to the Wason selection task.

You are shown a set of four cards placed on a table, each of which has a number on one side and a colored patch on the other side. The visible faces of the cards show 3, 8, red and brown. Which card(s) must you turn over in order to test the truth of the proposition that if a card shows an even number on one face, then its opposite face is red?

I thought the answer easy and intuitive but it turns out my reasoning was flawed.

Spoiler

Original post by Aph

Spoiler

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest