The Student Room Group

Help please!! c: A-Level choice opinions

Hey! Okay so at the moment it seems i'm most likely to take English Literature, Maths and Physics. HOWEVER I honestly don't know if it fits my character or I just aspire to like Maths and Physics? I love debates and I love the thought of Maths and Physics but if it's so complex perhaps I'm just making a big mistake just because I would like to know it but I don't know as much about it as those in my class. Any help? Perhaps I'm just overthinking or if you have any A-Levels you recommend let me know! :smile:
Reply 1
How good are you at Maths and Physics?
Have you thought about what kind of university course you'd like to apply for?
Those are great subjects for keeping your options open, but it really depends on whether you think you can get the grades. If maths or physics bored you or if you just don't learn in ways that allow you to do well in those subjects they're not a good idea. All your options are intense, so make sure you've thought it through. But if you can do it, uni's love subjects like that! So that's great if you don't know where you're going after this yet.

If you have some idea of what you want to do after A-Levels (job or uni wise) try to factor that in. Make sure at least one of your subjects is relevant to your career path and make sure that the uni courses you might take will accept those A-Levels. That's not me saying if you want to be a manager you should do business. Actually English would be great for that since it shows communication, understanding and literacy. What I'm saying is, you're probably fine, your subjects give a wide range, but try to think about it more than what subjects you should like and more of what you'd like to do with your life.

And don't worry about not being sure, I've worried about mine for ages! I did loads of research and stressed way too much. Try not to go there. As long as you can handle your choices, you like them, and it'll get you where you want to go, you'll be fine. Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by PyjamaNerd
Those are great subjects for keeping your options open, but it really depends on whether you think you can get the grades. If maths or physics bored you or if you just don't learn in ways that allow you to do well in those subjects they're not a good idea. All your options are intense, so make sure you've thought it through. But if you can do it, uni's love subjects like that! So that's great if you don't know where you're going after this yet.

If you have some idea of what you want to do after A-Levels (job or uni wise) try to factor that in. Make sure at least one of your subjects is relevant to your career path and make sure that the uni courses you might take will accept those A-Levels. That's not me saying if you want to be a manager you should do business. Actually English would be great for that since it shows communication, understanding and literacy. What I'm saying is, you're probably fine, your subjects give a wide range, but try to think about it more than what subjects you should like and more of what you'd like to do with your life.

And don't worry about not being sure, I've worried about mine for ages! I did loads of research and stressed way too much. Try not to go there. As long as you can handle your choices, you like them, and it'll get you where you want to go, you'll be fine. Good luck!

Thankyou for your response!
Yes I am planning to do Law at University and possibly English Literature is the best subject for that. I do love the subjects that I might be taking- I suppose I'm just questioning whether I can handle it at such an intense level?
If I'm a natural debater- is it possible I could also do Maths and Physics?
I love astrophysics and look at many documentaries about it but I'm just wondering if they're really as hard as many say.
We're in this together! I've too been trying to research a lot but I suppose there's never a solid answer?
Reply 4
Original post by Azarashi
How good are you at Maths and Physics?
Have you thought about what kind of university course you'd like to apply for?

I think I'll most likely get an A grade at GCSE- but I don't know if that's good enough?
Yes, I'm going to apply for Law and thankfully these options are in favour for that course
Reply 5
Original post by TheNerdxP
I think I'll most likely get an A grade at GCSE- but I don't know if that's good enough?
Yes, I'm going to apply for Law and thankfully these options are in favour for that course

You will probably be fine if you work hard. One of my classmates got A* at GCSE, E at AS. Another got B at GCSE, but she worked hard and got C. A-A* students just get separated even more at A Level, and I think if you didn't get A at GCSE you will struggle quite a bit. The jump is biiig.

If you want to do Law, did you think about subjects like Politics or History? Of course Maths and Physics are strong and impressive subjects so I think they're still great choices.
Thankyou for your response!
Yes I am planning to do Law at University and possibly English Literature is the best subject for that. I do love the subjects that I might be taking- I suppose I'm just questioning whether I can handle it at such an intense level?
If I'm a natural debater- is it possible I could also do Maths and Physics?
I love astrophysics and look at many documentaries about it but I'm just wondering if they're really as hard as many say.
We're in this together! I've too been trying to research a lot but I suppose there's never a solid answer?

Law? Awesome so we're pretty similar! I'm looking towards Forensic Psychology, so working in a court room. The application of Psychology to Law :u: If it helps, my choices have been Biology, Psychology, Law and Gov & Pol, plus I already have an A-Level in History. The first two were chosen for the Psychology side, but the others are picked for debating aspects, relevance etc. Plus Biology and History are 'Traditional' or 'facilitating' subjects, which most unis like.

LSE has a good rep for Law degrees so I tried looking to them for you. their website's Law course requirements states:"There is no ideal subject combination for Law. The selectors are looking for evidence of academic excellence, scholarly potential and curiosity. As with all programmes at LSE at least two traditional academic subjects are preferred: potential applicants are referred to the general advice on subject combinations and non-preferred subjects." (linked)
However it also states "A high level of literacy is expected and this is often evidenced by an applicant's choice of post-16 subjects. Applicants offering mostly quantitative subjects at A level should demonstrate their ability to cope with these aspects of the programme through their personal statement, teacher’s reference, extra-curricular activities or performance in GCSE or equivalent qualifications."
Which basically means that your second two choices may not be appropriate for law. You may have to look into swapping one for an essay based or more relevant subject, but the other can be passed under the curiosity and display your 'academic excellence'.

Personally, I would switch out one science for another traditional subject. But obviously it's all up to you. You won't get far if you're unhappy.

Also try looking at one of Cambridge's lists on good subjects to take here: http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions/ug/apply/a-level-combinations

You'll figure it out!
Reply 7
You will probably be fine if you work hard. One of my classmates got A* at GCSE, E at AS. Another got B at GCSE, but she worked hard and got C. A-A* students just get separated even more at A Level, and I think if you didn't get A at GCSE you will struggle quite a bit. The jump is biiig.

If you want to do Law, did you think about subjects like Politics or History? Of course Maths and Physics are strong and impressive subjects so I think they're still great choices.

You see I need to also consider subjects that I'm more likely to get an A/A* in, is it uncommon to get these grades in the subjects?
Yes I've thought about it and I'm still considering them but I'm not sure if History is just full of dates to remember and Politics about Marxists, Feminists etc because it bored me talking about them at GCSE Sociology. It's kind of a nuisance that both Maths and Physics kind of go hand in hand I suppose.
What's your opinion on Politics?
Didn't you post a thread exactly like this two or so days ago?
Reply 9
Original post by 34908seikj
Didn't you post a thread exactly like this two or so days ago?

No sorry that was to see if there's any links that people could recommend ^.^
You see I need to also consider subjects that I'm more likely to get an A/A* in, is it uncommon to get these grades in the subjects?
Yes I've thought about it and I'm still considering them but I'm not sure if History is just full of dates to remember and Politics about Marxists, Feminists etc because it bored me talking about them at GCSE Sociology. It's kind of a nuisance that both Maths and Physics kind of go hand in hand I suppose.
What's your opinion on Politics?

Actually, no. I think that Maths and Further Maths have the highest percentage of A/A* grades. But this isn't because the A Levels are easy, it's probably because people who aren't good at maths won't take it anyway. Most people taking it have some natural aptitude for it, I guess.

I can't say much on Politics since I never did it, but I suggested those because the Law applicants in my year did them. I did both Maths and Physics though so at least I can talk about those from my own experience.
Reply 11
Original post by PyjamaNerd
Law? Awesome so we're pretty similar! I'm looking towards Forensic Psychology, so working in a court room. The application of Psychology to Law :u: If it helps, my choices have been Biology, Psychology, Law and Gov & Pol, plus I already have an A-Level in History. The first two were chosen for the Psychology side, but the others are picked for debating aspects, relevance etc. Plus Biology and History are 'Traditional' or 'facilitating' subjects, which most unis like.

LSE has a good rep for Law degrees so I tried looking to them for you. their website's Law course requirements states:"There is no ideal subject combination for Law. The selectors are looking for evidence of academic excellence, scholarly potential and curiosity. As with all programmes at LSE at least two traditional academic subjects are preferred: potential applicants are referred to the general advice on subject combinations and non-preferred subjects." (linked)
However it also states "A high level of literacy is expected and this is often evidenced by an applicant's choice of post-16 subjects. Applicants offering mostly quantitative subjects at A level should demonstrate their ability to cope with these aspects of the programme through their personal statement, teacher’s reference, extra-curricular activities or performance in GCSE or equivalent qualifications."
Which basically means that your second two choices may not be appropriate for law. You may have to look into swapping one for an essay based or more relevant subject, but the other can be passed under the curiosity and display your 'academic excellence'.

Personally, I would switch out one science for another traditional subject. But obviously it's all up to you. You won't get far if you're unhappy.

Also try looking at one of Cambridge's lists on good subjects to take here: http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions/ug/apply/a-level-combinations

You'll figure it out!

Thankyou this has been most helpful!
You see, I am really considering Philosophy but I'm not sure whether it's just facts to remember subject or an actual debating one?
Also what's your opinion on Politics?
To be honest I'm a very all of nothing person so it'll frustrate me if I make the wrong decision. I mainly chose Maths because I chose Physics and it'll help a lot with it so I wouldn't be sure about taking Maths alone?
Reply 12
Actually, no. I think that Maths and Further Maths have the highest percentage of A/A* grades. But this isn't because the A Levels are easy, it's probably because people who aren't good at maths won't take it anyway. Most people taking it have some natural aptitude for it, I guess.

I can't say much on Politics since I never did it, but I suggested those because the Law applicants in my year did them. I did both Maths and Physics though so at least I can talk about those from my own experience.

May I ask how you found both Maths and Physics personally?
I'm just trying to find out if it's as much work as many say :smile:
May I ask how you found both Maths and Physics personally?
I'm just trying to find out if it's as much work as many say :smile:

Hm I took Maths, Physics and Chemistry. Personally I found Chemistry the hardest, although that might just be the specification (OCR B Salters, have yet to find a person who likes it). At GCSE I could do well in Maths without work, but at A Level I learnt the hard way that A Levels weren't gonna work the same way. Got a D in Jan mocks, I really underestimated the difference between GCSE and A Level. But there was enough time for me to pull it up to an A in the end. It really is quite a lot of work. Although I can't say I did this myself, the majority of my class did every single exercise in the textbooks and every single past paper that's ever existed.... and then they ask for more questions. I think with practice, you can do well, but it would be difficult to do if you didn't like it. This goes for every STEM subject. For Physics, I really liked it. It was probably my favourite A Level. It's fairly light on content, not really that much to cover. It relies heavily on maths and I think you will find it rather challenging if you didn't take maths A Level as well.
Thankyou this has been most helpful!
You see, I am really considering Philosophy but I'm not sure whether it's just facts to remember subject or an actual debating one?
Also what's your opinion on Politics?
To be honest I'm a very all of nothing person so it'll frustrate me if I make the wrong decision. I mainly chose Maths because I chose Physics and it'll help a lot with it so I wouldn't be sure about taking Maths alone?

Sorry for not replying! Have you sorted your options yet? If not:

Philosophy, is apparently remembering arguments and applying them correctly, I don't know if that helps. I've never had any experience personally so yeah. would go pretty well I assume.

Politics is something I'm incredibly interested in. It's very much debate, and it requires though understanding of a variety of fields, which can be difficult. It's something you have to be passionate about to do well in I'd think. However while the version of the course I'm up for requires very little history work and more practicality and debating, my tutor expressed to us on enrolment that my college has chosen to do so purely to get an advantage over most other politics A-Levels which usually require memorising a whole lot and not much else. I think it would be worth checking with your 6th form or college about what the courses will involve since specs vary a lot in the humanities. If you were lucky enough to get a more interesting version like the one I'm in for then it would go really well towards a Law degree (hopefully) since politics is where all laws start. I'd recommend it, but then I'm biased.

If you only took maths because you took physics, why drop physics for maths? Go for your physics. If you're interested and have the ability you'll do great :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest