The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Do St. Andrews give contextual offers?

Hi, I've recently finished my AS exams and am looking into universities. I am from a disadvantaged background (low participation neighbourhood, first of immediate family to go to university, etc) so I was wondering if this would be taken into account during the admissions process.

I am planning to study Astrophysics, and St Andrews seems like a top choice. Some of the other universities I'm applying to (Leeds/York/Edinburgh) take into account contextual data - they may provide an alternative offer of up to two grades below the typical offer (i.e ABB instead of AAA).

The entry requirements for the course I want to do at St Andrews is AAA, but would this possibly be reduced to something like AAB due to contextual data?

Thanks.
I think they do take it into account, can you get these factors mentioned in your school's reference? I would phone admissions and ask where you should include this as well just to check.

My partner got an interview for Physics as he came from low-attaining school (most applicants aren't interviewed). He was taken on to the Gateway programme when he failed to meet his conditional offer, which is an alternative first year and then you can move onto the normal second year. You can easily carry on to astrophysics from this course.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by monkyvirus
I think they do take it into account, can you get these factors mentioned in your school's reference? I would phone admissions and ask where you should include this as well just to check.

My partner got an interview for Physics as he came from low-attaining school (most applicants aren't interviewed). He was taken on to the Gateway programme when he failed to meet his conditional offer, which is an alternative first year and then you can move onto the normal second year. You can easily carry on to astrophysics from this course.

Thanks, I'll ask my college's university admissions adviser in September about it. I'll send an email asking them.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, is your partner Scottish? I've heard that the Gateway programme is only for Scottish people and I'm English so I don't know if I'd be eligible for it.
Original post by DarkEnergy
Thanks, I'll ask my college's university admissions adviser in September about it. I'll send an email asking them.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, is your partner Scottish? I've heard that the Gateway programme is only for Scottish people and I'm English so I don't know if I'd be eligible for it.

The official info is here. It seems to be slightly targeted at scots (as they use the scottish deprivation index) but my partner is from Essex with no Scottish connections at all. He was on the course with 2 students from Germany as well.
Reply 4
The official info is here. It seems to be slightly targeted at scots (as they use the scottish deprivation index) but my partner is from Essex with no Scottish connections at all. He was on the course with 2 students from Germany as well.

Thank you.
Reply 5

Hi, sorry to bring this back up. I'm assuming your partner got the standard offer of AAA, what grades did he get instead? And what were his predicted grades? Also, did St Andrews pay for his travel to the uni? That's one of my main concerns if I have to do an interview as I'd have to take quite a few trains.

Thanks
Original post by DarkEnergy
Hi, sorry to bring this back up. I'm assuming your partner got the standard offer of AAA, what grades did he get instead? And what were his predicted grades? Also, did St Andrews pay for his travel to the uni? That's one of my main concerns if I have to do an interview as I'd have to take quite a few trains.

Thanks

Sorry I took so long to reply! :s-smilie:

offer: AAA
predicted: AAAB
Got: ABBC (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry)

They paid for his travel and accomodation from his home in Essex to St Andrews.
Reply 7
Sorry I took so long to reply! :s-smilie:

offer: AAA
predicted: AAAB
Got: ABBC (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry)

They paid for his travel and accomodation from his home in Essex to St Andrews.

No problem, thanks so much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending