The Student Room Group

Is this Job a scam?

So i'm about to start a sales job with a beauty marketing company. They're flying me to milan (where their HQ is) this weekend for training all paid for.

When I come back from training, I have probation period for 6 weeks where I get paid £750 for travel and food.

If I sell enough products in the 6 weeks then I will get a contract to continue working with them.

From then on, i get paid a base salary of £1500 per month + commission (10% of the price of products I sell which range from £25,000-40,000).

During my interview I was told I have to sell at least 1 product per month to carry on and I should expect to make £4000-£6000 per month.

Can anyone shed light? The company is called Baldan Group and i'll be selling top of the range beauty equipment (laser/freezing treatment fat reduction, botox machines, teeth whitening machines, etc.. ) to hotels, beauticians, etc...

Honestly it sounds too good to be true which is making me think its a scam however I''m trying to find out which part is a scam? I don't pay anything upront, only thing that sucks is the £750 for the first 6 weeks which is understandable tbh.

Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

I can't say I've ever heard of them, and I had a quick check on Glassdoor and there are no reviews. It does sound a bit too good to be true, but it's hard to say for sure. What was the application process like? I've had a similar thing before, and I never heard anything from the company again after the first sale. I paid nothing, and I just got commission for selling something on eBay, however I refused to send the company the money until they'd sent the item to the buyer so I didn't have to fork out £3000 to refund them if it didn't turn up :tongue: They were a registered company but I couldn't find much about them online. I'd definitely err on the side of caution and try to find out more. Because I didn't have the product, the company did, when I was selling it there was a risk they wouldn't send it. If they didn't send it, there would've been a pretty serious mess. Thankfully it didn't come to that, but definitely be cautious.
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I can't say I've ever heard of them, and I had a quick check on Glassdoor and there are no reviews. It does sound a bit too good to be true, but it's hard to say for sure. What was the application process like? I've had a similar thing before, and I never heard anything from the company again after the first sale. I paid nothing, and I just got commission for selling something on eBay, however I refused to send the company the money until they'd sent the item to the buyer so I didn't have to fork out £3000 to refund them if it didn't turn up :tongue: They were a registered company but I couldn't find much about them online. I'd definitely err on the side of caution and try to find out more. Because I didn't have the product, the company did, when I was selling it there was a risk they wouldn't send it. If they didn't send it, there would've been a pretty serious mess. Thankfully it didn't come to that, but definitely be cautious.

Thanks for getting back to me. I couldn't find any reviews on Glassdoor either however the company website says they've been about for over 40 years in Italy and they're trying to expand their business to the UK and other Europeans countries.

I would be basically going to different businesses (hotels, beauty clinics, etc..) and offering the products. From my understanding I don't handle any payments, just offer the products/services and the company deals with everything from there on.

I did something similar with Unilever last year which was great however they did only paid £2000 per month which is less than half of what this company is offering the potential to earn.

I'll be going to milan this weekend so i'll see how it goes, if anything seems dodgy and go with the flow but i'l def be very cautious about anything and everything!
Original post by justdateriguy
Thanks for getting back to me. I couldn't find any reviews on Glassdoor either however the company website says they've been about for over 40 years in Italy and they're trying to expand their business to the UK and other Europeans countries.I would be basically going to different businesses (hotels, beauty clinics, etc..) and offering the products. From my understanding I don't handle any payments, just offer the products/services and the company deals with everything from there on.I did something similar with Unilever last year which was great however they did only paid £2000 per month which is less than half of what this company is offering the potential to earn.I'll be going to milan this weekend so i'll see how it goes, if anything seems dodgy and go with the flow but i'l def be very cautious about anything and everything!

Yeah, sounds good! If they ask you to sign anything, read it through carefully and make sure you're not being tied into anything you don't want to be tied into. It is a little weird there being no Glassdoor reviews though, considering it sounds like they're a pretty successful expanding company. Have fun in Milan!
It doesn't sound worth it. So you ONLY get paid if you sell enough products? not good.
Reply 5
the flying over part is prob true and then they'll drug you and sell you into slavery

even seen 'taken'...?
Original post by loveleest
It doesn't sound worth it. So you ONLY get paid if you sell enough products? not good.
No I get paid a base salary so if i don't don't sell any products, I'll still get paid. I am expected too sell at least 1 a month, an average would be 2, 3 in a good month.

Original post by shawtyb
the flying over part is prob true and then they'll drug you and sell you into slavery

even seen 'taken'...?

yeah if you hear of a a british citizen kidnapped in Milan next week you'll know its me :smile:
Reply 7
No I get paid a base salary so if i don't don't sell any products, I'll still get paid. I am expected too sell at least 1 a month, an average would be 2, 3 in a good month.

yeah if you hear of a a british citizen kidnapped in Milan next week you'll know its me :smile:

curious...
how did u hear about the job?
how was you interviewd?
Original post by shawtyb
curious...
how did u hear about the job?
how was you interviewd?

Think I applied on either reed or another popular job site..

Interview was fine, the guy basically did more of the talking, explaining what the company's about, what they do, their plans for expanding in the UK... asked about my experience n that.

Was a really laid back interview tbh

This is there Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/baldangroup.it/
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Think I applied on either reed or another popular job site..

Interview was fine, the guy basically did more of the talking, explaining what the company's about, what they do, their plans for expanding in the UK... asked about my experience n that.

Was a really laid back interview tbh

no i mean like was it an interview in person or via phone or skype etc
Original post by shawtyb
no i mean like was it an interview in person or via phone or skype etc

It was in person at their office in central london
It was in person at their office in central london

so why would you have to go to milan for training and not london? doesnt seem right to me
Original post by shawtyb
so why would you have to go to milan for training and not london? doesnt seem right to me

thats exactly what I'm thinking. They're paying for everything so it's not like I'm out of pocket.

Only thing i could think of them doing is making me sign a contract when I'm there?
thats exactly what I'm thinking. They're paying for everything so it's not like I'm out of pocket.

Only thing i could think of them doing is making me sign a contract when I'm there?

i still wouldnt trust it. do some thorough research on the company.
in google put the company name followed by scam and see if anything comes up
if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. trust your gut instinct.
Reply 15
So i'm about to start a sales job with a beauty marketing company. They're flying me to milan (where their HQ is) this weekend for training all paid for.

When I come back from training, I have probation period for 6 weeks where I get paid £750 for travel and food.

If I sell enough products in the 6 weeks then I will get a contract to continue working with them.

From then on, i get paid a base salary of £1500 per month + commission (10% of the price of products I sell which range from £25,000-40,000).

During my interview I was told I have to sell at least 1 product per month to carry on and I should expect to make £4000-£6000 per month.

Can anyone shed light? The company is called Baldan Group and i'll be selling top of the range beauty equipment (laser/freezing treatment fat reduction, botox machines, teeth whitening machines, etc.. ) to hotels, beauticians, etc...

Honestly it sounds too good to be true which is making me think its a scam however I''m trying to find out which part is a scam? I don't pay anything upront, only thing that sucks is the £750 for the first 6 weeks which is understandable tbh.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds fishy. If you end up getting killed, don't say we didn't warn you. Don't go : <
Original post by sameehaiqbal
if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. trust your gut instinct.

tbh i had the same feeling when working with unilever last year but it turned out great so I'm not too sure tbh
tbh i had the same feeling when working with unilever last year but it turned out great so I'm not too sure tbh

Yeah but thats a well known company. Theres hardly anything about this company on the internet apart from a facebook page. You need to do thorough research and know who you are working for.
Original post by sameehaiqbal
Yeah but thats a well known company. Theres hardly anything about this company on the internet apart from a facebook page. You need to do thorough research and know who you are working for.

it was an agency that worked alongside unilever so it was a self employed job which made me wary of the whole situation. Turned out to be the best work experience i've had.

This Baldan Group i'm considering to work for states they've been around for 40 years in Italy and they're now expanding into other markets. Might just got for it and see what happens. Worst outcome is i've water 2 days in Milan i guess
Original post by shawtyb

A lot of companies do training in other countries, iirc some american investment banks ship new grads to New York for 6-10 weeks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending